Subject: [Syslog] Huwai junk patent predating on syslog and BEEP now online

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:15:10 +0100

Hi all,

I have just been able to find the one of the uttermost pieces of carp
that the wrotten patent system has produced. May I introduce you to
Miao's genius invention for the syslog protocol:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1881668.html

As a side-note, it has quite some technical flaws and shows some
fundamental misunderstanding on how syslog works. But maybe that's what
the real invention is...

I also find it quite disturbing how the tuning profile selection process
from RFC 3080 is being re-invented in this invention. And it is also a
nice steal to see my architecture slides

http://www.syslog.cc/ietf/presentat/syslog-protocol-03/img3.html

being represented in a childish way (or did you steal them from a
freshmen's course book?). Thanks Huwaii and Miao for this great
invention and stealing my work. I really appreciate it. I bet Marshall
T. Rose will also be delighted.

Rainer 
_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: Alex Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:05:19 -0500

I conducted the first BOF on syslog security at IETF46 (DC, 1999) and 
have been listening in since then.  (My, how time flies.)  This is an 
amusing conclusion.  I no longer work in this field, thank God.  Good luck.

Alex Brown <[email-masked]>