Subject: [netmod] Effect of ordered by user on state(config false) list

From: Tarek Saad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 19:10:56 +0000

Hi,

We are wondering if “ordered by user” has any effect on a (config false)/state list?
Given RFC6020 specifies “ordered by system” as the default order, does this mean it is the order assumed for a state list with “ordered by user”?

Regards,
Tarek

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 08:42:57 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

Tarek Saad <tsaad=[email-masked]> wrote:
> Given RFC6020 specifies “ordered by system” as the default order, does
> this mean it is the order assumed for a state list with “ordered by
> user”?

There is no effect "on the wire"; the entries are sent in the order
determined by the server in both cases.  But it informs to the
consumer of the data model that the order of the list entries carries
some meaning.

/martin

---

From: Schönwälder, Jürgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 08:47:53 +0000

> consumer of the data model that the order of the list entries carries

For operational is always about what the system actually does.

For ordered by user entries configured by intended, the order of
entries used by the system should be the order defined by the users
but ultimately operational needs to report what is actually used. (If
a system fails to honor ordered by user, this should be visible from
comparing operational and intended. This is essential for debugging.)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <https://www.jacobs-university.de/>