Subject: [netmod] yang-types comments

From: Balazs Lengyel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:00:40 +0200

Hello,
I think part of the IANA considerations should go into the main YANG draft.

"A registry for standard YANG modules shall be set up.  Each entry
shall contain the unique module name, the unique XML namespace from
the YANG URI Scheme and some reference to the module's documentation."

Other thoughts:

You used the prefix yang. Is that not needed for anything else?

I would consider adding examples for some of the more complicated patterns, or is this stuff 
too obvious?

Balazs
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:16:32 +0200

> the YANG URI Scheme and some reference to the module's documentation."

He? This sounds like a directory which is nice to have (and easy to
produce with tools) but not a needed registry since unique names are
established with the existing procedures.

> You used the prefix yang. Is that not needed for anything else?

Until someone tells me for what it is used/reserved, I plan to
continue to use it.

> I would consider adding examples for some of the more complicated 
> patterns, or is this stuff too obvious?

This is not an examples document. Perhaps your question is whether we
should add reusable groupings. I am open to that - the problem is that
we have much less experience with that and hence I have not added any
groupings so far. If you have concrete suggestions, please post them
to the mailing list.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Balazs Lengyel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:26:12 +0200

> established with the existing procedures.

So you will remove it? It is included today in the draft today.
What existing procedures do you refer to?
Balazs
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 16:50:40 +0200

> What existing procedures do you refer to?

There is a mechanism to obtain a namespace so we should be fine with
that. If we want to have a central registry of module names, then we
have to create one. And yes, I believe such a registry should be
established by the YANG specification and not in the -types document.

/js