Subject: [Syslog] transport-tls status - has it died?

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 18:12:42 +0200

Hi Chris and David,

I notice that -transport-tls will expire by May, 20th. I also notice
that nobody yet has acted on mailing list comments (at least not mine,
some unacceptable text is still in it).

Could you please tell us what the status of this draft is and if it is
expected to be updated and brought to the IESG (after all, everything
else is waiting in queue for it...).

Thanks,
Rainer
_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 12:26:34 -0400

Hi,

The -tls- draft is in AD Evaluation. It won't expire while in that
state.
Miao's day job prevented him from continuing to edit.
The chairs have gotten a new co-editor for the document (Joe Saloway).
A new revision has been prepared and is being reviewed by the chairs
and ADs. 

dbh

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rainer Gerhards
> Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 12:13 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Syslog] transport-tls status - has it died?
> 
> Hi Chris and David,
>

---

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 11:23:30 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

Apologies for not updating everyone about this sooner.

draft-ietf-syslog-protocol and draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp have been 
accepted by the IESG and are being held up by 
draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls.  Our thanks to Miao and Yuzhi for getting 
that document to this stage.  Like David says, Joe is addressing the IESG 
comments and the WG discussion items.  We hope to have a new draft out for 
WG review soon.

David has shepherded draft-ietf-syslog-tc-mib to IETF Last Call.  Everyone 
should have seen that announcement go out earlier today.  Please review 
and send in comments.

You can find the status of all of our work through datatracker:
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/idtracker/

Best regards everyone and have a good weekend,
Chris

---

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 10:26:45 +0200

Hi again,

thanks for the update. Just let me tell why I am curios: after waiting
for quite a while, I could no longer hold implementation of syslog/TLS
in rsyslog [ http://www.rsyslog.com ]. I started roughly a month ago
with the TLS bits (the framing is in rsyslog since long, at least well
over a year). I have now basically finished it and will release the
first version with TLS support most probably on Monday.

The first version will address only the basic needs. I started to look
at transport-tls yesterday to see what else I need to implement.
Obviously, that wasn't that helpful. Anyhow, I am in the need to
implement. I would really appreciate if we could see an update ASAP. I
also know about at least one other project who is also implementing
syslog-tls.

Once I have finished all details, it will become quite hard to change
things in a way that keeps compatibility. My project will be flagged
experimental for roughly 4 to 8 weeks, thereafter I run into that
problem. I don't know of the other project. 

Of course, that is primarily my problem, but I find it quite unfortunate
if we end up with multiple incompatible implementations after all that
works ... but that's the way it currently looks like...

Rainer

> From: Chris Lonvick [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 8:24 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Rainer Gerhards; David Harrington
> Subject: Re: [Syslog] transport-tls status - has it died?
> 
> Hi Folks,
>

---

From: "Alexander Clemm (alex)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 17:53:12 -0700

What about draft-ietf-syslog-sign?  
--- Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Chris Lonvick (clonvick)
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 11:24 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Syslog] transport-tls status - has it died?

Hi Folks,

draft-ietf-syslog-protocol and draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp have been
accepted by the IESG and are being held up by
draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls.  Our thanks to Miao and Yuzhi for
getting that document to this stage.  Like David says, Joe is addressing
the IESG comments and the WG discussion items.  We hope to have a new
draft out for WG review soon.

David has shepherded draft-ietf-syslog-tc-mib to IETF Last Call.
Everyone should have seen that announcement go out earlier today.
Please review and send in comments.

Best regards everyone and have a good weekend, Chris

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 02:39:13 -0400

syslog-sign has a dependency on syslog-tls, so we need to resolve
syslog-tls before we can advance syslog-sign. syslog-sign is sitting
patiently in the queue to be processed ;-)

dbh 

> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Alexander Clemm (alex)
> Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 8:53 PM
> To: Chris Lonvick (clonvick); [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> draft-ietf-syslog-protocol and 
> draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp have been

> >> Could you please tell us what the status of this draft is and if
it
> > is

---

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 05:30:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

You can see the status of all WG and related documents here:
   http://tools.ietf.org/wg/syslog/

Thanks,
Chris

---

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 09:08:26 -0400

Hi,

To help you understand the status of the drafts, you should definitely
look at http://tools.ietf.org/wg/syslog/ as Chris said. To understand
the status column, see
https://datatracker.ietf.org/images/state_diagram.gif. This is the
IETF state diagram. (I also attached it to this email.)

The WG is primarily involved in getting an ID to be good enough to
move from the upper left hand corner (ID exists) to (Publication
Requested). This is the point at which a WG asks that it be published
as an RFC.

At the bottom of http://tools.ietf.org/wg/syslog/ is a link to a
dependency graph showing how our documents relate to each other. In
general, a draft cannot advance in the standards track unless the
drafts it depends on also have advanced to the same or higher level,
so drafts depending on syslog-tls cannot advance until syslog-tls
advances.  

The graph also shows other drafts being worked on related to syslog;
they might interest you if you have not seen them yet, and you might
want to get involved in those documents or develop your own drafts.

Hope this helps,
dbh

> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Chris Lonvick
> Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:31 AM
> To: Alexander Clemm
> Cc: [email-masked]
> >>>> that nobody yet has acted on mailing list comments (at least
not
> >>> mine,