Subject: [netmod] Virtual meetings

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:00:08 +0200

Greetings,

David Kessens and Sharon Chisholm (amongst others) brought up the use 
of "virtual meetings" as a complement to face-to-face meetings (like the 
interim).  I also think this is something we could do much better in the IETF 
_and_ it will help SINCE we are going to meet our aggressive deadlines.

Firstly, with respect to the interim, I think it might be difficult to 
participate remotely for _three_ days.  Once we find a host, we can see if it 
would make sense to provide a phone bridge, jabber, etc. for those who 
absolutely cannot be there.  However, face-to-face in combination with 
virtual is hard and may not be very productive.

However, I completely agree that we should find ways to complement our other 
work using virtual meetings.  Some ideas:

1. If there's a "hot topic" going round and round on the list (nah...), we set 
up a conference call where interested parties can discuss and reach agreement 
to be taken back to the WG mailing list.  Clearly, such meetings would have 
to be announced on the list, open to all, and documented.  I recognize the 
timezone issues, which might make it very difficult for everyone to join such 
calls.  This is mitigated by ensuring that the meeting is documented and 
issue resolution is then verified on the mailing list.

2. Perhaps we can come up with a set of tools (whiteboard app, etc) that could 
be used in such virtual meetings.

3. We have a jabber room available to us whenever we want to use it 
(xmpp:[email-masked]).   Perhaps we could have a well-known jabber 
session once per week or at some other interval?

Other ideas?

David
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:17:29 +0200

> session once per week or at some other interval?

I would be fine trying to make more use of jabber. Something like
jabber allows us to cut'n'paste little YANG snippets, the stuff we
used to write a lot on the whiteboard during in the past. The other
benefit of jabber is that it slows down native speakers and creates
automatically a record of the exchange.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod