Subject: [netmod] unblocking semver

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:19:07 +0100

Hi,

after today's discussion about semver, I am even more convinced that the
following two steps could unblock the current situation:

1. Remove sec. 11 from 7950bis, and publish it as a separate RFC addressing only
to the IETF process. After that, nobody can a priori reject non-compatible
changes as illegal in YANG.

2. Introduce critical extensions (issue #49 in yang-next [*]) and develop semver
as a critical extension. Communities that need it can then use it (with special
tools), and those that don't can keep using the old revisions, or even develop
something else.

I am aware that this means some fragmentation of YANG but it may happen anyway
(see OpenConfig). The problem with uncoordinated forks is that they may
eventually deviate from standard YANG in other aspects where some agreement
could in fact be found.

Lada

[*] https://github.com/netmod-wg/yang-next/issues/49  
-- 
Ladislav Lhotka
Head, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: 0xB8F92B08A9F76C67