Subject: [Syslog] IESG approval process

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 07:13:44 -0500

Hi,

It is important for the WG to understand the process that we are
entering, and the sequence of events. Here is a rough description of
the process (you can read the relevant RFCs and internet-drafts to get
the exact process.)
 
1) we submit the documents to the AD/IESG. ****Change control now
rests with the IESG; we are not permitted to modify the document
except as requested by the AD/IESG.
2) The AD will review the documents to determine if they are ready for
general IETF review and for IESG review. The AD has the responsibility
of "selling it" to the rest of the IESG.
3) The AD/IESG may ask experts to review the documents, for such
things as security, congestion control, MIB review, etc.
4) The AD/IESG will ask the general IETF to review the documents. This
is called IETF Last Call. Any issues raised will be recorded, and the
IESG, in cosultation with the chairs, will need to determine whether
changes should be made to address the issues. In general, this filters
out all the issues for which we have already reached consensus.  The
chairs (document shepherds) decide whether the requested changes
require consultation with the WG.
5) Once any raised issues are addressed to the IESG's satisfaction,
the IESG should approve the documents. 
6) The documents go to the RFC editor to be published as RFCs. The rfc
editor will make minor changes to correct spelling and grammar, change
boilerplates to the RFC boilerplates (if they differ from
internet-draft boilerplates), etc.
7) AUTH48 is the final review by authors to correct spelling and
grammar and contact addresses, and to make sure the editing done by
the rfc-editor does not change any semantics inadvertently. The WG
does NOT get a chance to review these changes, so the changes should
only be editorial in nature. Once the document is published as an RFC,
it is never changed, so AUTH48 is that final sanity check before we
cast it in stone.

David Harrington
[email-masked] 
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog