Subject: [netmod] FW: WG Action: NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:33:49 +0200

Please see below the announcement of the formation of the NETMOD Working
Group. Congratulations and thanks to all the folks who worked hard and
contributed to the formation of the Working Group. David Harrington and
David Partain are the co-chairs of the WG, let us congratulate them and
help them in their ambitious task. This team and this community has now
the challenge of proving that the development of a data modeling
language for management is possible in the IETF and that lessons of the
past were well learned for the benefit of the network operators and of
the devices and management applications developers. 

We have created the [email-masked] list. Please subscribe to this list
and move all discussions from the ngo and yang lists that fall under the
scope of netmod to the new list. I suggest that we keep [email-masked] for
future not-chartered NETCONF discussions and that we shut down the yang
list in the next few weeks. 

Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 5:44 AM
To: IETF Announcement list
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: WG Action: NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod) 

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Operations and
Management Area.  For additional information, please contact the Area
Directors or the WG Chairs.

NETCONF Data Modeling Language (netmod)
---------------------------------------------

Chair(s): 

David Harrington <[email-masked]> David Partain
<[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):

Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>
Ronald Bonica >[email-masked]>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:
Dan Romascanu <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: in msg body: subscribe
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/netmod/

Description:

The NETCONF Working Group has completed a base protocol to be used for
configuration management.  However, the NETCONF protocol does not
include a standard content layer.  The specifications do not include a
modeling language or accompanying rules that can be used to model the
management information that is to be configured using NETCONF. This has
resulted in inconsistent syntax and interoperability problems. The
purpose of NETMOD is to support the ongoing development of IETF and
vendor-defined data models for NETCONF.

NETMOD's requirements are drawn from the RCDML requirements draft
(draft-presuhn-rcdml) and documents referenced therein.

The WG will define a "human-friendly" modeling language defining the
semantics of operational data, configuration data, notifications, and
operations.  This language will focus on readability and ease of use.
This language must be able to serve as the normative description of
NETCONF data models.  The WG will use YANG (draft-bjorklund-yang) as its
starting point for this language.

Language abstractions that facilitate model extensibility and reuse have
been identified as a work area and will be considered as a work item or
may be integrated into the YANG document based on WG consensus.

The WG will define a canonical mapping of this language to NETCONF XML
instance documents, the on-the-wire format of YANG-defined XML content.
Only data models defined in YANG will have to adhere to this on-the-wire
format.

In order to leverage existing XML tools for validating NETCONF data in
various contexts and also facilitate exchange of data models and schemas
with other IETF working groups, the WG will define standard mapping
rules from YANG to the DSDL data modeling framework (ISO/IEC 19757) with
additional annotations to preserve semantics.

The initial YANG mapping rules specifications are expressly defined for
NETCONF modeling.  However, there may be future areas of applicability
beyond NETCONF, and the WG must provide suitable language extensibility
mechanisms to allow for such future work.
The NETMOD WG will only address modeling NETCONF devices and the
language extensibility mechanisms.  Any application of YANG to other
protocols is future work.

The WG will consult with the NETCONF WG to ensure that NETMOD's decision
do not conflict with planned work in NETCONF (e.g., locking,
notifications).

While it is desirable to provide a migration path from existing MIB
modules to YANG data models (modules), it is not a requirement to
provide full compatibility between SMIv2 and YANG.
The Working Group will determine which constructs (e.g., conformance
statements) are not relevant for translation from SMIv2 to YANG. YANG is
also permitted to introduce constructs that cannot be expressed in
SMIv2.
However, all basic types that can be represented in SMIv2 must be
expressible in YANG.

Initial deliverables are below.  The working group may choose to combine
multiple deliverables into a single document where deemed appropriate.

1. An architecture document explaining the relationship between YANG and
its inputs and outputs. (informational)

2. The YANG data modeling language and semantics (proposed
standard)

3. Mapping rules of YANG to XML instance data in NETCONF (proposed
standard)

4. YIN, a semantically equivalent fully reversible mapping to an
XML-based syntax for YANG.  YIN is simply the data model in an XML
syntax that can be manipulated using existing XML tools (e.g., XSLT)
(proposed
standard)

5. Mapping rules of YANG to DSDL data modeling framework (ISO/IEC
19757), including annotations for DSDL to preserve top-level semantics
during translation (proposed standard).

6. A standard type library for use by YANG (proposed standard)

Goals and Milestones:

Jun 2008 - All _individual_ drafts available that will be used as input
into the WG documents (draft-bjorklund-yang, architecture draft, YIN
draft, YANG standard library draft, DSDL mapping rules
draft)

Aug 2008 - Initial set of WG drafts: architecture, YANG, YIN, YANG
standard library, DSDL mapping rules (if there is one/more individual
draft), based on WG decisions in Dublin

Sep 2008 - Initial DSDL mapping rules document

Oct 2008 - 01 of YANG, DSDL, architecture, YIN, and standard library
draft.  If split out, -00 of on-the-wire XML draft.

Feb 2009 - WGLC for architecture doc

Mar 2009 - Submit the architecture doc to the IESG for publication as an
Informational RFC

Aug 2009 - WGLC for YANG, YIN, XML on-the-wire (if split out), YANG
standard library, DSDL mapping rules

Sep 2009 - Submit YANG, YIN, XML on-the-wire (if split out), YANG
standard library, DSDL mapping rules to the IESG for publication as a
Proposed Standard

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:35:34 -0700

> list in the next few weeks. 

Would it be possible to auto-subscribe the members of the NGO list
to the NETMOD list?

I prefer to have both the YANG and NGO lists go away.
Discussions on unchartered work have mostly been about NETMOD.
Now that the NETMOD WG exists, there will not be enough email on NGO
to warrant a separate list.

> Dan

Andy

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:47:01 +0200

> From: Andy Bierman [mailto:[email-masked]] 

> > 
> 
> Would it be possible to auto-subscribe the members of the NGO 
> list to the NETMOD list?

Well, people started to subscribe five minutes after the announcement
was out. I guess that by this time one third of the ngo subscribers may
already be on netmod. I prefer people subscribing individually, it's the
IETF way if you want especially taking into account that ngo was not
only about netmod. 

> Now that the NETMOD WG exists, there will not be enough email 
> on NGO to warrant a separate list.

I agree about YANG as YANG is now a netmod component. I am somehow
hesitating about ngo, as this was historically used for non chartered
NETCONF issues, and now it can be used also for not chartered NETMOD
issues. This was kind of successful in letting people to focus on
chartered items if they want to. 

However, if more people insist on shutting down ngo as well I will not
fight this fiercely. 

Dan

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:52:04 -0400

Hi,

There are still unchertered items to discuss, so I would prefer to
keep NGO active.

dbh 

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On 
> Behalf Of Romascanu, Dan (Dan)
> Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 11:47 AM
> To: Andy Bierman
> Cc: NETCONF Goes On; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [NGO] [Netconf] FW: WG Action: NETCONF Data 
> Modeling Language(netmod)
> 
>  
> 
> NGO mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ngo
>