Subject: [secdir] secdir review of draft-cheshire-dnsext-nbp-09.txt

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 10:46:24 +0100

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

The informational draft discusses requirements for a IP replacement of
AppleTalk's Name Binding Protocol (NBP). As an individual submission,
there is likely little value in commenting on the content. However, I
would have appreciated if the authors would have discussed security as
a requirement for an NBP replacement. I know that flexible discovery
is often pretty much as odd with security, having "security measures
appropriate to the environment in which" an NBP replacement "will be
used" could have been an explicit requirement.

Editorial nit:

On page 9, the DNS name "printer1.ietf.org" should probably changed to
"printer1.example.com".

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>