Subject: [payload] RTP Payload for SMPTE ST 291 Ancillary Data

From: "Al Kovalick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 21:20:57 -0800

Members,

The recently submitted "RTP Payload for SMPTE ST 291 Ancillary Data";  
(draft-edwards-payload-rtp-ancillary-01) is a valuable addition for defining
media payloads over RTP.

The media industry is transitioning from "packaged multiple essence types"
per flow (i.e. SMPTE SDI, and most Transport Streams) to "single essence
types" per flow. Single essence (audio, video, metadata) flows enable
"virtual bundles" inside the network. Multi-essence flows are much less
flexible in terms of routing choices. Multi-essence flows can only be
separated outside the network walls whereas single essence flows can be
combined and separated at the network layer.

This draft RFC defines how to carry SMPTE ancillary data (single essence)
over RTP. This type of metadata is pervasive in a media facility (broadcast
especially). Today, it is commonly carried over a SMPTE SDI link (see St 292
for example) but there is a need for it to be carried over IP and RTP.  As
such, I endorse this effort. 

  Al

Al Kovalick

Media Systems Consulting

MediaSysConsult.com

408-462-5051

Description: MSC logo small