Subject: [netmod] leaf-list uniqueness requirement for non-config nodes

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 10:06:15 +0100

Hi,

RFC 6020 say:

   The values in a leaf-list MUST be unique.

While this may have a justification for config true nodes (to allow
modifications of individual elements using edit-config), this
constraint does not seem to make much sense for non-config nodes.

Note that YANG requires keys for lists for config nodes (to allow
modifications of individual elements using edit-config) but it does
not requires keys or uniqueness for for lists for non-config nodes.

In order to be consistent, I think the above requirement should be
changed to this:

   The values in a leaf-list MUST be unique if the nodes represent
   configuration.

I actually think the requirement as stated in RFC 6020 is a bug and I
even considered writing an errata but I thought I get this on the
table here right away.

/js (as technical contributor)

PS: I have a need in LMAP to represent a simple vector of values in an
    RPC and YANG 1 makes this extremely expensive due to this constraint.

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 13:14:39 +0100 (CET)

>    The values in a leaf-list MUST be unique if the nodes represent

I think this is kind of ok.  I would prefer to add a new statement
that declares the leaf-list non-unique.   Such a list would be allowed
in non-config scenarios.  And depending on the outcome of the
discussion you just started on Y57, it might be ok also for config
data...

/martin

> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod
>