Subject: [netmod] config lists without keys (Y09) / non-unique leaf-lists (Y57)

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 10:17:58 +0100

Hi,

the issues Y09 and Y57 were declared dead after intense discussions of
various solution proposals. It later appeared to me that there is a
solution that we have not considered. The requirement to have a key
for every list and unique values in a leaf-list for config nodes is
essentially there to allow edits on individual elements using
edit-config. The solution not considered so far is simply to give up
the ability to edit invidual elements, that is, a config list without
a key can only be modified as whole and similarily a leaf-list that
allows non-unique values can only be modified as a whole (with
edit-config). Comments?

/js (as technical contributor)

PS: I have been struggling with sending this idea out for a while
    since I am in a conflict here as a technical contributor and user
    of YANG and a WG chair interested to deliver YANG 1.1.

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 10:53:49 +0100

> On 29 Oct 2015, at 10:17, Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 

The inability to edit individual list entries may actually apply only to NETCONF, because of the dubious design of <edit-config>.
Other protocols (even RESTCONF) might work just fine for keyless config lists.

If your proposal is to make the "key" statement optional in config=true lists, and allow for non-unique leaf lists, then I'd be in favour of it.

Lada

> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 13:17:56 +0100 (CET)

> allows non-unique values can only be modified as a whole (with

How would this look in edit-config?  There are quite a few details to
think through in order to support this.

/martin

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 08:02:34 -0700

Hi,

I prefer to leave this issue as DEAD.
IMO it is a good thing that all key leafs are mandatory.
Adding new protocol operations should be out of scope for YANG 1.1

Andy