Subject: Re: "minimal subset" API

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 10:27:56 -0800

*> From [email-masked] Wed Nov 23 01:29:02 1994
  *> X-Sender: fred@nacho
  *> Mime-Version: 1.0
  *> Content-Type  *> :   *> text/plain  *> ;   *> charset="us-ascii"  *> 
  *> Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 01:05:26 -0800
  *> To: [email-masked]
  *> From: [email-masked] (Fred Baker)
  *> Subject: "minimal subset" API
  *> Content-Length: 956
  *> X-Lines: 19
  *> 
  *> The application vendors would love to have a "minimal subset" API so that
  *> they can write code portable among various platforms, including various
  *> flavors of UNIX, MacIntosh, Windows, and Windows NT.
  *> 
  *> I understand that there is a sense in the working group that this API
  *> should be to a central Quality Manager process, which in turn generates the
  *> actual messages. That's fine by me, I'm certainly not an API designer. But
  *> whatever it is it needs to be spelled outin sufficient detail that some
  *> UNIX guru or McHacker can implement it without too much grief.
  *> 
  *> Note that I don't feel that this has to be the be-all and end-all. We
  *> should be able to add services that we find we need. But it does have to be
  *> well enough thought out that current generation products can be hosted on
  *> it without excess pain.
  *> 

Fred,

I agree that this is an urgent problem; I only wish the answer were clearer.
It sounds easy to define a minimal API, but it seems hard avoid immediately
falling into the academit pit of service models, traffic models and shaping,
etc.  How can we subset the problem in such a way as to deal with it?

Bob Braden

---

From: [email-masked] (Fred Baker)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 11:39:04 -0800

At 10:27 AM 11/28/94, [email-masked] wrote:
>How can we subset the problem in such a way as to deal with it?

I could have sworn that I read an API (set of method interfaces for
accessing RSVP services by the applications) in the specification. The
question is: is it adequate for the current set of applications?

=============================================================================
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!