Subject: [netmod] data tree

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 16:31:05 +0200

Hi,

one of the topics from the last virtual interim that needs further
discussion is the ambiguity of the term "data tree". In 6020bis, it is
used with three different meanings:

1. Explicit definition in Sec. 3: "The instantiated tree of
   configuration and state data on a device."

2. In many cases, it is used to denote *any* YANG-modelled tree,
   i.e. including RPC input/output data and notification. An example is
   the definition of container, also in Sec. 3: "An interior data node
   that exists in at most one instance in the data tree."

3. In a few other cases, it is used in a more restricted sense of a
   *configuration* data tree, for example in sec. 4.2.7: "When a node
   from one case is created in the data tree, all nodes from all other
   cases are implicitly deleted."

In my review of 6020bis-06 I proposed to use "data tree" only in the
meaning #2, that is:

  OLD

     o  data tree: The instantiated tree of configuration and state data
	on a device.

  NEW

     o data tree: The instantiated tree of configuration, state data,
       combined configuration and state data, RPC input or output, or
       notification.

We could use "configuration data tree" for #3, but a special term would
probably also be needed for #1.

Comments, suggestions?

Lada

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 09:31:27 -0700

> On Sep 2, 2015, at 7:31 AM, Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 

+1

> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

Mahesh Jethanandani
[email-masked]

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 08:16:26 +0200

Hi,

Andy argued that the proposed new definition of data tree looks like it
is a big tree containing everything, so here is another try,
improvements are welcome:

o data tree: An instantiated tree of any data modeled with YANG, i.e.,
  one of: configuration, state data, combined configuration and state
  data, RPC input, RPC output, notification.

Lada

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 08:28:10 +0200 (CEST)

>   data, RPC input, RPC output, notification.

Looks good to me, with s/RPC/RPC or action/g

/martin

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 08:35:18 +0200

> On 09 Sep 2015, at 08:28, Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Sure, I forgot about actions. Also, do we want to make provisions for using YANG outside this narrow scope, as it has been already done a few times? If so, we could change

s/i.e., one of:/for example/

Lada

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 11:18:57 +0200

> Looks good to me, with s/RPC/RPC or action/g

Yes, an for consistency s/configuration,/configuration data,/

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>