Subject: [netmod] leaf-list and Xpath

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 10:39:34 -0700

Hi,

IMO the leaf-list is an odd data structure, and it does
not really fit in with all the others.  This is especially
noticeable when considering Xpath filtering and validation.

All the other data types can be associated with a single
XML sub-tree.  The 'list' data type is actually a 'row' data type.
There is no real 'list' data type in YANG.

The leaf-list is a conceptual data type representing N
sequential sibling elements.  You may declare a leaf-list
and give it a name (/acme:foo),  but in Xpath this conceptual
object does not exist -- just /acme:foo[1], acme:/foo[2], etc.

Good luck implementing leaf-list with off-the-shelf tools.

Andy

_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod