Subject: Draft minutes of the tspatm BOF

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:02:59 -0500

Here are the draft minutes of the tspatm BOF.  If there are no
comments, I will send them tomorrow as is to CNRI.

You can find most of the presentations listed below at
ftp://ftp.nexen.com/pub/ip-atm/tspatm-96mar/ .  The one exception is
Yakov's talk (#11), which is at
ftp://ftp.nexen.com/pub/rolc/96mar/Rekhter-PIM-ATM.* .

Andy
-------
Minutes of the RSVP and INTSERV over ATM (tspatm) BOF

Los Angeles IETF, 6 March 1996 1530-1730.
Chaired by Andrew Malis.
Reported by Jeffrey Dunn, Evi Nemeth, and Andrew Malis.

This BOF met with the intention of both presenting technical
proposals for adapting Integrated Services and the RSVP protocol to
ATM subnets, and discussing the procedure the IETF should use to
pursue the work.  There were 170 attendees.

Agenda:
    1. Agenda Bashing
    2. Int-Serv ATM interface (Partridge)
    3. Support for RSVP based services over an ATM network
       (Birman, Guerin, Kandlur)
       * draft-birman-ipatm-rsvpatm-00
    4. RSVP and IP over ATM (Berson)
    5. Issues for RSVP and Integrated Services over ATM
       (Borden, Crawley, Krawczyk, Baker, Berson)
       * draft-crawley-rsvp-over-atm-00 (distributed via email)
    6  Native ATM Support in the Internet (Jackowski)
       * draft at ftp://ftp.netmanage.com/pub/outgoing/nativatm.txt or
         http://www.netmanage.com/netmanage/natm.html
    7. Current Status of ST2 over ATM experiment at NTT
       Telecommunication Networks Laboratories (Suzuki)
    8. Another IP Signaling Protocol using IP (IP-SVC) (Fujikawa)
       * draft distributed by email
    9. Session Identity Notification Protocol (Goto)
       *  draft-goto-sinp-01
   10. A Framework for Supporting RSVP Flows Over ATM Networks
       (Onvural, Srinivasan)
       * draft-onvural-srinivasan-rsvp-atm-00.txt (distributed via email)
   11. Support for Sparse Mode PIM over ATM (Rekhter, Farinacci)
       * draft-rekhter-pim-atm-00
   12. A word from the Transport Area Director

Due to the length of the agenda, the chair asked that the
presentations be as brief and succinct as possible.

Int-Serv ATM interface

Craig Partridge's talk made the argument that it is easy to map from
the Guaranteed and Controlled Load services to ATM connection
quality of services specifications, and he discussed some proposed
mappings.  There are still some issues to be addressed, especially
delay measurement.

Support for RSVP based services over an ATM network

Dilip Kandlur proposed RSVP changes to optimize its performance over
ATM and leverage ATM features such as signaling and traffic
management.  In particular, he proposed that mechanisms be added to
RSVP to allow ATM shortcut VCs to be established.  He also proposed
changes in ATM signaling to permit a better fit to the int-serv QoS
specifications.

RSVP and IP over ATM

Steve Berson gave an overview-oriented talk as he compared RSVP and
ATM features and mechanisms, and presented a variety of scenarios of
how both homogeneous and heterogeneous multicast reservations could
be mapped to ATM. His goal is to make the interworking of the two
technologies as seamless as possible.

Issues for RSVP and Integrated Services over ATM

Eric Crawley listed a number of issues that must be
addressed in order for RSVP to run over ATM, and proposed a
problem division and plan of action that included IETF
working groups, the ATM Forum, IEEE, and possibly other
organizations.

Native ATM Support in the Internet

Steve Jackowski presented ST2 /ST2+ as a possible alternate
to RSVP for providing the Integrated Services QoS over ATM
and other heterogeneous subnet technologies.

Current Status of ST2 over ATM experiment at NTT
Telecommunication Networks Laboratories

Muneyoshi Suzuki presented the current status of NTT's ST2
over ATM experimentation, using TV quality motion-JPEG video
and CD/DAT quality stereo audio transmissions.

Another IP Signaling Protocol using IP (IP-SVC)

Kenji Fujikawa presented IP-SVC, which is a mechanism for
establishing soft-state IP-level "SVCs" over an underlying
PVC-based ATM network.  It is currently being tested using a
Japan-wide PVC ATM network.

At this point, the meeting was running low on time, and the chair
announced that agenda items 9-11 would be postponed. He then turned
the floor over to Allison Mankin, the Transport Area Director.  She
announced the IntServ over Foo (isfoo) BOF, which was specifically
charged with discussing the formation of a working group to apply
the Internet Integrated Services architecture to various subnet
technologies, including ATM. [The BOF met the following morning and
heard the remaining presentations, and the BOF resulted in the
formation of the issll (Integrated Services Over Specific Lower
Layers) working group.  Send a subscribe request to
[email-masked] to joint the wg's email list.]

Following Allison's presentation, the WG adjourned.

End of Minutes