Subject: Re: [MSEC] RE: MIKEY Question

From: "Steffen Fries" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:32:29 +0100

Hi Elisabetta,

I've got a question to the MAC Calculation in MIKEY. In the 08 
version of the draft, section 5.2, the following abstact 
describes the MAC calculation on the receiver side:

* Calculate the MAC/signature over the entire MIKEY message, 
  except the MAC/Signature field, and add the MAC/signature in
  the field. In the case of the verification message, the
  Identity_i || Identity_r || Timestamp MUST follow directly
  after the MIKEY message in the Verification MAC calculation.
  Note that the identities and the timestamp that are added are
  identical to those transported in the ID and T payloads.

I have two questions to this: 
1. Since the ID payload is an optional field, can I assume,
   that the sender did not include the ID field in the hash
   calculation, when this ID payload is not part of the
   message?
2. When calculating the hash over the entire message, as
   described above, do I simply exclude the MAC field from the 
   message or is it set to a defined value, e.g., 0x00?

Regards
	Steffen

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: "Elisabetta Carrara (KI/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:00:37 +0100

Hi Steffen,

>    calculation, when this ID payload is not part of the

correct

>    message or is it set to a defined value, e.g., 0x00?

you exclude the MAC field.

Cheers
/E