Subject: Contributing to 802.1 Multimedia Taskforce

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 94 17:33:30 EDT

This is a copy of an open request I mailed before contact with your working
group.  We are still looking for contributions.  I have a copy of  your
overview document, and believe both groups seem to be working towards the
same goals and even seem to be    traveling down the same path.

Who else in the internet community might be interested in our efforts, and
how  do I reach them?

Steve

Background:

The IEEE 802 standardizes Local Area Networks.  Current LANs standardized or
in development include Ethernet, Token Ring, Token Bus, 100VG-AnyLAN, 100Mbps
Ethernet, 10BaseT, et.al.

 In November of 1993, a new Taskforce was established to propose
modifications to existing and future LANs so that they would better support
audio and video traffic.  The goal of the 802.1 Multimedia Taskforce is to
develop an environment for the seamless transport of multimedia traffic on
802 LANs.

To that end, WE ARE SOLICITATING  MULTIMEDIA LAN REQUIREMENTS, from groups
and individuals who ought to have an opinion  about such things .  A group of
individuals stands by to translate these requirements into LLC Requests and
Primatives which then will drive the efforts within this International
StandardsBody.

                                                                        *****

We feel this efforts compliments the efforts of the IMA, IETF,and other
activities.  We  are
actually looking to theseorganizations to make sure we are solving the right
set of problems.

It's been my experience that LAN folks are typically not well versed in
Multimedia requirements, and vice versa.

                                  YOU CAN HELPxA LOT!.

If you  take the time, now,  to help us nail down the real issues, the LANs
and WANs we develop  and you will use in the near  future will do a better
job of supporting the services you want to provide.

                                    DO IT NOW!

What you feed us in the next two weeks will become the basis of work at the
next
802 meeting.

To contribute, please post your requirements to:

                                              [email-masked]

Thanks in advance,

Stephen W. Cooper
Chairman, 802.1 Multimedia Taskforce

If you have any questions contact:

Steve Cooper
Systems Engineering Society
[email-masked] or [email-masked]
(508) 420-3100
(508) 420-0210 (FAX)