Subject: [netmod] Dublin Core for Contact Information

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 14:39:16 -0400

Hi

The DSDL definition for NETCONF makes use of Dublin Core for contact
information. I believe this should also be used in the yang language
specification.

http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/

Sharon Chisholm
Nortel 
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:13:06 -0700

> http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/

IMO, this is overkill.  There are 15+ different fields.
The YANG description, reference, organization, and contact fields
borrowed from SMIv2 are sufficient.  15 flavors will lead
to complex CLRs for each one. E.g.: Who is the creator
of the module vs. just a contributor?

YANG already supports extensions.
A YANG module full of dublin-core extensions
could be used in any module which wants to add
this meta-data.

> Sharon Chisholm

Andy

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 21:49:05 +0200

> http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/

Is that any different from RFC 5013? Anyway, reading RFC 5013 tells me
that quite a number of additional clarifications are needed to adopt
RFC 5013. Who defines the vocabulary used for "subject" or "type"? Who
defines the "formal identification system" used by the "relation"
element? What is the usage / purpose of the "coverage" element?

Perhaps someone interested in using Dublin Core can work out these
details or identify the subset of RFC 5013 that makes sense in the
YANG context and explain to us how that subset differs from what we
have in place.

I am open for alignment but I think someone has to come up with a more
detailed proposal than "use Dublin Core" (and RFC 5013 is rather fuzzy
as it only talks about vocabularies etc. that someone needs to
establish for a given purpose).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:21:52 -0400

Hi

Note that there is already an XML mapping for Dublin Core
	http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-xml-guidelines/

I'll have a look through RFC 5013 because I'm having difficulty
imagining what the ambiguities might be.

Sharon 

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 3:49 PM
To: Chisholm, Sharon (CAR:ZZ00)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [netmod] Dublin Core for Contact Information

Is that any different from RFC 5013? Anyway, reading RFC 5013 tells me
that quite a number of additional clarifications are needed to adopt RFC
5013. Who defines the vocabulary used for "subject" or "type"? Who
defines the "formal identification system" used by the "relation"
element? What is the usage / purpose of the "coverage" element?

Perhaps someone interested in using Dublin Core can work out these
details or identify the subset of RFC 5013 that makes sense in the YANG
context and explain to us how that subset differs from what we have in
place.

I am open for alignment but I think someone has to come up with a more
detailed proposal than "use Dublin Core" (and RFC 5013 is rather fuzzy
as it only talks about vocabularies etc. that someone needs to establish
for a given purpose).

/js

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 15:17:58 +0200

> imagining what the ambiguities might be.

It always helps to read the specifications. ;-)

/js