Subject: [Syslog] minor comments on draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-17.txt

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:53:53 +0100

Hi,

I have just read draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-17.txt and I found some
minor issues and I thought I let you know about them.

a) The text describing example 1 in section 6.5 seems to be
   contradictionary:

     [...] The encoding is defined by the BOM,
     and also advertised in STRUCTURED-DATA.  There is no STRUCTURED-DATA
     present in the message, this is indicated by "-" in the STRUCTURED-
     DATA field.

   I think the second sentence should be removed (but read on).

b) The text describing example 2 in section 6.5. seems to have no
   STRUCTURED-DATA but this is not explained. I assume that the
   sentence from a) should actually belongs to example 2.

c) I am puzzled why the "enc" parameter is useful. Why does it make
   sense to repeat the primary indicator (BOM)? I think a
   justification is needed or the "enc" parameter should be dropped.

/js

PS: I am new to this list so please forgive my ignorance if I happen
    to make "stupid" comments.

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder		 International University Bremen
				 (Jacobs University Bremen as of Spring 2007)
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	 P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:00:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi Juergen,

enc has been dropped from syslog-protocol.

Thanks,
Chris

---

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:04:31 +0100

Hi Juergen, 

I am close to publishing the -18 version, you made it right in time. 

a) and c) have been resolve by dropping "enc" as chris said. I have
added an additional sentence on the non-presence of STRUCTURED-DATA to
care for b).

Thanks for your comments!

Rainer
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 5:54 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Syslog] minor comments on draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-17.txt
> 
> Hi,
>