Subject: FYI -- new RFC on real-time services

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 95 14:18:05 -0700

Craig

E-mail: [email-masked] or [email-masked]

------- Forwarded Message

To: [email-masked]
Subject: RFC1821 on Real-time Service in IP-ATM Networks
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 95 10:05:29 PDT
From: "Joyce K. Reynolds" <[email-masked]>

- --NextPart

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 1821:

        Title:      Integration of Real-time Services in an IP-ATM
                    Network Architecture
        Author:     Borden, Crawley, Davie & Batsell
        Date:       August 1995
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 64,466
        Updates/Obsoletes:  none

        URL:        ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1821.txt

The IETF is currently developing an integrated service model which is
designed to support real-time services on the Internet.  Concurrently,
the ATM Forum is developing Asynchronous Transfer Mode networking
which similarly provides real-time networking support. The use of ATM
in the Internet as a link layer protocol is already occurring, and
both the IETF and the ATM Forum are producing specifications for IP
over ATM.  The purpose of this paper is to provide a clear statement
of what issues need to be addressed in interfacing the IP integrated
services environment with an ATM service environment so as to create a
seamless interface between the two in support of end users desiring
real-time networking services.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  This memo
does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 1543, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.

- --NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

- --OtherAccess
Content-Type:  Message/External-body;
        access-type="mail-server";
        server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

SEND /rfc/rfc1821.txt

- --OtherAccess
Content-Type:   Message/External-body;
        name="rfc1821.txt";
        site="ds.internic.net";
        access-type="anon-ftp";
        directory="rfc"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

- --OtherAccess--
- --NextPart--

------- End of Forwarded Message