Subject: RE: [Syslog-sec] syslog message truncation

From: "Sharon Chisholm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:33:46 -0500

hi

Ok. My current thinking on message truncation is that we want to encourage
the dropping of the SD-PARAMS and the retention of the message text. This is
the more unique bit and makes for much simpler truncation. We can add a bit
to the header if we want or indicate that if the SD-PARAM list is blank,
then truncation may have occurred. Ok. a bit in the header is probably
better.

So, the preference is

1) No truncation
2) Truncation by dropping SD-PARAMS; 
3) If 2) not sufficient, truncate message
4) In the case that truncation cannot result in a valid message then
dropping. Note that given the current truncation algorithm, this may not
actually occur.

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: Rainer Gerhards [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 7:42 AM
To: Chisholm, Sharon [CAR:5K50:EXCH]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Syslog-sec] syslog message truncation

Sharon,

> If truncation is required, then the point of truncation be
> determined. If it
> is within the message text, then the truncation bit be set within the
> message header and the message be sent with its reduced size. 
> If the point
> of truncation is somewhere before the message text, then this 
> message be
> discarded.

I am not sure if it is appropriate to drop the message completely. At least
the drop should be optional (maybe with a rule that the truncated message
should not further be forwarded).

I am concerned because I think we might loose vital information in this
case.

As an alternate approach, the "truncation information field" could have
three values:

n - no truncation occured
m - truncation im MSG part
s - truncation in STRUCTURED-DATA part

that would convey enough information to the (ultimate) receiver so that it
can decide how to act on a message.

Comments?

Rainer

_______________________________________________
Syslog-sec mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.employees.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog-sec