Subject: [rtcweb] TURN over webtransport

From: John Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 06:34:58 -0500

Starting to seem like I'm going in circles, deed help/direction.

The questions relates to: TURN servers running over webtransport.

Please see end of this dialogue for details.

https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-pc/issues/2651

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 12:45:21 +0000

Hi,

I think you will have to make clear what type of functionality you are after.
TURN is a relay solution for UDP datagrams. Thus for running some other protocol
that uses UDP payloads between endpoints. So what UDP based protocol are you
trying to emit from an web application that then needs to be sent as IP/UDP to
hte far endpoint when you have Webtransport in place with a server? 

So MASQUE WG is already working on tunneling UDP Payloads over HTTP/3 to a
remote IP/UDP endpoint. That will provide similar functionality to TURN over
WebTransport if your goal is to be above HTTP. Would doing TURN over
WebTransport be just duplication of MASQUE? Or would it actually provide a
benefit? And why do you need a standarized version from a web app perspective?
Because you can clearly implement one over WebTransport and its API.  

An WebRTC application could use WebTransport to talk to the servers to achive
the benefits of WebTransport. For P2P usages similar API primitives do exist in
WebRTC. 

So what would TUNR over WebTransport provides in benefit? and for which use
cases? I think you need to make the requirements and usage first, then we can
discuss potential solutions.

Cheers

Magnus