Subject: Status of the Routing Area Directorate

From: Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:28:16 -0400

We (Adrian and Ross) think we are not getting the best out of the
routing area directorate. This is probably for many reasons, but at
least includes the fact that as ADs we have not properly defined the
role of the directorate nor our expectations.

We think that we should disband the directorate while we work out what
it is we want the directorate to do. Then we will be able to recruit
again with a specific charter and clearly defined roles. However, we are
intending to keep the current rtg-dir email list open until the week
before the Stockholm IETF in order to facilitate discussion of how to
make better future use of a new directorate.

Your views on what the routing directorate could/should be doing would
be very welcome and can be sent to the rtg-dir list prior to Stockholm,
sent to us directly, or discussed with us in Stockholm. We will flush
the routing directorate mailing just prior to the Stockholm IETF, and
resubscribe for the new directorate when (and if) it is formed.

In terms of what the directorate *should* be doing, there are several
possibilities that come to mind:

 1) Review some specific documents when asked by the routing ADs.

 2) Review all documents that are relevant to the routing area
(including all routing area documents, most or all Internet area
documents, and probably a few other documents).

 3) Help advise the routing ADs when particular questions arise that
require judgement and/or specific knowledge.

 4) Get together at IETF meetings (or elsewhere) to discuss routing area
issues. (Some problems come to mind with this idea: We are all already
too busy during IETF meetings; we are unlikely to have either desire or
budget to fly to a meeting at any alternate location; it is not clear
that we have any urgent routing area issues to discuss that aren't
already being discussed elsewhere).

In terms of how to ensure that directorate members actually do something
in the role (and not just sit on the list and ignore emails to it), we
are not quite sure of the preferred approach. One option for document
review is to explicitly assign documents to individuals, and fire people
from the list if they don't get the review done (with agreed guidelines
on how a member can refuse one particular assignment, and how often this
is permitted). Another option is to send emails to the list along the
lines of "we need one per document volunteer to review the following
list of documents", and then fire people who don't review some minimum
number of documents (perhaps, one per month(?)).

We would be very interested in getting input on any of: What the routing
directorate should do, how to ensure that members contribute, and any
other topics related to making better use of the directorate.

Thanks for your input on this subject. Also, many thanks for the time
and effort you have given over the years.

Adrian and Ross