Subject: [Syslog] Protocol Action: 'TLS Transport Mapping for Syslog' to Proposed Standard (fwd)

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 08:26:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

Pop the champagne corks.  :-)

This frees up
  draft-ietf-syslog-protocol
  draft-ietf-syslog-transport-udp
so that all three can now become standards track RFCs.  Our thanks to 
Rainer and Anton for being patient with those documents while we worked 
our way through -transport-tls.

We now have one more item to complete in our charter: syslog-sign.  We've 
gotten a list of review items back from Pasi, and Alex is now working on 
addressing those.  Please review and comment on this when he gets 
proposals to the list.

Many thanks,
Chris

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed,  8 Oct 2008 08:08:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>,
     RFC Editor <[email-masked]>,
     syslog mailing list <[email-masked]>,
     syslog chair <[email-masked]>
Subject: Protocol Action: 'TLS Transport Mapping for Syslog' to
     Proposed Standard

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'TLS Transport Mapping for Syslog '
    <draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-14.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Security Issues in Network Event
Logging Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Pasi Eronen and Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-syslog-transport-tls-14.txt

Technical Summary

    This document describes the use of Transport Layer Security (TLS)
    to provide a secure connection for the transport of syslog
    messages.  This document describes the security threats to Syslog
    and how TLS can be used to counter such threats.

Working Group Summary

    There was controversy around the IPR statement from Huawei from
    this document. The Working Group examined the issue and came to
    consensus that the statement would be accepted.

    There was some controversy around the use of a special character to
    denote the end of the payload, or a counter at the start of the
    payload to indicate the length of the payload. The Working Group
    has consent that a counter is the best mechanism.

    There was also some controversy about the use of a dedicated port
    for this initial version of syslog over TLS. The consensus was that
    a dedicated port should be requested and that there should be no
    indication of version. The consequence of this is that any future
    change to the mapping of syslog over TLS, which is considered very
    unlikely, might require a different port number. This lack of a
    version number in the mapping of the application protocol to a
    transport is consistent in how syslog is mapped to UDP, and is also
    consistent with similar mappings of ISMS and netconf.

    Support for certificate fingerprint matching was added to address
    concerns from the ADs (Sam and Pasi) about deployability in small
    environments without a PKI. Other alternatives for providing "good
    enough" level of security without a PKI were discussed as well.

Document Quality

    This protocol has very similar characteristics to implementations
    of syslog over SSL that are available at this time. Members of the
    Working Group have noted that it should be a very small change to
    bring those implementations in line with this specification.

    No vendors have announced that they will utilize this
    protocol. Some vendors have indicated interest in supporting this
    document. A group of university researchers have implemented this
    protocol and found that it is practicable. Another member of the WG
    has indicated that he is currently implementing the protocol as
    well.

Personnel

    Chris Lonvick is the Document Shepherd; Pasi Eronen is the
    Responsible AD.

_______________________________________________
Syslog mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/syslog