Subject: [secdir] Pasi's AD notes for September 2008

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:21:41 +0300

Hi all,

Here's again a short status update about what things are going on 
from my point-of-view. If you notice anything that doesn't look
right, let me know -- miscommunication and mix-ups do happen.

Best regards,
Pasi

MISC NOTES

- There have been two security-related BoF requests for IETF73:
  OAuth (in the applications area), and Content Rights Management
  (in the security area). For the latter, Tim and I have recommended 
  having a bar BoF first. 
- SecDir mailing list is in the process of being moved from mit.edu 
  to ietf.org servers.
- I've spent some time this month on tools development and IESG
  process improvements -- nothing is ready yet, but hopefully soon..

WORKING GROUPS

DKIM
- draft-ietf-dkim-ssp: in Publication Requested, waiting for 
  me to read it.
- Waiting for WG to send list of RFC errata IDs the WG agrees on.

EMU
- draft-ietf-emu-gpsk: in AD Evaluation -- waiting for revised 
  ID that reflects the new WG consensus on MAC length/key size 
  issue before going to IETF last call (since 2008-08-25)
- A liaison statement reply was sent to ITU-T SG 17 regarding X.1034, 
  "Guidelines on EAP-based authentication and key management in a 
  data communication network".
- IESG appointed Joe Salowey as the designated expert for IANA 
  allocation of EAP Type Codes
- (not WG item) draft-arkko-eap-aka-kdf ís now in IETF Last Call

IPSECME
- Lots of emails that I need to read (but haven't done so yet)
- (not wearing AD hat) I sent my "things that need to be looked at" 
  list about IKEv2bis to the mailing list; I need to check that   
  they got entered in the issue tracker, too.

ISMS
- It seems the discussion has largely converged; I'm waiting for
  revised IDs to read and review.

KEYPROV
- I sent more comments regarding PSKC; I need to read the replies
  and participate in discussion.
- I need to review and comment DSKPP, too.
  
SASL
- I replied to Frank Ellermann's appeal about WG chairs' handling 
  of draft-ietf-sasl-crammd5.
- Waiting for charter update text from the chairs (>6 months)

SYSLOG
- draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls: a revised version addressing
  Chris Newman's DISCUSS should be posted in a couple of days.
- draft-ietf-syslog-sign: there has been a bunch of replies to my
  AD evaluation comments that I need to read and process, but I 
  haven't done so yet.

TLS
- (not WG item) draft-rescorla-tls-suiteb is now in IETF Last Call.
- (not WG item) draft-hajjeh-tls-identity-protection: IESG reviewed
  this independent submission to the RFC Editor, and recommended
  not publishing it.

OTHER DOCUMENTS

- draft-ietf-capwap-*: I've been working with Pat and others,
  and I think we're done (except that agreed text needs to be   
  edited in, and some editorial nits fixed).
- draft-ietf-avt-rtcpssm: no news; waiting for Joerg to explore
  "feedback debug" messages.
- draft-santesson-digestbind: I read this and sent comments to
  Stefan.
- PKCS #1/RFC 3447 update: waiting for James Randall to post an
  update including the various errata.
- draft-mattsson-srtp-store-and-forward: I've promised to read 
  this and send comments, but haven't done so yet.
- draft-ietf-mpls-mpls-and-gmpls-security-framework: I've promised 
  to read this once there's a new version.
- "Security roadmap for routing protocols": I've promised to read
  and comment this once Gregory sends something.
  
DISCUSSES (active -- something happened within last month)

- draft-ietf-capwap-protocol-binding-ieee80211: text agreed,
  waiting for authors to submit a revised ID [since 2008-09-26]
- draft-ietf-lemonade-msgevent: waiting for authors to submit
  a revised ID [since 2008-09-08]
- draft-ietf-mip6-whyauthdataoption: waiting for authors to submit 
  a revised ID [since 2008-09-08]
- draft-ietf-mipshop-mstp-solution: the authors have replied to  
  my comments; I need to read the replies [since 2008-09-26]
- draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcsec-gss-v2: waiting for authors to
  reply to my comments [since 2008-09-25]
- draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject: waiting for authors to reply
  to my comments [since 2008-09-11]
- draft-ietf-sipping-race-examples: waiting for document shepherd
  or Jon to comment the "Updates" issue [since 2008-09-26]
- draft-ietf-v6ops-addcon: the changes in version -10 were sent
  to 6MAN WG for review; I'll clear once this has happened 
  [expected to happen on 2008-10-01]
- draft-mraihi-inch-thraud: version -07 addressed almost all of 
  my comments; waiting for authors to send RFC Editor Note text
  fixing the IANA issue, too [since 2008-09-02]

DISCUSSES (stalled -- I haven't heard anything from the authors 
or document shepherd for over one month)

- draft-cain-post-inch-phishingextns: waiting for authors to reply 
  to my comments or submit a revised ID [since 2008-08-28]
- draft-cam-winget-eap-fast-provisioning: waiting for authors to 
  reply to my comments or submit a revised ID [since 2008-08-28]
- draft-hautakorpi-sipping-uri-list-handling-refused: text agreed, 
  waiting for authors to submit a revised ID [since 2008-07-03]
- draft-ietf-enum-experiences: talked briefly with Jon Peterson 
  in Dublin -- waiting to hear more from the authors and/or Jon
  [since 2008-07-31]
- draft-ietf-pce-pcep: new version -15 addressed some comments from
  other ADs; some discussions about my comments has occured;
  waiting for proposed text or revised ID [since 2008-06-16]
- draft-ietf-pwe3-pw-atm-mib: waiting for authors to reply to
  my comments or submit a revised ID [since 2008-07-02]
- draft-zhou-emu-fast-gtc: changes probably agreed, waiting for authors
  to submit a revised ID to see exact text [since 2008-08-28]

DISCUSSES (presumed dead -- I haven't heard anything from the authors
or document shepherd for over three months)

- draft-ietf-bfd-base: waiting for authors to reply to my 
  comments or submit a revised ID [since 2008-06-05]
- draft-ietf-bfd-multihop: waiting for authors to reply to 
  my comments or submit a revised ID [since 2008-06-05]
- draft-ietf-bfd-v4v6-1hop: waiting for authors to reply to 
  my comments or submit a revised ID [since 2008-06-05]
- draft-ietf-shim6-proto: waiting for Erik to propose something 
  to solve IPsec interaction issue [since 2008-06-18]
- draft-ietf-simple-imdn: waiting for authors to reply to my 
  comments or submit a revised ID [since 2008-05-14]
- draft-ietf-sipping-sbc-funcs: new version (-06) addressed
  all comments except one; text agreed for the remaining one,
  waiting for RFC editor note or revised ID [since 2008-06-17]
- draft-ietf-tsvwg-emergency-rsvp: this document has large 
  number of discusses/abstains; waiting for Magnus to figure
  out next steps [since 2008-06-03]

--end--

_______________________________________________
secdir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://mailman.mit.edu/mailman/listinfo/secdir
_______________________________________________
secdir mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/secdir

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:09:01 -0700

At 11:27 AM -0700 9/30/08, Thomas Hardjono wrote:
>Not that I'm unsupportive, but I was wondering what is motivating 
>the IETF to propose such a BOF again at this time :)

I do not read Pasi's note as the IETF proposing anything: he said 
that there was a request for some to have the BoF. The fact that Pasi 
and Tim have suggested that this be a bar BoF first may give an 
indication of how excited they are about this work.

I, for one, hope to be far, far away from that bar BoF when it happens.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium