Subject: [netmod] Missing references

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 12:58:03 -0000

I just came across (yet) another example of a reference to an RFC in a
description clause of a YANG module that appears nowhere else in the
I-D.

This seems to be a systematic error that some YANG module authors make;
can the tools be modified to pick it up?  The logic is simple enough.

The latest example is in draft-ietf-rtgwg-yang-rip-09 which fails to
reference RFC5952;  I think that the I-D is in the RFC Editor queue.

Tom Petch

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 12:56:08 +0100

Hi Henrik,

Could this check be added to idnits?

Regards, Benoit
> .

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 14:32:25 +0100

Hi Benoit,

> Could this check be added to idnits?

Yes.  I thought I had something like this already, but it was specifically
to look out for mentions of RFC2119.

As you may know, I'm due to begin a complete rewrite of idnits, from the
current implementation (idnits started as a 10-line AWK program to check
draft line lengths, in 2000 or 2001) to Python, this March.  I'd like to
defer this till then; adding code to the now close to 4000 lines of mixed
AWK and bash isn't always straightforward.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 14:40:54 +0100

Hi Henrik,

It makes sense. Thanks.

Regards, B.

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 11:33:12 -0000

Henrik, Benoit

My first e-mail was sloppily worded.  What I meant was RFCxxxx in the
Reference clause of a YANG module, since I think that those should be in
the Reference section as well.

I think that it should apply to the Description clause as well, but that
might be more debatable i.e. missing when it appears in Reference I
would see as an error, but missing when it appears in Description, um
perhaps a warning?

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
To: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>; "Henrik Levkowetz"
<[email-masked]>; "NETMOD Working Group" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2018 11:56 AM

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 11:33:12 -0000

Henrik, Benoit

Tom Petch