Subject: [netmod] Draft Normative references in a YANG module

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 17:28:30 -0000

Will the RFC Editor know that

       reference "draft-ietf-netmod-rfc7223bis: A YANG Data Model
                  for Interface Management";
in

draft-ietf-rtgwg-ni-model-09

needs replacing by RFCxxxx when that I-D becomes an RFC?

Normally, such a reference would be [draft-ietf-netmod-rfc7223bis] with
the underlying HTML/XML anchor and automated tools can pick this up (I
assume that the RFC Editor is well automated:-)

But when the Normative Reference is in the text of a YANG module and
there is no underlying anchor, will this get noticed and actioned?

Or should there be a

Note to RFC Editor

attached to such references?

Tom Petch

---

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 21:56:49 +0000

I think that there should be a note attached to such references 
occurring inside of a YANG module.   I think that all of my drafts
do this, though I tend to use a single large Note to Editor at the
beginning of the draft, rather than a number of smaller notes 
sprinkled throughout the document.

Separately, I support your idea of tooling to catch the case when
a reference occurring inside a module isn't also hyperlinked in 
the draft, just above where the module is located in the draft.

Kent // yang doctor

===== original message =====

Or should there be a

Note to RFC Editor

Tom Petch

_______________________________________________
netmod mailing list
[email-masked]
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ietf.org_mailman_listinfo_netmod&d=DwICAg&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=9zkP0xnJUvZGJ9EPoOH7Yhqn2gsBYaGTvjISlaJdcZo&m=QCThchs4JeGsrzrJeaUdQoPQi37pCz4FGgc_cilPLgg&s=EYIhtpotNaX09tQ5hR86BtUD04ov-Ynr9fwBCMa2Ue0&e=

---

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 06:11:13 -0800

Hi Tom,

> attached to such references?

We should notice this as we read through the document (including the
description and reference text in the YANG module).  However, placing
a note within the document somewhere that acts as a reminder to update
the I-D string with the appropriate RFC number is never a bad thing. 

Thanks,
RFC Editor/sg

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 12:48:11 -0000

If a YANG module has a Reference or Description clause specifying an
I-D, and the I-D is listed as an Informative Reference, as many are
outside the
NETCONF/Netmod WGs, then will the I-D be published with that reference
still as a draft e.g. with text such as

 reference "I-D.ietf-netconf-tls-client-server: TLS Client and Server
Models";

or

See section 4.2.1 of draft-ietf-ntp-packet-timestamps
?

The RFC Editor has a MISSREF status/procedure but that only applies to a
Normative Reference, not to an Informative one, so will the RFC appear
with the Reference or Description clause specifying the I-D?

Tom Petch