Subject: [PMOL] FW: [bmwg] Soliciting comments on GMPLS performance metrics draft inCCAMP
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: Weiqiang Sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 21:08:15 +0200
List-Id: Performance Metrics at Other Layers <pmol.ietf.org>

Although the authors did not ask the advice of the pmol working group, I
guess that they could get valuable inputs here as well. 
 
Dan

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Weiqiang Sun
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2008 11:44 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: 'Rajiv Papneja'; 'gjhhit'; 'zhangguoying'; [email-masked]; 'Bin
Gu'; 'xqwei'; 'blithe'
Subject: [bmwg] Soliciting comments on GMPLS performance metrics draft
inCCAMP

Hi IPPMers and BMWGers,

Recently the LSP dynamic provisioning performance draft is adopted as a
working item of CCAMP. The draft, abstract shown below, defines a set of
metrics to characterize the performance of a signaling protocol in the
control plane, which normally runs on top of a packet switched control
network. The draft proposes the metrics be tested in an active fashion.
It also proposes that some of the metrics be implemented in an online or
be collected passively.

The authors would now like to solicit comments among the performance
metric experts, as this document contains notations that are commonly
seen in IPPM and BMWG. The authors believe that your expertise can help
us further improve this document, with regard to the definition of the
metrics and the structure as well. Please send your comments directly to
the authors, or, to the CCAMP working group mail list (
[email-masked]). We do appreciate your input.

Title: Label Switched Path (LSP) Dynamical Provisioning Performance
Metrics in Generalized MPLS Networks

         Author(s) : W. Sun, G. Zhang, J. Gao, G. Xie, R. Papneja, B.
Gu, X. Wei

         Filename  : draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-dppm-01.txt

         Pages                 : 39

         Date                   : 2008-4-14

Generalized Multi-Protocol Label Switching (GMPLS) is one of the most

promising candidate technologies for the future data transmission

network.  The GMPLS has been developed to control and cooperate

different kinds of network elements, such as conventional routers,

switches, Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) systems, Add-

Drop Multiplexors (ADMs), photonic cross-connects (PXCs), optical

cross-connects (OXCs), etc.  Dynamic provisioning ability of these

physically diverse devices differs from each other drastically.  At

the same time, the need for dynamically provisioned connections is

increasing because optical networks are being deployed in metro area.

As different applications have varied requirements in the

provisioning performance of optical networks, it is imperative to

define standardized metrics and procedures such that the performance

of networks and application needs can be mapped to each other.

This document provides a series of performance metrics to evaluate

the dynamic LSP provisioning performance in GMPLS networks,

specifically the dynamical LSP setup/release performance.  These

metrics can depict the features of the GMPLS network in LSP dynamic

provisioning.  They can also be used in operational networks for

carriers to monitor the control plane performance in realtime.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-lsp-dppm-01.txt

Best regards,

Weiqiang

_______________________________________________
bmwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/bmwg
_______________________________________________
PMOL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pmol