Subject: [Syslog] Updated IPR disclosure

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:02:50 -0500

Hi,

The syslog WG co-chairs were notified that a request was being made
to Huawei by a company experienced in IETF IPR disclosures, that
Huawei modify their terms related to the TLS transport document.
Huawei has chosen to change their terms as requested.

The new terms can be seen at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?&ipr_id=763

The new disclosure is relevant to tls-03. We have requested Huawei to
also post an update relevant to tls-04, which was just published.

The changes apparently are meant to tighten the language a bit, and to
make Huawei terms more consistent with those of other companies filing
disclosures within the IETF. 

The co-chairs are not lawyers, and cannot provide legal advice about
the changes. 

The WG needs to consider whether the modified terms are acceptable for
this document to be advanced to the standards-track. Please send your
comments to the co-chairs as soon as possible.

David Harrington
[email-masked] 
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 14:31:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi Everyone,

Cisco asked Huawei to make this change.  Essentially the prior statement 
appeared to be similar to the IPR statements made by Cisco and other 
companies but it had differences that were not acceptable to the Cisco 
legal team.  Hence, Cisco would not have been willing to implement the 
standard produced.  Huawei's legal team looked into this and they have 
made these changes.

The new statement appears to me (as David says, we are not lawyers) to be 
much closer to the intent of Cisco's, and others, IPR statements.  I'm 
asking Cisco's legal team to review this and I will post Cisco's response 
when I have that.

(Working Group Chair Hat OFF): On behalf of Cisco, I would like to thank 
Huawei for addressing this issue.

I must note once again that the IETF will not make any determination of 
the validity of any IPR claimed.  Huawei has been following the IETF rules 
on disclosure and statement of terms.

Thanks,
Chris

---

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:37:04 +0100

Hi Everyone,

My comment is not on the essence of the patent (outside the scope of the
IETF) but on the licensing terms. I find them quite acceptable and thank
Huawei for the clarifying and right-in-time update.

In short: I have no concerns, we should advance -transport-tls.

Rainer

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Lonvick [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, November 27, 2006 11:32 PM
> To: David Harrington
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Syslog] Re: Updated IPR disclosure
> 
> Hi Everyone,
>