Subject: [Syslog] Syslog-sign: Extending Hash/Signature Algorithm field

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:40:50 +0300

The current NIST-approved hash functions would already consume >50% 
of the number space for hash algorithms (and we can expect more
algorithms the hash algorithm competition). Thus, having a field 
with only 10 possible values doesn't sound too good (even if the 
protocol version field also allows some extensibility).

If we e.g. allowed using letters as well, we'd have 62 possible
values instead -- would that be a reasonable approach?

Best regards,
Pasi
_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog

---

From: Jon Callas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:29:47 -0700

On Jul 23, 2008, at 5:40 AM, <[email-masked]> <[email-masked] 
 > wrote:

> values instead -- would that be a reasonable approach?

Yes.

	Jon