Subject: [SAM] Release announcement: SpoVNet Overlay Software

From: Christian Hübsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:17:22 +0200

(Apologies if you receive multiple copies)

Dear Colleagues,

the "Spontaneous Virtual Networks" (SpoVNet) project is proud to release the
first complete open source implementation of the SpoVNet architecture for
spontaneous and flexible creation of overlay-based services and
applications. Details on the architecture and the SpoVNet project can be
found in [1]. SpoVNet is funded by the National Foundation of the State
Baden-Württemberg, Germany (Baden-Württemberg Stiftung gGmbH).

The SpoVNet software provides a convenient toolbox for the development of
overlay-based services and applications across heterogeneous networks. It
comprises base software, three examples for overlay-based services, and a
game application for demonstration purposes. Specifically, this initial
software release includes 

- the award-winning SpoVNet-base "ariba" (successfully demonstrated at ACM
SIGCOMM 2009 [2] and IEEE INFOCOM 2010 [3]),
- the multicast service "MCPO" (also part of [2], [3]),
- the event notification service "EONSON" [4], [5],
- the event correlation service "Cordies" [6],
- and the multiplayer game "PlanetPI4" [7].

Software packages and documentation are available from 

  http://www.spovnet.de/download.

Feedback from the community is highly appreciated. 

Please report experiences, wishes, and problems to [email-masked].

Best regards,
Oliver Waldhorst
(on behalf of the SpoVNet team)

*** References ***

[1] O. Waldhorst, C. Blankenhorn, D. Haage, R. Holz, G. Koch, B. Koldehofe,
F. Lampi, C. Mayer, and S. Mies, “Spontaneous Virtual Networks: On the Road
towards the Internet’s Next Generation,” it - Information Technology
(Special Issue on Next Generation Internet), vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 367–375,
2008. http://www.atypon-link.com/OLD/doi/pdf/10.1524/itit.2008.0508

[2] C. Hübsch, C. P. Mayer, S. Mies, R. Bless, O. P. Waldhorst, and u M.
Zitterbart, “Reconnecting the Internet with ariba - Self-Organizing
Provisioning of End-to-End Connectivity in Heterogeneous Networks,” ACM
SIGCOMM CCR, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 131–132, 2010.
http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1672308.1672334

[3] C. Hübsch, C. Mayer, S. Mies, R. Bless, O. Waldhorst, and M. Zitterbart,
u “Demo Abstract: Using Legacy Applications in Future Heterogeneous Networks
with ariba,” in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, San Diego, CA, USA, 2010.
http://www.ieee-infocom.com/2010/demos.html

[4] M. A. Tariq, B. Koldehofe, A. Altaweel, and K. Rothermel,
Providing Basic Security Mechanisms in Broker-less Publish/Subscribe
Systems, Proc. 4th ACM Int. Conference on Distributed Event-Based Systems
(DEBS), Cambridge, UK, 2010. (to appear)

[5] A. Tariq, B. Koldehofe, G. Koch, and K. Rothermel, Providing
Probabilistic Latency Bounds for Dynamic Publish/Subscribe Systems, 
Proc. Kommunikation in Verteilten Systemen (KiVS), Kassel, Germany, 2009.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/x36578745jv7wr88/

[6] G. Koch, B. Koldehofe, and K. Rothermel, Cordies: Expressive Event
Correlation in Distributed Systems, Proc. 4th ACM Int. Con. on Distributed
Event-Based Systems (DEBS), Cambridge, UK, 2010. (to appear)

[7] T. Triebel, B. Guthier, R. Sueselbeck, G. Schiele, and W. Effelsberg,
Peer-to-peer Infrastructures for Games, Proc. 18th Int. Workshop on
Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video (NOSSDAV),
Braunschweig, Germany, 2008. http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1496046.1496079