Subject: [SAM] SAM Overlay Protocol

From: Matthias Waehlisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:05:42 +0200

Hi John,

  just one short remark to draft-buford-irtf-sam-overlay-protocol-01.txt:

  The GroupId in the tree lifecycle messages identifies "the overlay 
address of the root of the tree". Although the term is almost used in this 
sense, it is not true in general. Two examples: CAN multicast and the 
prefix-based bidirectional shared tree approach, which we presented in 
Chicago.

  Maybe we can rename the description to "the overlay group address".

Cheers
  matthias

-- 
Matthias Waehlisch
:. HAW Hamburg, Dept. Informatik       :. link-lab
:. Berliner Tor 7, 20099 Hamburg       :. Hoenower Str. 35, 10318 Berlin
:. Germany, mailto:[email-masked]  :. Germany, mailto:[email-masked]
:. http://home.fhtw-berlin.de/~mw      :. http://www.link-lab.net
:.
:. FU Berlin, Inst. Informatik, Berlin, Germany http://www.mi.fu-berlin.de
_______________________________________________
SAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sam

---

From: "John Buford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:21:46 -0400

Hi Matthias,
Isn't "overlay group address" somewhat circular?
Could you explain in more detail the problem with the current
text?  Are you saying there are instances where the groupId isn't
the root of the tree?
Thanks,
John

---

From: Matthias Waehlisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 09:48:13 +0200

Hi John,

> Isn't "overlay group address" somewhat circular?
  why? There is an underlay and overlay group address. And there are 
overlay PeerIds ... Overlay address seems to me a bit unspecified in the 
context of multicast.

> text?  Are you saying there are instances where the groupId isn't
  Yes, one example for this is CAN multicast. The group address in CAN is 
used to address the bootstrap peer. Based on this, the mini CAN will be 
constructed. However, data distribution is based on flooding the mini CAN. 
As far as I understand: Each member of the mini CAN may be inherently a 
source.

  Another approach is the bidirectional shared distribution tree, which we 
sketched in Chicago 
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/07jul/slides/SAMRG-3.pdf (for the paper 
cf. http://www.realmv6.org/bib/ws-buode-07.html) and elaborate at the 
moment.

Thanks
  matthias