Subject: [netmod] import by revision

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:33:53 -0700

Hi,

After some implementation experience, I think Phil might
be right -- import w/ optional revision date may be the
easiest way to deal with an ever-changing set of modules.

We need to maintain 'change freedom' within Internet drafts.
It must be OK to change 'asn' to 'as-number' in an I-D module.
But tools should work no matter where the module is documented.

I think the rules for import-by-revision were already posted
by Phil, but I will try to remember them here:

   - if the 'revision <date>' sub-statement is present in
     the import clause (along with the prefix), then that version
     must be found or none will be used

   - if not present, then the import is for the latest version
     the 'tool' knows about.  If things break, too bad.

   - every imported symbol used from module 'foo' must
     be updated in module 'bar', in order to use a newer
     version of module 'foo'. (The import 'foo' in module
     bar does not have to change just because module 'bar'
     is updated.)

Conformance is simple: everything is the revision or nothing :-)
Actually, conformance for module dependencies falls out for free.

I still have concerns about uses expansion (3-diff module
interactions can produce the same node/type names with totally
different content in the same sibling set).

[It's OK if we use the mailing list right?
Will every issue get covered in a 2.5 WG meeting?]

Andy

_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod