Subject: RE: [MSEC] standardizing source auth schemes

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:26:43 -0400

Are there any IPR issues with TESLA, as possibility was alluded in this
email?

Atul

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of ext Dondeti,
> Lakshminath
> Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 11:32 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [MSEC] standardizing source auth schemes
> 
> That out of the way :-), we have RSA-sig at one end of the spectrum 
> (high communication and computation complexity) and TESLA at 
> the other 
> end (low overhead, but needs loose time sync).  They are both well 
> understood and belong in standards track (modulo any IPR issues with 
> TESLA; this is probably a good time for IPR announcements, if any).
> 
_______________________________________________
msec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/msec

---

From: Mark Baugher <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:48:59 -0700

It's not possible to answer the question "are there any IPR issues with 
TESLA?"  The "IPR issues" (potential patent claims) that matter in the 
future might not be known today.  I don't know of any IPR encumbrances 
on TESLA.  The basic algorithm is over twenty years old.  
Unfortunately, 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msec-tesla-intro-02.txt 
is formatted incorrectly and does not use the current IETF boilerplate, 
which requires IPR statements from authors.  That's at least a start 
towards answering "are there an known IPR encumbrances on TESLA?"

Mark

---

From: canetti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:53:16 -0400 (EDT)

There are no IPR issues with TESLA.

Thanks Mark for pointing out the lack of IPR statement in the draft.
Will fix.

Ran