Subject: Re: [netmod] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-13.txt

From: Qin Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 12:38:50 +0000

v-13 is posted, the diff is:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-13
Thanks Rob for valuable review.

-Qin
-----邮件原件-----
发件人: I-D-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表 [email-masked]
发送时间: 2020年2月25日 20:36
收件人: [email-masked]
抄送: [email-masked]
主题: I-D Action: draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-13.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Modeling WG of the IETF.

        Title           : A YANG Data Model for Factory Default Settings
        Authors         : Qin Wu
                          Balazs Lengyel
                          Ye Niu
	Filename        : draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-13.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2020-02-25

Abstract:
   This document defines a YANG data model to allow clients to reset a
   server back to its factory default condition.  It also defines a
   "factory-default" datastore to allow clients to read the factory
   default configuration for the device.

   The YANG data model in this document conforms to the Network
   Management Datastore Architecture (NMDA) defined in RFC 8342.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-13
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-13

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-13

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: "Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 18:01:33 +0000

Hi Qin,

I think that you may have accidentally removed the RFC editor instructions in the YANG module that presumably we want to still keep?

	 	// RFC Ed.: update the date below with the date of RFC publication	
 	      // and remove this note.	
 	      // RFC Ed.: replace XXXX with actual RFC number and remove this	
 	      // note.

For the update to the security section, my concern wasn't so much about no longer being able to access a private key, but more that a client cannot rely on any private data being unrecoverable after the factory-reset RPC.  I.e. they can't just use the factory-reset RPC and then sell the device on ebay, with the assumption that all private data has been properly cleansed.

OLD:

 	   The non-volatile storage is expected to be wiped clean and reset back	
 	   to the factory default state, but there is no guarantee that the data	
 	   is wiped according to any particular data cleansing standard, and the	
 	   owner of the device MUST NOT rely on any temporary data (e.g.,	
 	   including private keys) for recovery after the factory-reset RPC has	
 	   been invoked.

NEW:

 	   The non-volatile storage is expected to be wiped clean and reset back	
 	   to the factory default state, but there is no guarantee that the data	
 	   is wiped according to any particular data cleansing standard, and the	
 	   owner of the device MUST NOT rely on any sensitive data (e.g.,	
 	   private keys) being forensically unrecoverable from the device's
          non-volatile storage after a factory-reset RPC has been invoked.

Thanks,
Rob

> -----Original Message-----
> From: netmod <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Qin Wu
> Sent: 25 February 2020 12:39
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [netmod] I-D Action: draft-ietf-netmod-factory-default-13.txt
> 
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of
> submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at
> tools.ietf.org.
> 
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod