Subject: [secdir] SecDir review of draft-ietf-sipcore-event-rate-control-05

From: "Hilarie Orman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 22:50:44 -0600

Security review of Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Event
Notification Extension for Notification Rate Control
draft-ietf-sipcore-event-rate-control-05

Do not be alarmed.  I have reviewed this document as part of the
security directorate's ongoing effort to review all IETF documents
being processed by the IESG.  These comments were written primarily
for the benefit of the security area directors.  Document editors and
WG chairs should treat these comments just like any other last call
comments.

This document specifies mechanisms for adjusting the rate of Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP) event notifications.  These mechanisms can
be applied in subscriptions to all SIP event packages.  Subscribers
can specify minimum and maximum rates.  The rate can change smoothly
and adaptively while maintaining an average rate requested by the
subscriber.

The security considerations for this document are inherited
from a prior document about SIP security and seem adequate
for the purposes of this document.

Hilarie Orman