Subject: [netmod] DSDL work

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:09:07 +0200

Hi,

my slides for the Friday in-depth session are here:
http://staff.cesnet.cz/~lhotka/NETMOD/yang2dsdl.pdf

For the public session on Thursday, it would be great to be able to
propose how the two existing DSDL drafts will be integrated. In my
opinion, the main difference between the two is that
draft-mahy-canmod-dsdl assumes DSDL to be the primary DML that sets the
stage whereas draft-lhotka-yang-dsdl-map takes YANG as primary and just
translates its semantics, extension model etc.

However, the NETMOD charter is quite clear in saying that YANG is
primary. Therefore, I suggest the following:

1. Take the useful things from draft-mahy-... (validation phases, deep
keys etc.) and implement them appropriately in YANG.

2. Reconsider the YANG idiosyncrasies that make translation to DSDL hard
and adjust them where possible.

3. Concentrate on YANG->DSDL _mapping_ rather than on DSDL as a DML par
excellence.

I think most of the information for doing this is already available. I
also have to stress that this does not preclude other improvements to
YANG, this is only about YANG-DSDL relationship.

Is it an acceptable scenario?

Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:58:24 -0400

Hi

You need to fully understand the DSDL for NETCONF definition in order to
map to it. I don't think the requirement on the quality of the
definition is reduced because we are introducing yang. Part of me thinks
it might mean we need to be even more rigorous in definition.

But we do absolutely want to merge together the two drafts. There isn't
much overlap, so that should make it fairly easy to do. Then we can
prune and modify as the workgroup works through the various open issues.

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Ladislav Lhotka
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:09 AM
To: NETMOD Working Group
Subject: [netmod] DSDL work

Hi,

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CESNET
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 19:46:59 +0200

Greetings,

> Is it an acceptable scenario?

Thanks very much to all the DSDL authors for this work.

The charter says the following about this deliverable:

  In order to leverage existing XML tools for validating NETCONF
  data in various contexts and also facilitate exchange of data
  models and schemas with other IETF working groups, the WG will
  define standard mapping rules from YANG to the DSDL data modeling
  framework (ISO/IEC 19757) with additional annotations to preserve
  semantics.

That means that YANG is the canonical representation of the model.  That 
canonical representation then gets mapped into DSDL using the rules specified 
in this deliverable.

If there are things needed in DSDL that do not exist in YANG today, if there 
is WG consensus, those need to be pushed upstream into YANG.  They must not 
only exist in the DSDL representation of the model.  That is, if it's not in 
YANG, it's not going to be in the DSDL representation, either.

Cheers,

David^2