Subject: [nmrg] [Call for Papers] 3rd International Workshop on High-Precision, Predictable, and Low-Latency Networking (HiPNet 2021)

From: Guillaume Doyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 11:20:59 +0200

We  apologize for multiples  copies. Please  circulate this  CFP among
your colleagues and students.

**********************************************************************

   3rd International Workshop on High-Precision, Predictable,     
            and Low-Latency Networking (HiPNet 2021)

           at CNSM 2021, Izmir, Turkey, 25-29 October

       http://www.cnsm-conf.org/2021/workshop_HiPNet.html

**********************************************************************

Call for Papers

New waves  of networked  applications continue to  push the  limits of
what is possible with networks today. For example, Industrial Internet
applications,  Augmented Reality,  Tactile Internet  require ultra-low
latency measured in  single-digit milliseconds and do  not tolerate no
jitter at all. Economic  pressures mandate increasingly cloudification
of real-time applications with precision  service level needs. Many of
those applications are mission-critical and  cannot afford any loss in
connectivity or even single  packets. Collectively, these applications
require   networking   services   that  support   high-precision   and
predictable service  levels with associated guarantees  that border on
determinism.  This requires  a rethinking  of many  of the  principles
underlying existing "Best Effort" internetworking technology.

Various  approaches  are emerging  to  tackle  those challenges.  Data
centers with  fixed topologies and  a constant number of  hops rapidly
replace    conventional   routing    and    more   general    Internet
topologies.  Networks  are  becoming  more programmable  to  allow  to
custom-tailor  and optimize  treatment of  packets and  flows. Related
technologies range  from Service Function Chaining  to Network Slicing
to  SDN.  While  5G is  making URLLC  at the  network edge  a reality,
momentum for  Beyond 5G and 6G  is building to push  the boundaries of
precision  services  beyond  the  edge   and  across  the  core.   One
overarching question concerns how  these technologies can be harnessed
and what additional approaches are needed to deliver on high-precision
and predictable networking. This will involve advances over all planes
of  network  architectures,  such  as programming  and  processing  of
packets in  the data plane,  control interfaces and  ultra-low latency
control  loops  to  optimize  service  levels  in  the  control-plane,
high-precision measurements and telemetry  with nanosecond accuracy at
scale, and related platforms and algorithms in the management plane.

The workshop  aims to  provide a forum  for researchers,  students and
professionals  from  industry  and  academia  to  discuss  challenges,
solution  approaches, and  work-in-progress  to  deliver, manage,  and
control high-precision and  predictable networking services, including
(Ultra) Low-Latency  networks, deterministic networking, 6G,  etc. The
workshop welcomes  papers related  to disruptive  concepts, innovative
solutions, testbeds, experiments, etc.  Topics of Interest include but
are not limited to the following:

- Platforms  to   manage  and  operate  high-precision   networks  and
services,  e.g.  Industrial  Networks, Tactile  Networks,  Augmented
Reality (AR), cloud gaming
- Proof and validation of high-precision service level guarantees
- High-precision  measurement  techniques  for ultra-low  latency  and
jitter
- Service assurance for micro services, for service function chains
- Applications for Inband Network Telemetry and iOAM
- High-precision networking using service function chaining
- In-network service level tuning and optimization; predictable QoS
- Novel network programming models
- Applications   of   Artificial   Intelligence   for   high-precision
networking
- Time-Sensitive Networking  (TSN) interconnect and wide-area  TSN; IP
and TSN convergence
- SDN applications for high-precision, high-performance networking
- High-precision networking over 5G
- High-Precision networking services using Fog and Edge Computing
- Deployment & operational experiences w/ Industrial Internet, Tactile
Internet, networked AR, cloud gaming
- 5G optimization techniques for ensuring Low Latency
- Testbeds for High-Precision (OAI, MAGMA, etc.)
- Networking  optimization for  fast  processing  and delivery  (DPDK,
etc.)
- Microservices platform for ensuring High-Precision (OpenNetVM, etc.)

Submission of Papers

Authors are invited to submit original unpublished papers that are not
already under  review elsewhere.  Submissions  will be subjected  to a
peer-review  process.  Regular  papers  should be  submitted  in  IEEE
2-column format, with paper length up to 7 pages including references.

Papers have to  be submitted electronically in PDF  format through the
EDAS  conference  management  system available here:

https://www.edas.info/newPaper.php?c=28754&track=107911

Authors  of  selected  workshop  papers   will  be  fast  tracked  for
publication in a special issue of  the Springer Journal of Network and
System Management (JNSM) on High  Precision Networking guest edited by
the workshop organizers.

Important  Dates

Paper Submission: July 31, 2021
Notification: September 7, 2021
Camera Ready: September 21, 2021
Workshop: October 29, 2021

Proceedings

Papers accepted and presented at  HiPNet will be published open access
on the conference Web site with  IFIP copyright, and will be submitted
for  possible  inclusion   in  IEEE  Xplore,  ACM   and  IFIP  Digital
Libraries.  To be  published in  the  Workshop Proceedings  and to  be
eligible for publication, at least one  author of an accepted paper is
required  to register  and  present  the paper  at  the workshop.  The
organizer  reserves the  right to  exclude a  paper from  distribution
after the conference  (including its removal from IEEE  Xplore) if the
paper is not presented at the conference.

Workshop Organizers

Raouf Boutaba (University of Waterloo, Canada)
Alexander Clemm (Futurewei, US)
Guillaume Doyen (IMT-Atlantique, France)
Bertrand Mathieu (Orange Labs, France) 
Mohamed Faten Zhani (ETS Montreal, Canada)

Technical Program Committee

Dr. Anna Brunstrom, Karlstad University, Germany
Prof. Stewart Bryant, Futurewei, US
Prof. Georg Carle, Technische Universität München, Germany
Dr. Jiasi Chen, University of California, Riverside, US
Dr. Thibault Cholez, Universite de Lorraine, LORIA, France
Mr. Uma Chunduri, Intel Corporation, USA
Dr. Stuart Clayman, University College London, UK
Mr. Toerless Eckert, Futurewei, US
Dr. Flavio Esposito, Saint Louis University, US
Dr. Valerio Frascolla, Intel Deutschland Gmbh, Germany
Dr. Luciano Paschoal Gaspary, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil
Prof. Xavier Lagrange, IMT Atlantique, France
Dr. Bingyang Liu, Huawei, China
Dr. Guido Marchetto, Politecnico di Torino, Italy
Mr. Edgardo Montes de Oca, Montimage, France
Dr. K. Ramakrishnan, University of California, US
Prof. Martin Reisslein, Arizona State University, US
Prof. Thomas Schmidt, Hamburg University of Applied Sciences, Germany
Dr. Changyang She, The University of Sydney, Australia
Dr. Maria Torres Vega, Ghent University, Belgium
Mr. Stephane Tuffin, Orange Labs, France
Dr. Shen Yan, Huawei Technologies Co, China