Subject: [netmod] FW: Secdir review of draft-ietf-netmod-yang-12

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:59:27 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Alan DeKok
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:37 PM
To: [email-masked]; IESG IESG; [email-masked]
Subject: Secdir review of draft-ietf-netmod-yang-12

  I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the IESG.
 These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the security
area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat these
comments just like any other last call comments.

  The document defines a language used to read and write descriptions of
management information.  It is not intended to be used within an "on the
wire" internet protocol.  As such, the usual "on the wire" security
issues do not apply.

  The "Security Considerations" looks OK.  I would suggest adding a
caution about reading data from untrusted sources.  Document readers
have a long history of being attacked by malformed documents.

  e.g.:

YANG parsers need to be robust with respect to malformed documents.
Reading malformed documents from unknown or untrusted sources could
result in an attacker gaining privileges of the user running the YANG
parser.  In an extreme situation, the entire machine could be
compromised.

  Alan DeKok.