Subject: [rtcweb] WG Action: Rechartered Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers (rtcweb)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 09:42:33 -0800

The Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers (rtcweb) WG in the Applications
and Real-Time Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers (rtcweb)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
  Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/rtcweb/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/rtcweb/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-rtcweb/

The RTCWEB working group was originally chartered to standardize mechanisms
that provide direct interactive rich communication using audio, video,
collaboration, games, etc. between two peers' web-browsers, without requiring
non-standard extensions or proprietary plug-ins.  The result was a set of
RFCs from RTCWEB, in addition to many other RFCs from other working groups,
all of which are interrelated and had to be published together in what the
RFC Editor refers to as a “cluster”.  In the end, that cluster comprised more
than 40 RFCs and was finally published in January 2021.

During the run-up to publication of the cluster, a contradiction was
identified between what became RFCs 8829 and 8843.  A description of this
contradiction was added to both documents to highlight the problem, and state
our intention to proceed with publication but quickly initiate an effort to
publish updates to the affected documents.

The key part of the added text was as follows:

“The specific issue involves the handling of "m=" sections that are
designated as bundle-only, as discussed in Section 4.1.1 of [RFC 8829]. 
Currently, there is divergence between JSEP and BUNDLE, as well as between
these specifications and existing browser implementations …”

The working group is being reconstituted to take up this contradiction, come
to consensus on a resolution, and issue Standards Track updates for those two
documents.  Specifically, the goal of this work is to address only the
contradictions regarding "bundle-only" between BUNDLE and JSEP.  The
resulting aligned solution should avoid impacting the interoperability with
SDP Offer/Answer.  Finally, the impact on existing implementations that are
affected by any change is to be considered.

draft-ietf-rtcweb-sdp, which has not yet been published, will be returned to
the working group to be updated according to the resolution of the issue
described above.  The working group will therefore produce updates to the
JSEP and BUNDLE documents, and re-submit draft-ietf-rtcweb-sdp for
publication after it has been revised.  Updating any other document, or
taking up any other issue, is out of scope and will require IESG approval via
rechartering.

Coordination with the MMUSIC working group to develop this solution will be
required.

Milestones:

  Aug 2021 - Update to draft-ietf-rtcweb-sdp to the IESG as Informational.

  Aug 2021 - Updates to the JSEP and BUNDLE documents to the IESG as Proposed
  Standard.

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 10:10:38 -0800

And we're back.

This is hopefully for a limited engagement, as the charter is quite pointed
on what we have to do.

We do have a meeting slot at IETF 110, Friday March 12, 12:00 UTC (the
first slot on the final day, in other words). The bulk of the time will be
spent on the handling of "m=" sections that are designated as bundle-only.
If you want to present on this, please send a note to the WG as soon as
possible.  If you have some other agenda item, please let Sean and me know,
and we'll discuss it with you.

thanks,

Ted and Sean

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 18:25:13 +0000

Hi,

I could present the JSEP/BUNDLE specification misalignment, unless someone else wants to.

Regards,

Christer

From: rtcweb <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Ted Hardie
Sent: perjantai 19. helmikuuta 2021 20.11
To: RTCWeb IETF <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] WG Action: Rechartered Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers (rtcweb)

And we're back.

This is hopefully for a limited engagement, as the charter is quite pointed on what we have to do.

We do have a meeting slot at IETF 110, Friday March 12, 12:00 UTC (the first slot on the final day, in other words). The bulk of the time will be spent on the handling of "m=" sections that are designated as bundle-only.  If you want to present on this, please send a note to the WG as soon as possible.  If you have some other agenda item, please let Sean and me know, and we'll discuss it with you.

thanks,

Ted and Sean

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 9:42 AM The IESG <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
The Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers (rtcweb) WG in the Applications
and Real-Time Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional
information, please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Chairs:
  Sean Turner <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
  Ted Hardie <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>

Assigned Area Director:
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Barry Leiba <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/rtcweb/

Milestones:

---

From: Roman Shpount <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 16:08:15 -0500

Hi Christer,

You are probably the most qualified to do so. Let me know if you need any
help regarding the current implementation status or backward interop
testing.
_____________
Roman Shpount

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 1:25 PM Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> *From:* rtcweb <[email-masked]> *On Behalf Of *Ted Hardie
> *Sent:* perjantai 19. helmikuuta 2021 20.11
> *To:* RTCWeb IETF <[email-masked]>
> *Cc:* [email-masked]
> *Subject:* Re: [rtcweb] WG Action: Rechartered Real-Time Communication in
> WEB-browsers (rtcweb)
>
>
>
> And we're back.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> rtcweb mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb
>

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 21:52:58 +0000

Hi Roman,

>You are probably the most qualified to do so. Let me know if you need any help regarding the current implementation status or backward interop testing.

I don’t have much information, so feel free to send me whatever you have :)

Regards,

Christer

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 1:25 PM Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg=[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hi,

Regards,

Christer

From: rtcweb <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> On Behalf Of Ted Hardie
Sent: perjantai 19. helmikuuta 2021 20.11
To: RTCWeb IETF <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Cc: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] WG Action: Rechartered Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers (rtcweb)

And we're back.

thanks,

Ted and Sean

Chairs:

Assigned Area Director:

Mailing list:

Milestones:

_______________________________________________
rtcweb mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb

---

From: Justin Uberti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 13:44:23 -0800

Here's an initial set of slides that I put together the other day, still a
few ??? to address:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1aprC-TwmLI_zGdWgnTdKVYvaqXNkcf9eMgMhAIzv8Ek/edit?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-8HY7ugai8XnQyH4sA8cQdA.
Please have a look and feel free to leave comments in the preso.

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 1:53 PM Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Roman,
>
>
>
> >You are probably the most qualified to do so. Let me know if you need
> any help regarding the current implementation status or backward interop
> testing.
>
>
>