Subject: [netmod] yang to mib

From: Alan Dawn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:50:27 -0400

Has there been any work done on defining a method of converting yang
modules to mib modules?

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:17:37 +0200

> Has there been any work done on defining a method of converting yang

Since YANG is way more flexible than SMIv2, this will only work if the
YANG language is heavily restricted to a subset that is mappable. My
recommendation is to not spent time on this.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: David Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 16:20:44 -0400

> recommendation is to not spent time on this.

Some of the yang constructs that can't easily be mapped could be mapped with some creativity. I think the subset that can't be mapped would be relatively small.

-David Reid

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 22:59:43 +0200

> Some of the yang constructs that can't easily be mapped could be mapped with some creativity. I think the subset that can't be mapped would be relatively small.

Yes, I stand corrected, you can probably even map everything somehow.
Whether such mappings result in _usable_ MIB module is going to be a
question for which answers will be subjective.

/js

---

From: Alan Dawn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 19:35:35 -0400

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 4:59 PM Juergen Schoenwaelder <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Some of the yang constructs that can't easily be mapped could be mapped
> with some creativity. I think the subset that can't be mapped would be
> relatively small.
> >
>

Perhaps there would be value in defining a subset that could be reasonably
mapped.

I found a project that has a pyang module for yang to mib conversion:
http://help.openclovis.com/index.php/Convert_YANG_to_MIB_model
I was not able to get it to work, so I don't know how complete it is.