Subject: Re: [netmod] Virtual meetings

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Muenich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:18:47 +0200

Hi,

I think virtual meetings make great sense, but we should find a way to ...

- keep the meeting foused on solving specific issues
- find the right time-zone for the registered participants
- handle the virtual meetings like an IETF meeting, i.e. provide minutes after and slides before the meeting. Even if it is possible to provide an audio streaming or an mp3 file after the meeting.

Mehmet 

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: ext David Partain
Gesendet: 31.07.2008 17:00:33
An: ext David Partain;[email-masked]
Betreff: [netmod] Virtual meetings

Greetings,

David Kessens and Sharon Chisholm (amongst others) brought up the use 
of "virtual meetings" as a complement to face-to-face meetings (like the 
interim).  I also think this is something we could do much better in the IETF 
_and_ it will help SINCE we are going to meet our aggressive deadlines.

Firstly, with respect to the interim, I think it might be difficult to 
participate remotely for _three_ days.  Once we find a host, we can see if it 
would make sense to provide a phone bridge, jabber, etc. for those who 
absolutely cannot be there.  However, face-to-face in combination with 
virtual is hard and may not be very productive.

However, I completely agree that we should find ways to complement our other 
work using virtual meetings.  Some ideas:

1. If there's a "hot topic" going round and round on the list (nah...), we set 
up a conference call where interested parties can discuss and reach agreement 
to be taken back to the WG mailing list.  Clearly, such meetings would have 
to be announced on the list, open to all, and documented.  I recognize the 
timezone issues, which might make it very difficult for everyone to join such 
calls.  This is mitigated by ensuring that the meeting is documented and 
issue resolution is then verified on the mailing list.

2. Perhaps we can come up with a set of tools (whiteboard app, etc) that could 
be used in such virtual meetings.

3. We have a jabber room available to us whenever we want to use it 
(xmpp:[email-masked]).   Perhaps we could have a well-known jabber 
session once per week or at some other interval?

Other ideas?

David
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Muenich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:48:12 +0200

Another point where I can help is to arrange a conference switch with local access numbers.

cheers,
Mehmet 

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: ext Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Muenich)
Gesendet: 31.07.2008 18:19:15
An: ext Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Muenich);ext David Partain;[email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [netmod] Virtual meetings

Hi,

Mehmet 

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: ext David Partain
Gesendet: 31.07.2008 17:00:33
An: ext David Partain;[email-masked]
Betreff: [netmod] Virtual meetings

Greetings,

Other ideas?

David