Subject: Last Call: The Architecture of the Common Indexing Protocol (CIP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:53:36 -0500

The IESG has received a request from the Common Indexing Protocol
Working Group to consider publication of the following as Proposed
Standards:

 o The Architecture of the Common Indexing Protocol (CIP) 
	<draft-ietf-find-cip-arch-01.txt>

 o MIME Object Definitions for the Common Indexing Protocol (CIP) 
	<draft-ietf-find-cip-mime-02.txt>

 o CIP Transport Protocols <draft-ietf-find-cip-trans-00.txt>

The IESG will also consider publication of the following
Internet-Drafts as Experimental:

 o A Tagged Index Object for use in the Common Indexing Protocol 
	<draft-ietf-find-cip-tagged-05.txt> 

 o CIP Index Object Format for SOIF Objects
	<draft-ietf-find-cip-soif-02.txt>

 o Registration Procedures for SOIF Template Types 
	<draft-ietf-find-soif-registry-00.txt>

 o LDAPv2 client Vs the Index Mesh
	<draft-ietf-find-cip-ldapv2-01.txt> 

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the 
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by March 13, 1998.

Files can be obtained via
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-find-cip-arch-01.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-find-cip-mime-02.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-find-cip-trans-00.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-find-cip-tagged-05.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-find-cip-soif-02.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-find-soif-registry-00.txt
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-find-cip-ldapv2-01.txt

---

From: [email-masked] (Ted Hardie)
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 08:37:54 -0800

In the last call notice, draft-ietf-find-soif-registry-00.txt was
listed as being considered for experimental.  What happens, then,
with the creation of the registry?  If an "experimental" registry
is created, I have severe doubts about its usefulness.  If the
registry will be created and maintained, I am confused about the
experimental designation.

I realize that the IANA considerations documents (and who knows
how much mailing list traffic on IANA and its successors) has come
out since this document was written; if it needs to be re-written
to conform, I would be happy to do so.

			regards,
				Ted Hardie
				NASA NIC