Subject: [netmod] Agenda for netmod session IETF 78 in Maastricht

From: David Kessens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:24:32 -0700

Please see below for our first version of an agenda.

First of all, we want to apologize that we are a bit late with a published
agenda. One of our cochairs was on vacation while our other cochair, David
Partain, unfortunately had to, and is still dealing with an emergency which
will most likely mean that he cannot make it to Maastricht.

As you all know, we are pretty much at the end of our list of work items as
defined in our charter. We are very pleased that we reached this point and
would like to take the opportunity to thank everybody again who contributed
their time and efforts to get us to this point.

This also means that we could have theoretically gone without a physical
working group session as we won't have to spend a lot of time on our actual
work items. However, the fact that we have this much time available means we
have the chance to take a look at the future: as discussed at our previous
working group session, it becomes now important that we find ways to get the
basic yang modules defined in order to make yang useful in the real world.
Therefore, we intend to spend most of the time on trying to define a
framework for a possible new charter that focusses on defining such a basic
set of yang modules. We very much encourage you to start thinking about this
topic and perhaps start some discussion on the mailing list on what the
goals should be for yang related work in IETF for the short/intermediate
term. After this session, we would like to come away with clear directions
for (a) volunteer(s) to craft a draft charter. While this is not a formal
Birds-of-a-Feather session, people might want to read rfc5434 as this can be
a very helpful document to assist in having a focussed discussion.

Please let us know whether you have any additional items that you would like
to have added to the agenda or if you would like to have a slot for our
'future work' agenda item.

David & David
---

Agenda (v1): NETMOD WG
Meeting:   IETF 78
Location:  MECC, Maastricht, Netherlands
WG Chairs: David Kessens (david.kessens at nsn.com)
	   David Partain (david.partain at ericsson.com)
Jabber:    xmpp:netmod at jabber.ietf.org
WG URL:    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netmod/

TUESDAY, July 27, 2010, 09.00-11.30, Meeting Room: 0.9 Athens

1) Administrivia
   [chairs][ 5 min ]

   - minutes scribe     {volunteers welcome in advance!}
   - jabber scribe      {volunteers welcome in advance!}
   - blue sheets
   - agenda bashing

2) Status Update
   [chairs][ 5 min ]

   - How we're doing against the charter

3) Active Drafts

   For each draft: current status, delta from previous draft,
   open issues, and discussion.

   3.1 Common YANG Data Types
       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-yang-types-09
       Status: RFC Ed Queue
       (Juergen Schoenwaelder)
       
   3.2 YANG - A data modeling language for NETCONF
       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-yang-13
       Status: RFC Ed Queue
       (Martin Bjorklund)
 
   3.3 YANG Usage Guidelines
       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-yang-usage-09
       Status: Waiting for AD Go-Ahead
       (Andy Bierman)
       
   3.4 NETMOD Architecture
       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-arch-07
       Status: IETF Last Call Requested
       (Phil Shafer)
   
   3.5 Mapping of YANG to DSDL
       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-dsdl-map-06
       Status: AD Evaluation
       (Ladislav Lhotka)

4) Other (non WG) Internet-Drafts, for feedback and discussion
   [chairs, we will only spend time on these items if we have time]

   - draft-bierman-netconf-system-monitoring-00.txt
     Status: new submission
     (Andy Bierman)

   - draft-schoenw-netmod-smi-yang-00.txt
     Status: expired, but possible work item for new charter
     Earlier presented slides: 
     http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/75/slides/netmod-0.pdf
     (Juergen Schoenwaelder)
     
   - draft-linowski-netmod-yang-abstract-03.txt
     Status: possibly headed for AD sponsored experimental
     (Bernd Linowski)  

5) I/O with other WGs (NETCONF/IPFIX/others ?), activities this week
   [chairs]

6) Plans post IETF78 and after completion of charter

   Questions to answer are:
   
   Where do we go from here with yang ?

   What is still missing that needs to be defined to get yang deployment to
   happen ?

   What should not be done ?

   Volunteers for writing a draft charter ?
   
   Volunteers for working on proposed work items ?

7) A.O.B. and open mike
   [N.N.]
   {please identify issues in advance}

---