Subject: [netmod] Proposed scope of the DSDL mapping work

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:44:49 +0100

Hi,

(Again, fixed-width fonts might be needed to make sense of what's
below.)

At the interim meeting, we discussed the scope of the DSDL
mapping work at some length.

Ladislav Lhotka wondered about the language and positioning of
DSDL mapping in the architecture document.  The DSDL mapping
should express in a formal way what the YANG draft says.

The question was primarily about whether the purpose of the DSDL
mapping is for validation of the configuration datastore _and_
the validation of PDUs or if it's limited to only the former.
Ladislav has been initially targeting the former in the DSDL
mapping work he has been doing.

So, something like this....

        Full DB          PDUs

.yang -> .dsdl    -> xslt ->  get-config.dsdl
                  -> xslt ->  edit-config.dsdl
                  -> xslt ->  copy-config.dsdl
                  -> xslt ->  rpc1.dsdl
                  -> xslt ->  rpcN.dsdl

The .dsdl document created from the YANG module(s) will be
useful for the entire configuration datastore.  Thereafter, XSLT
scripts can be used to do appropriate work to validate PDUs.

The consensus of the room at the interim was that the initial
focus for the mapping document will be the full datastore
(generating the .dsdl above).

In order to be able to do this, you have to have access to
all of the YANG modules used by the system.

Ladislav explained that since the inclusion mechanism is
different, the modularity won't be maintained. Rather than
individual .dsdl files for each of the input YANG modules,
it's a "cooked module" containing the combination of all of
the YANG modules.

Thereafter, the WG will be consider whether to work farther
on the PDU part, but still in the mapping document.  This is
a recognition of the concern voiced by David Harrington that
we can't focus on everything that might be useful, so let's
focus on something concrete that can be useful.

Cheers,

David(s)
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod