Subject: [xml2rfc] Page break before large <artwork>/<sourcecode> element

From: "Martin Gwerder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 12:23:57 +0200

Hi all

Is anyone aware of a way to suppress the page break before a large
artwork/sourcecode element when using the pdf renderer?

I do not think that it is a bug in principal but maybe something of the
category "not nice". The renderer seems to work by the logic "if does not
fit on the current page then insert page break". In my eyes it should be "if
not fit on the current page AND ELEMENT IS SMALLER THAN A PAGE then insert
page break". In my eyes it should be considered as a future improvement. At
the moment I would be very happy with a attribute that allows me to suppress
the initial page break at the beginning of an artwork/sourcecode or any
comparable workaround. Anyone aware of such a thing?

Regards

Martin

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 16:22:47 +0200

Am 02.04.2021 um 12:23 schrieb Martin Gwerder:
> category “not nice”. The renderer seems to work by the logic “if does
> not fit on the current page then insert page break”. In my eyes it
> should be “if not fit on the current page AND ELEMENT IS SMALLER THAN A
> PAGE then insert page break”. In my eyes it should be considered as a
> future improvement. At the moment I would be very happy with a attribute
> that allows me to suppress the initial page break at the beginning of an
> artwork/sourcecode or any comparable workaround. Anyone aware of such a
> thing?

That sounds like an actual bug, and I would report it at
<https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/newticket>.

Best regards, Julian

---

From: Sandy Ginoza <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2021 09:43:23 -0700

Hi Martin,

You can try keepWithPrevious=“true” and/or keepWithPrevious=“true”, but it doesn’t always help.

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon in the PDFs.  https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/463 details some page break issues.

Thanks,
Sandy 

> On Apr 2, 2021, at 7:22 AM, Julian Reschke <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> xml2rfc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml2rfc
>