Subject: [secdir] [new-work] WG Review: Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers (rtcweb)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 10:05:06 -0800

A new IETF WG has been proposed in the Applications and Real-Time Area. The
IESG has not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send your
comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by 2021-02-15.

Real-Time Communication in WEB-browsers (rtcweb)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
  Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>

Applications and Real-Time Area Directors:
  Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
  Murray Kucherawy <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rtcweb
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/rtcweb/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/rtcweb/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-rtcweb/

The RTCWEB working group was originally chartered to standardize mechanisms
that provide direct interactive rich communication using audio, video,
collaboration, games, etc. between two peers' web-browsers, without requiring
non-standard extensions or proprietary plug-ins.  The result was a set of
RFCs from RTCWEB, in addition to many other RFCs from other working groups,
all of which are interrelated and had to be published together in what the
RFC Editor refers to as a “cluster”.  In the end, that cluster comprised more
than 40 RFCs and was finally published in January 2021.

During the run-up to publication of the cluster, a contradiction was
identified between what became RFCs 8829 and 8843.  A description of this
contradiction was added to both documents to highlight the problem, and state
our intention to proceed with publication but quickly initiate an effort to
publish updates to the affected documents.

The key part of the added text was as follows:

“The specific issue involves the handling of "m=" sections that are
designated as bundle-only, as discussed in Section 4.1.1 of [RFC 8829]. 
Currently, there is divergence between JSEP and BUNDLE, as well as between
these specifications and existing browser implementations …”

The working group is being reconstituted to take up this contradiction, come
to consensus on a resolution, and issue Standards Track updates for those two
documents.  Specifically, the goal of this work is to address only the
contradictions regarding "bundle-only" between BUNDLE and JSEP.  The
resulting aligned solution should avoid impacting the interoperability with
SDP Offer/Answer.  Finally, the impact on existing implementations that are
affected by any change is to be considered.

draft-ietf-rtcweb-sdp, which has not yet been published, will be returned to
the working group to be updated according to the resolution of the issue
described above.  The working group will therefore produce updates to the
JSEP and BUNDLE documents, and re-submit draft-ietf-rtcweb-sdp for
publication after it has been revised.  Updating any other document, or
taking up any other issue, is out of scope and will require IESG approval via
rechartering.

Coordination with the MMUSIC working group to develop this solution will be
required.

Milestones:

  Aug 2021 - Update to draft-ietf-rtcweb-sdp to the IESG as Informational.

  Aug 2021 - Updates to the JSEP and BUNDLE documents to the IESG as Proposed
  Standard.

_______________________________________________
new-work mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/new-work