Subject: Re: (IPng 3992) Re: Qry on Traffic Policing (IPv6 header changes)

From: Dimitry Haskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 10:53:56 -0400

At 11:09 PM 6/11/97 -0400, Conta, Alex wrote:
>
>Dimitry,
>
>You seem to imply that such a feedback would exist between downstream
>and upstream routers or switches? Or do you assume that the edge
>routers/ switches would be the first to be congested? Did you have
>certain combinations in mind? like router to router, router to switch ,
>switch to router, switch to switch, the same or different feedback
>depending on router
>or switch? would all switches provide this feedback? what about a case
>in which a non-congested switch that drops a packet is down stream from
>the congested switch that dropped a cell? Would you be more specific?
> 
There is many ways to provide congestion feedback from the interior of
network to the edges. Some schemes are proprietary (the last time I was
involved in one of such projects was quite a while ago), some are being
worked out in different forums (e.g., ABR for atm). Some schemes try to
prevent congestion and packet/cell drop, others react to it post fact.  To
be more specific I'd have to write a dissertation but there is already more
of them than you probably have time to read.

Regards,
  Dimitry