Subject: [netmod] DSDL: Validating both configuration store and PDUs

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 02:07:13 -0400

Hi

In the last issues I promised to create a separate thread on validating
the content in an RPC operation compared to validating the configuration
store. From my perspective we need to be able to do both.

Some options for this:

1) Make a clear distinction between client and server side conformance.
Use the <optional> tags to indicate server side conformance, which
becomes the configuration store requirements. Then introduce another
mechanism to define client side configuration. This indicates what must
be present in an individual PDU - i.e., you can't create one of these
unless you include the following fields.

2) Generate different flavours of the schema with modified <optional>
tags to indicate conformance. Pretty much everything would be optional
with a <get> operation while for <edit-config> all keys would be
mandatory. I suspect you need different schema for creation versus
modification, which is where this might get a bit complicated.

3) Someone recently suggested that we define a <config> wrapper PDU to
represent the configuration store. I'm not exactly sure the details of
this proposal.
 
I think 1) is the simplest, but that option 2) probably best serves
off-the-shelf tools and libraries.

Sharon Chisholm
Nortel 
Ottawa, Ontario
Canada
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod