Subject: [netmod] RFC 8528 on YANG Schema Mount

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 19:59:09 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8528

        Title:      YANG Schema Mount 
        Author:     M. Bjorklund,
                    L. Lhotka
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 54347
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-netmod-schema-mount-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8528

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8528

This document defines a mechanism that adds the schema trees defined
by a set of YANG modules onto a mount point defined in the schema
tree in another YANG module.

This document is a product of the Network Modeling Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: Robert Varga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 21:11:03 +0100

> A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

Awesome, congrats :)

One quick question: what are the sub-statements allowed under a
'yangmnt:mount-point "foo"' ? I see RFC8529 is using 'description', but
could not find a definitive list.

Can I assume it's only config/description/reference/status, or is it a
larger set?

Thanks,
Robert

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 21:47:04 +0100 (CET)

> could not find a definitive list.

Wow, nobody catched this!  Maybe an argument for
https://github.com/netmod-wg/yang-next/issues/54?

> Can I assume it's only config/description/reference/status, or is it a

W/o additional text, I think description/reference/status.  But it is
not clear at all :(

/martin

---

From: Robert Varga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 21:51:41 +0100

> W/o additional text, I think description/reference/status.  But it is

Section 3.3 seems to imply "config" is allowed, but I do not have the
document sufficiently in-brain yet:

>    The "config" property of mounted schema nodes is overridden and all
>    nodes in the mounted schema are read-only ("config false") if at
>    least one of the following conditions is satisfied for a mount point:
> 
>    o  The mount point is itself defined as "config false".

Regards,
Robert

---

From: Robert Varga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 21:54:09 +0100

> https://github.com/netmod-wg/yang-next/issues/54?

Yes. Pretty please? :)

Bye,
Robert

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 13:23:56 +0100

Hi Robert,

>> A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

I have mixed feelings this time, really.

> Can I assume it's only config/description/reference/status, or is it a

The yangmnt:mount-point extension is intended just as a label, so there
is really no need for substatements, perhaps except description.

Other information regarding  the mount point should be in the state data
under "schema-mounts/mount-point". For one, "config" is there.

Lada

>
> Thanks,
> Robert
>
> _______________________________________________
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

-- 
Ladislav Lhotka
Head, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: 0xB8F92B08A9F76C67