Subject: [netmod] Fwd: Re: Openconfig protocol(s)

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 22:08:08 +0200

Forwarded Anees Shaikh's email, with permission.
Thanks Anees. I believe it's useful info for NETMOD.

Regards, Benoit
-------- Forwarded Message --------

    hi Benoit, we will be publishing the primitives after we complete
    our internal review -- it's in progress.  There's nothing secret
    about it, or any intention on our part to not 'put our cards on the
    table.'

    As we've said publicly, at Google we are planning to use gRPC for
    example, while others in OpenConfig have expressed their intention
    to use protocols such as Thrift, and still others will use NETCONF,
    or their own REST-based protocol.  OpenConfig is not prescribing or
    endorsing any specific protocol -- we only insist that the data
    models be common.

...

    On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Benoit Claise <[email-masked]
    <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

         From the preliminary meeting minutes

            Benoit: The two suggested solutions. They are based on
            NETCONF/RESTCONF. Are they using it for other protocols?
            Aneesh: We are using other protocols. Will share primitives.
            Benoit: If the solution is for NETCONF/RESTCONF, will it
            work for other protocols.
            Rob: If the solution is mappable for NETCONF/RESTCONF, would
            it be mappable for another protocol.
            Benoit: YANG is currently not protocol agnostic. Currently,
            it is tied to NETCONF/RESTCONF.
            Benoit: If the solution is for NETCONF/RESTCONF, is that
            acceptable?
            Rob: No. The solution has to be more general.
            Christian: Is the intersection of NETCONF/RESTCONF good
            enough for the other protocols.

        Rob mentioned during the call something such as: "we would share
        the expectations of the protocol".
        Please follow up and share the primitives or those expectations.
        However, in the end, I believe it would be favorable to
        everybody if you would play all your cards on the table, and
        directly share the protocols you plan on using.

        Regards, Benoit (OPS AD)