Subject: [Syslog] geographic location in syslog - draft-dulaunoy-syslog-geolocation-00

From: "Alexandre Dulaunoy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 07:10:19 +0200

Dear,

We had the need to add geographic meta information to syslog messages.

Here is a draft :

	Title		: geographic location in syslog
	Author(s)	: A. Dulaunoy
	Filename	: draft-dulaunoy-syslog-geolocation-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2007-4-30
	http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dulaunoy-syslog-geolocation-00.txt

Feel free to review and provide your comments.

Thanks a lot,

Best regards,

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: Eric Fitzgerald <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 11:04:25 -0700

Hi Alexandre,

What is the use case for adding geographic meta data to syslog messages?
Why should this be an RFC?

Why would this not be payload (and therefore not part of any syslog
standard)?

Where would the data be sourced from, presumably a GPS attached to the
device generating syslog messages?

GPS typically output NMEA sentences, serialized as ASCII text.  It might
be easier computationally and standards-wise to adopt the appropriate
NMEA sentence format, "GLL", and include that in the relevant syslog
messages: http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm#GLL.  This
solution would invalidate my next two comments.  However GLL does not
include altitude data so you would still have to account for that;
currently GPS vendors use proprietary NMEA 0183 sentences for this
purpose (there's information on the same page).

The WGS 84 coordinate system referenced in the draft uses an X-Y-Z
coordinate system, not latitude and longitude.  You should explicitly
call out that these are signed values and what valid sign characters
are, etc., and not use "latitude" and "longitude".

If you want to use latitude and longitude, the messages are missing
cardinal compass direction references (N/S and E/W).  Also altitude is
presumably signed in this case.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
Eric Fitzgerald
Microsoft Corporation

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexandre Dulaunoy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 10:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Syslog] geographic location in syslog
-draft-dulaunoy-syslog-geolocation-00

Dear,

Here is a draft :

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dulaunoy-syslog-geolocation-00
.txt

Thanks a lot,

Best regards,

---

From: "Anton Chuvakin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 09:25:10 -0700

It sounds kinda bizarre to me too... I though geo lookups can be handled
elewhere..

-- 
Anton Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA, GCIH, GCFA
      http://www.chuvakin.org
  http://chuvakin.blogspot.com
    http://www.info-secure.org
_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog