Subject: [MSEC] Brief summary of msec meeting at 58th IETF

From: canetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:55:18 -0500 (EST)

Folks,

Following is a brief summary of MSEC meeting in 58th IETF, and the
expected deliverables within the coming months. (This is NOT
the minutes. These will come later.)

Ran and Thomas

Status and discussion of active I-Ds:

* MSEC architecture draft: Past preliminary revision of ADs, to be updated
  and  submitted to IESG. (Was not discussed at the meeting.)

* MIKEY draft: Got comments from IESG. Comments and proposed changes were
  presented. A revised draft to be submitted within few weeks.

* GKM architecture draft: Passed WG last call. Comments and proposed changes
  presented. To be updated and handed over to the ADs within few weeks.

* GSAKMP draft: New and greatly updated version was just submitted.
  Main changes were presented. To be ready for WG last call before
  next IETF meeting.

* DHHMAC draft: Passed WG last call. Main outstanding issue: Does this draft
  has constituency within MSEC. In discussion some points of merit were
  pointed out, and it was decided to ask the authors of DHHMAC to elaborate
  in the daft on the uses of DHHMAC within msec, and hand DHHMAC to the ADs
  for IESG approval.

* MESP document: Old draft to be updated considerably, to reflect the fact
  that msec has decided to work directly with ESP, following the
  incorporation of MSEC's needs into IPSEC's ESPbis. New version to be
  submitted before the next IETF meeting.

Further discussion:

* George Gross discussed the interaction of AAA with MSEC's policy token and
  key management. It was accepted that the duscussion be incorporated
  within the policy token document.

* Ran suggested that there be an additional document that specifies the how
  MSEC's key management protocols can be used for application-layer data
  protection protocols such as SRTP or smime. The suggestion was favorably
  received.

Additional expected deliverables before the next IETF:

* First version of requirements document
* Last call for the TESLA informational draft

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:12:59 -0800

Ran,

>   in the daft on the uses of DHHMAC within msec, and hand DHHMAC to the ADs

I recorded in the minutes that Steffen offered a rationale for
including DHHMAC in MSEC, namely, DHHMAC better aligns MIKEY with
the ITU H.323 teleconferencing security specification, H.325.
We might want to discuss this further.  We need people who have
both read and understood the H.325 specification to evaluate this
proposition.

Mark