Subject: [netmod] Description of the discussion about issue 'yang-00221: rpc statement in list'.

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:51:32 +0100

Greetings,

This is a description of the discussion about issue
'yang-00221: rpc statement in list'.  See the wiki at
http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/netmod/trac/wiki/Issues_yang#issue-00221

Description: - Allow operations to be specified in lists. It
should be possible to define custom RPCs inside list. The XML
encoding should carry a reference to the list where the RPC was
defined. RPCs on the top-level would still be allowed. 

The interim meeting did NOT reach a rough consensus on this
issue.  Please correct the discussion below if you think things
are missing.

The discussion:

Andy Bierman: why can't you just add a parameter that points
into the tree where it's relevant and keep the RPC definition
at the top level?

Martin Björklund: it's an encapsulation issue

Balazs Lengyel:  it can also be a way of providing access
control.

Mehmet Ersue: the most important issue is the access control
issue.

Jürgen Schönwälder: if we allow RPCs at the top-level,
we have to solve the access control issue anyway.

Martin Björklund: our access control model follows the
UNIX-like way of doing things, setting the x bit on a particular
leaf in a tree.  That matches this proposal well.

Phil Shafer:  If you define restart all over the place,
you have no guarantee that it'll be the same everywhere.
This only works for trivial cases and thinks there are better
ways do accomplish what this is trying to do.

Martin: it all depends on the arguments.  Sometimes you can
have more than one argument.

Andy Bierman: Want to see the configuration database as purely
configuration, which this violates.

David Harrington: how much of this is driven by the user
community that is doing things in an object-oriented way?

Martin: to some degree.  This is already done today in
proprietary solutions that are not "object-oriented" per se.

Balazs and Mehmet: it certainly affects the desire to have this.

David Harrington: we're asking for the camel's nose; will we
soon have the whole camel?

Andy Bierman: What would the ABNF look like?

David Partain: Suggests that Martin / Balazs send a delta
proposal to the mailing list and that we can talk about it
in Minneapolis.
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod