Subject: [payload] Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for VP8 Video' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-payload-vp8-17.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 07:34:24 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RTP Payload Format for VP8 Video'
  (draft-ietf-payload-vp8-17.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Payloads
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Barry Leiba, Ben Campbell and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-payload-vp8/

Technical Summary

This document specifies the RTP payload format for the VP8 video codec.
The VP8 codec supports various applications ranging from low-bitrate
peer-to-peer to high-bitrate videoconferencing applications.

Working Group Summary

        The WGLC process was run twice and bunch of comments were addressed in
the latest version. After the second WGLC, there were some comments
submitted by Cullen Jennings and one of the authors responded in the list.
At this time, we are proceeding with publication request. If there are
further comments, they can be submitted during the IETF LC.

The draft has been through IESG evaluation, and a second IETF last call due
to a normative downref. It is going through a second IESG evaluation due to the
long time that has passed since the first time.

Document Quality

        The VP8 codec has been used in various applications (most notably by
Google). Earlier versions of codec were used by Skype. The media subtype
registration review was requested on 11/28/2012.

Personnel

        Ali Begen is the document shepherd. Ben Campbell is the responsible AD.

RFC Editor Note

Please replace the definition of "Payload Type" definition in section 4.1::
OLD:
Payload type (PT):  In line with the policy in Section 3 of
      [RFC3551], applications using the VP8 RTP payload profile MUST
      assign a dynamic payload type number to be used in each RTP
      session and provide a mechanism to indicate the mapping.  See
      Section 6.2 for the mechanism to be used with the Session
      Description Protocol (SDP) [RFC4566].
NEW:
Payload Type (PT): The assignment of an RTP payload type for this packet
      format is outside the scope of this document and will not be
      specified here."
END