Subject: [netmod] Proposed consensus mail on yang-01253

From: David Partain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:32:09 +0100

Greetings,

This is a call for consensus about issue 'yang-01253: adding
"leafref" type'.  See the wiki at
http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/netmod/trac/wiki/Issues_yang#issue-01253

This mail and other consensus calls after the interim will follow
a similar pattern.  First, we have the question and the proposed
consensus, then details.  The details include examples, followed
by a summary of the interim discussion on the issues.  Please
read the whole message.

PLEASE speak up if you favor or object to the proposed change,
including people who attended the interim.  Silence is impossible
to interpret.

The proposal is to add a new type 'leafref', which works like a
'keyref', but points to any leaf. 

Questions:

1. Should we add 'leafref'?

   Interim consensus: yes

2. Should 'leafref' be 'config false'?

   Interim consensus: yes

3. Should 'leafref' be fully instantiated or are wildcards
   allowed?

   Interim consensus: fully instantiated

A bit more detail...

The following questions were discussed:

'leafref' is a way to "borrow" a column from elsewhere, to be
able to point at things that aren't keys.  Applicability is more
for monitoring than configuration.

At the interim, everyone in the room was in favor of adding leafref.

Should 'leafref' be 'config false'?  The consensus of the room
was that it must be.

Should we allow wildcards or should it be fully instantiated?
The rough consensus was that it should be fully instantiated, but
J. Schönwälder remains unconvinced.  He worried about not
allowing things because we can't come up with an example.

Andy Bierman will provide text for 'leafref' and send it to the
mailing list.
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

---

From: Balazs Lengyel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:02:38 +0100

I support this. Balazs

-- 
Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
TSP System Manager
ECN: 831 7320                        Fax: +36 1 4377792
Tel: +36-1-437-7320     email: [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod