Subject: Re: Some words from the cochairs...

From: [email-masked] (Fred Baker)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 1994 13:39:17 -0800

>> I also feel that some of the issues (characterizing criteria for
>> evaluating suitability of ATM/other media for supporting IP and TCP) are
>> outside the scope of this forum, but that is just my opinion.
>
>I'm not suggesting we disect any particular media.  Since we are
>striving to better take into account reality, we might consider
>acknowledging that TCP is the overwhelming predominant means of
>delivering elastic service.

I'm not sure that's true. In the IP Internet, yes, it is overwhelmingly
true, but the use of TCP in DECNET, IPX, or AppleTalk networks is, um,
somewhat limited. I think what we can say is that the use of class three
and class four transports is the predominant means of providing elastic
services, and NFS/AppleShare/IPX NCP are the second tier.

What you go on to say is unchanged in impact when you edit

        :1,$s/TCP/Class three or four transport/g

=============================================================================
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 1994 17:47:43 -0500

> services, and NFS/AppleShare/IPX NCP are the second tier.

NFS over IP is notorious for it's terrible performance over WANs.
That is one reason why BSD offers NFS over TCP.

Appleshare and IPX also run poorly over WANs.  They certainly don't
share bandwidth well.

Shall we learn from mistakes or perpetuate them?

There is no native AppleShare/IPX/SNA/NetBIOS on the Internet and IMO
this is a good thing.  The IETF has a history of promoting technically
sound solutions (more sound than other stuff out there at least) that
are demonstratably practical (proven by generally putting experience
before standardization not after).  If politcal correctness was the
goal, the IETF would have dropped IP and jumped on the GOSIP bandwagon
a decade ago.  (Sorry for the soapbox routine).

>         :1,$s/TCP/Class three or four transport/g

Except we can then be content with the mediocraty of poorly designed
transport protocols continuing to work poorly over heterogeneous WANs.
So IMO we don't make the global substitution you suggest.

If you are running AppleShare/IPX NCP you are certainly not living on
the edge.

Curtis