Subject: [MSEC] Problem Statement for Multicast Listener Discovery Signalling submitted to MAGMA

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:10:51 +1000

Hi,

We've submitted an (individual) draft to MAGMA, entitled:

"Trust Models and Security in Multicast Listener Discovery"

While this draft is submitted to another WG, there
may be overlap in interest from MSEC members (and it
was suggested that we might announce here).

Abstract:

  The Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) is used by IPv6 routers to
  discover the presence of multicast listeners (i.e.  nodes that wish
  to receive multicast packets) on their directly attached links, and
  to discover which multicast addresses are of interest to those
  neighbouring nodes.  The existing protocol specification (MLDv2)
  discusses the effects of on-link forgery of MLD packets but provides
  no protection from on-link attacks.

  By taking advantage of or abusing Multicast Listener Discovery, bogus
  devices may cause incorrect state and disruption to multicast or
  unicast packet delivery.  This memo considers the trust models for
  the MLD protocols, and their interaction as well as their interaction
  with link-layer and multicast proxy devices.  It provides a security
  and threat analysis for each model.

This draft should appear in the repository soon,
but is currently available from:

http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/ipv6/draft-daley-magma-smld-prob-00.txt

A notice will also be going to the MAGMA WG (so apologies if
you receive this twice).

Greg and Gopi

_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:22:40 -0700

are you requesting a slot to present this at the msec meeting or will it be 
presented somewhere else in San Diego?

Mark

---

From: Greg Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:02:00 +1000

Hi Mark,

I'm not requesting a slot, but attempting to
raise awareness of something which has been
submitted to MAGMA.

If it's more appropriate for this to be
dealt with in MSEC (or needs input from MSEC),
then that's possibly worth discussing.

At this stage there's no confirmation that it
will be in MAGMA's session, but there is some
chance depending on interest.

Greg Daley

Mark Baugher wrote:
> are you requesting a slot to present this at the msec meeting or will it 
> be presented somewhere else in San Diego?
> 
> Mark

---

From: Thomas Hardjono <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:09:17 -0700

Thanks, Greg.

You're most welcome to present the work in MSEC.

It would be an opportunity to raise questions/discussions regarding the 
draft and the appropriate home for your draft.

cheers,

thomas
------