Subject: [SAM] SAMTK @irtf69

From: "Lim Boon Ping" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:14:25 +0800

Hi all,

We have recently explored into SAM-RG activities through the mailing list and
meeting materials, and are keen to understand more on SAM-RG latest technical
priority and research focus. 

We are particularly interested to understand more on SAMTK by Mr. Kawaguchi,
specifically on SAMTK integration with Topology Management module.

I have read the presentation material in
http://samrg.org/about/meetings/ietf69/SAMTK-kawaguchi-ierf69.ppt, and would
hope if Mr. Kawaguchi or the RG members could clarify some of the questions.

What the scope of Topology management is as indicated in Slide 6? How do you
envision ALM/OM/hybrid protocols (given as a Plugin) seamlessly integrating
with SAMTK's Group Membership/Traffic management module? There are a few
dynamic topology management protocol discussed in the previous meetings, such
as Dynamic Mesh-based overlay multicast protocol (DMMP) and Hybrid Shared
Tree, could these protocol/mechanism easily being integrated/ported into
SAMTK? What're the standard input/output parameters would be provided by
SAMTK to/from the topology management plugin? 
 
Quite a number SAM applications have been developed using SAMTK, is there any
plan to integrate dynamic topology management plugin (eg. dynamic ALM
topology construction/update/route convergence), and perform experiment trial
on PlanetLab (or others large scale research test bed)? 
 
This work seems to be a good effort to spearhead a Standard Framework for
rapid SAM application development/deployment. How is this effort being
envisioned by other members in the RG? 

Hope to hear your thought on this soon! 

Yours truly,

Boon Ping

Panasonic Kuala Lumpur Lab

 

_______________________________________________
SAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sam

---

From: Nobuo Kawaguchi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:59:30 +0900

Dear Lim Boon Ping,

Thank you for having interest of SAMTK.
We are currently under alpha-development phase.

However, most of development efforts of SAMTK are 
held for protocol abstraction and group-management.
So topology management is not currently implemented.
(It is open for plug-in developers)

However, current plug-in interface is very simple.
If you have any comments, please let me know.

(Below is a part of current plug-in interface implementation )
---
    qint64 writeDatagram ( const char * data, qint64 size, SAMGroupAddress *g=NULL);
    bool start(ushort selfport);
    qint64 readDatagram ( char * data, qint64 maxSize, QHostAddress *address=0, quint16 *port = 0);
    bool hasPendingDatagrams () const;
    qint64 pendingDatagramSize ();   
    void close();
    bool setGroup(SAMGroupAddress *group);
    bool addMember(const SAMGroupMember &member);
    bool deleteMember(const SAMGroupMember &member);
---
SAMGroupAddress is a class for group of node addresses obtained 
from group management module.

Most of interface design is derived from Qt QUDPSocket.

I'm not sure it is enough to implement other ALM/OM protocols.
However, we are willing to support plug-in development on SAMTK.

yours,

Nobuo Kawaguchi

Lim Boon Ping wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>