Subject: [xml2rfc] Suggestion: Jump to content

From: Roger Price <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 20:40:35 +0100 (CET)

I would like to suggest that xml2rfc adds a link from the top of the HTML page 
it generates to the point in the document at which original/non-repetitive 
content begins.

Popular browsers such as Firefox place the xml2rfc produced table of contents at 
the side of the page, but this doesn't happen for the text browsers used by low 
vision readers.

Low vision people need help to get over the boiler plate and table of contents 
that they find at the head of every RFC/ID presented by their specialist 
browsers.  This help is provided by a "Jump to content" link at the very top of 
a page.  Full vision people can get a similar experience of the problem when 
reading IETF HTML pages with text browsers such as w3m.

The current xml2rfc grammar does not allow the author to add a "Jump to 
content", since the <link> element is EMPTY.  A simple solution would be to add 
an attribute "jump-to-content IDREF #REQUIRED" to either the <link> or the <rfc> 
element where the corresponding ID marks the point at which interesting content 
begins.  xml2rfc would then display this association as a clickable link.

Roger

Background
----------

1. W3C Techniques for WCAG 2.0 :

G1: Adding a link at the top of each page that goes directly to the main content 
area https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/G1.html

2, Section 508: Repetitive Content 2.4.1 Bypass Blocks

A mechanism is available to bypass blocks of content that are repeated on 
multiple web pages.

Content/Design Considerations

Identify the repetitive content on pages and the location of where a skip 
mechanism should land.

https://www.section508.gov/content/guide-accessible-web-design-development#repetitive_content