Subject: [netmod] ordered-by statement Qs

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:41:32 -0700

Hi,

yang-01, sec. 7.7.6:

What error should be generated if an 'insert' or 'key'/'value'
attributes are present in an element other than a list
or leaf-list?  Or an ordered-by system list or leaf-list?

What error should be generated if an 'insert' or 'key'/'value'
attributes are present in a 'delete' operation?

What error should be generated if 'insert' equals 'first'
or 'last', and the 'value' attribute is present?

sec. 7.8.7:

In the "move barney before fred" example on p65,
the operation attribute is 'merge'.  Shouldn't
it be 'replace'?  The example looks like it
would result in a duplicate 'barney' entry
which would cause an error.  If merge and replace
are supposed to do the same thing here (move),
then make that clear in the draft.

Andy

_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:55:36 +0100 (CET)

> or leaf-list?  Or an ordered-by system list or leaf-list?

I'm doing std 'unknown-attribute'.

> attributes are present in a 'delete' operation?

[checking the code...] I don't catch this error today, but I believe
it should also be 'unknown-attribute'.

> or 'last', and the 'value' attribute is present?

Also 'unknown-attribute'.

Do you agree, and do you think it should be explicitly stated in the
text?

> then make that clear in the draft.

'replace' in this example would move the user barney, but the barney
user would be empty; no <type> and no <full-name>.  You would ask the
server to replace the existing user barney with the new one you
provide, at the new location.

The current text says:

   the attributes "insert" and "key" [...]  can be used during
   "create" operations to insert a new list entry, or during "merge"
   or "replace" operations to insert a new list entry or move an
   existing one.

Would this be better:

   the attributes "insert" and "key" [...]  can be used during
   "create" operations to insert a new list entry, or during "replace"
   operations to insert a new list entry or move and replace an
   existing one, or during "merge" operations to insert a new list
   entry or move an existing one.

/martin

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:28:03 -0700

> Do you agree, and do you think it should be explicitly stated in the

OK, same here; We don't want to give the impression of listing
every error in the text, so it is probably not worth mentioning

>    entry or move an existing one.

OK -- merge and replace are not the same -- they work just
as specified in 4741:

   1) find the matching entry; if it exists then
      merge or replace the PDU version into this entry

   2) move the resulting entry, as requested with the insert
      attribute

Andy