Subject: Faults in the Internet

From: [email-masked] (Konstantinos Dovrolis)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 17:51:59 -0500

Hi,

I am working on active fault management mechanisms for integrated-services
internets. Does anybody have measurements or other "real data" on 
realibility issues for the current Internet? For example, how often
links (physical or logical) fail? Are these link failures uni-directional?
Are they permanent or temporary? Are node failures more frequent than link
failures? What is a usual MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) for commonly used
routers or switches? What about failures due to protocol errors or 
implementation bugs?

BTW, is there any other working group that is closer to this kind of issues?

Thank you in advance,

                      -- Constantinos Dovrolis 
--------
Graduate student		              [email-masked]
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Engr.          Tel: (608) 262-5130
University of Wisconsin-Madison               Fax: (608) 265-4623
1415 Engineering Drive                        http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~dovrolis
Madison, WI 53706.