Subject: [Syslog] SDE proposals

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 08:50:50 -0400

Hi,

As syslog WG co-chair, let me make the WG aware of this point.

Standardization of structured data elements (SDEs) is out of scope for
this WG.
The syslog WG is a **security** WG, not a data modeling WG.

The protocol document describes the fact that IANA-registered SDEs
should be approved by Standards action. That is for (IETF-sponsored)
IANA-registered SDEs only. Individuals can define their own SDEs
(containing an at-sign) that are not IANA registered.

We have had a couple drafts brought to this WG that define SDEs. If
members of this WG want to standardize SDEs, they should request the
creation of a WG in the OPS area to do that work, or if the SDEs
relate to a specific type of SDEs, such as those related to RAI
technologies, you might be abel to start a WG in the associated area.
You will probably need to develop a charter, with document
deliverables, timelines within which the documents will be delivered,
and limits on which types of SDEs will be developed within the
documents. Charters can be renewed to develop new documents for SDEs
with different focus over time.

Personally, I think defining and registering standard SDEs would be
very valuable work. However, the syslog WG in the Security Area is not
the correct WG to host this work.

David Harrington
[email-masked] 
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
co-chair, syslog WG

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 06:02:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

David is correct in this.  No matter how strongly we feel that defining 
SDEs for other applications is good work, it will not be done in this WG.

For documents that describe new SDEs, the alternatives to forming a new WG 
are:
- have SDEs defined in a WG that is already dealing with that application
- produce individual contribution documents and get the support of an Area 
Director to turn them into RFCs.

Please keep in mind that draft-ietf-syslog-protocol lists the "IETF 
Consensus" method for adding new SDEs.  From RFC 2434:
       IETF Consensus - New values are assigned through the IETF
            consensus process. Specifically, new assignments are made via
            RFCs approved by the IESG. Typically, the IESG will seek
            input on prospective assignments from appropriate persons
            (e.g., a relevant Working Group if one exists).

Thanks,
Chris