Subject: [SAM] CFP Special Issue on Network-Aware P2P and Internet Video

From: John Buford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:37:10 -0500

CALL FOR PAPERS

International Journal of Digital Multimedia Broadcasting

Special Issue on
Network-Aware Peer-to-Peer (P2P) and Internet Video
(http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijdmb/si/p2p.html)

Important Dates:

Manuscript Due June 1, 2009
First Round of Reviews September 1, 2009
Publication Date December 1, 2009

CFP

Video and peer-to-peer contents are both rapidly increasing Internet
bandwidth demands. Recent reports predict an ?exaflood? from advances in
video over the Internet, rich media content, and user-generated content
(UGC). Another trend is the continued popularity and growth of peer-to-peer
(P2P) content delivery. Many estimates say that P2P accounts for most of the
current Internet traffic, and that video accounts for most of the growth in
Internet traffic. New systems and studies to optimize future P2P and video
traffic can have a very high impact on the future of the Internet.

In many cases, P2P traffic traverses long distances across core networks and
multiple Internet service provider (ISP) networks, even though the content
could have been retrieved from a much closer location. Internet video is
similar and often delivered from distant servers via multiple, redundant,
unicast streams. To address this, there has been a spate of recent effort on
systems, information exchange, and control to enable efficient P2P and video
content distribution. New systems and protocols are needed to enable
Internet content to work in concert with the network to be delivered from
the best source or over the least congested links. Localized P2P traffic may
only traverse a few hops instead of ten or twenty; allowing a vast decrease
in core network bandwidth. Application-layer multicast streaming and
emerging new content delivery systems using P2P are also being created and
optimized for efficiency.

Promoting state-of-the-art contributions from different research and
industrial fields, directly involved or applicable in solving the issues and
obstacles of P2P networking and P2P video, is the scope of this special
issue. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

Network-aware P2P and source-aware P2P
Selecting P2P sources and P2P routing to account for network loading
P2P with network awareness and control
Localized P2P
Linkages between network providers and Internet services
Using standards for NGN, IMS, SIP, and so forth for P2P
P2P in Next-Generation Service Overlay Networks (NGSONs)
P2P Content Distribution Networks (CDNs)
P2P Video on Demand (VOD)
Systems for legitimizing P2P and controlling P2P content
Streaming P2P video systems and analyses
Application-layer multicast for P2P streaming with multiple trees, meshes,
data chunks, swarms, and so forth
P2P and video bandwidth usage; current trends and future growth
Distribution of user-generated content (UGC)
Use of local cache servers
P2P combined with server-based content distribution
Proactive network Provider Participation for P2P

Before submission, authors should carefully read over the journal's Author
Guidelines, which are located at
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijdmb/guidelines.html. Prospective authors
should submit an electronic copy of their complete manuscript through the
journal Manuscript Tracking System at http://mts.hindawi.com/, according to
the following timetable:

Manuscript Due June 1, 2009
First Round of Reviews September 1, 2009
Publication Date December 1, 2009

Lead Guest Editor
Ken Kerpez, Telcordia Technologies, Inc., Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA

Guest Editors
Yuanqiu Luo, Huawei Technologies USA, Plano, TX 75075, USA
Stan Moyer, Telcordia Technologies, Inc., Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
John Buford, Avaya Labs Research, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920, USA
Dave Marples, Technolution B.V., Mansfield NG18 9DY, UK