Subject: [Syslog] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-20.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 15:50:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Security Issues in Network Event Logging Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The syslog Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Gerhards
	Filename	: draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-20.txt
	Pages		: 38
	Date		: 2007-5-2
	
This document describes the syslog protocol, which is used to convey
   event notification messages.  This protocol utilizes a layered
   architecture, which allows the use of any number of transport
   protocols for transmission of syslog messages.  It also provides a
   message format that allows vendor-specific extensions to be provided
   in a structured way.

   This document has been written with the anticipated original design
   goals for traditional syslog in mind.  The reason for a new layered
   specification has arisen because standardization efforts for reliable
   and secure syslog extensions suffer from the lack of a standards-
   track and transport independent RFC.  Without this document, each
   other standard needs to define its own syslog packet format and
   transport mechanism, which over time will introduce subtle
   compatibility issues.  This document tries to provide a foundation
   that syslog extensions can build on.  This layered architecture
   approach also provides a solid basis that allows code to be written
   once for each syslog feature rather than once for each transport.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-20.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-20.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-protocol-20.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog