Subject: Re: [Syslog] syslog for oceanographic event logging? (fwd)

From: "David Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:07:13 -0500

Hi,

This is directed to the document editors, but I am copying the WG so
they know what is happening.

The Copyright boilerplate for new documents has been changed to permit
the IETF to allow other organizations more ways of handling RFC text.
One of the main goals of the changes is to enable more flexible
licensing to meet the needs of open source developers and needs of
other standards development organizations. But some legal issues arose
for documents containing substantial text from pre-november-2008
documents. So the IETF and the IETF Trust have been working to provide
a new option for this class of document.

XML2RFC has not yet been updated because there are many conditionals
to the copyright boilerplate, and the xml2rfc maintainers are trying
to figure out how many switches they need to spit the various
combinations of text. I think xml2rfc 1.34 will be out this week.
Marshall Rose has asked for a definitive answer from "the people in
charge"  so they can finalize the xml2rfc update.

There is ongoing debate about who is "in charge" of this issue though.
Neither IAB nor IESG nor the IETF Trust nor the IAOC has full
authority for the changes to both internet-drafts and RFCs, so they're
all working together to sort out this difficult problem.

Since we are not dependent on these documents for an IETF74 session,
and our next revisions will be turned into unalterable RFCs, I
recommend the WG editors wait the few extra days so we get it right. 

I will keep the WG updated.

David Harrington
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Lonvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:37:45 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

David, Rainer and I were having a conversation with an oceanographer about 
using the RFC syslog in that environment.  So, there's two parts of good 
news:
- the oceanographers are positive about using the RFC syslog, and
- David's news below.

:-)
Thanks,
Chris