Subject: [netmod] Proposed consensus mail on yang-00413: import by revision

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:12:37 +0100

Greetings,

This is a call for consensus about issue
'yang-00413: import by revision'.  See the wiki at
http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/netmod/trac/wiki/Issues_yang#issue-00413
for an introduction.

This mail documents the conversations at the interim for proposed
changes / clarifications in text in the YANG document.  As such,
the question is whether you agree with the interpretation that
this text intends to document.  There are no new features being
proposed.

PLEASE speak up if you favor this consensus (including people who
attended the interim).

Issue: Should YANG modules import specific revisions of other
modules?

See also the discussion about update rules, which is relevant for
this issue as well.

The interim meeting discussed whether to use import-by-revision
or whether to require changing names when changing the
groupings/typedefs in a module.

After much discussion, we reached rough consensus to proceed with
import by revision.  However, it was quite clear that further
clarification was necessary (everyone thought so).

There was also consensus that import by revision will be
mandatory, but with exceptions.  The exceptions would be for
modules that "guarantee" that they follow the rules (e.g., IANA
modules) and will not change things in non-backwardly-compatible
ways.

David(s)
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Balazs Lengyel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:22:11 +0100

I support this.
Balazs

-- 
Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
TSP System Manager
ECN: 831 7320                        Fax: +36 1 4377792
Tel: +36-1-437-7320     email: [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: David Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:19:04 -0400

> http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/netmod/trac/wiki/Issues_yang#issue-00413

As long as we come up with a good solution for the cases like IANA ifType, 
I am not opposed to import by revision.

I would prefer import by revision to be optional, with no revision meaning
that I want the most current revision. But I know that was not the prevailing
opinion at the interim.

I would also be happy if we did not do import by revision at all.

-David Reid