Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-intserv-predictive-svc-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 95 09:40:58 -0500

A Revised Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories. This draft is a work item of the Integrated Services Working 
Group of the IETF.                                                         

       Title     : Specification of Predictive Quality of Service          
       Author(s) : S. Shenker, C. Partridge, B. Davie, L. Breslau
       Filename  : draft-ietf-intserv-predictive-svc-01.txt
       Pages     : 14
       Date      : 11/16/1995

This memo describes the network element behavior required to deliver 
Predictive service in the Internet.  Predictive service is a real-time 
service that provides low packet loss and a fairly reliable delay bound.  
This service is intended for applications that are tolerant of occasional 
late arriving packets, but require substantial and quantified levels of 
delay control from the network.  Predictive service is very similar to 
Controlled Delay service, and the two specifications have a fair amount of 
shared language.  The main salient different between the two services is 
that Predictive service offers a delay bound and Controlled Delay does not.
If no characterizations are provided, then Predictive service is, from an 
application's perspective, almost indistinguishable from Controlled Delay; 
the delay bounds are of little use if the endpoints are not aware of them. 
Thus, the distinction between Predictive and Controlled Delay is important 
only in contexts where characterizations are made available to endpoints.  
This specification follows the service specification template described 
in [1].                                                                       

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
     "get draft-ietf-intserv-predictive-svc-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-intserv-predictive-svc-01.txt
 
Internet-Drafts directories are located at:	
	                                                
     o  Africa                                   
        Address:  ftp.is.co.za (196.4.160.8)	
	                                                
     o  Europe                                   
        Address:  nic.nordu.net (192.36.148.17)	
        Address:  ftp.nis.garr.it (192.12.192.10)
	                                                
     o  Pacific Rim                              
        Address:  munnari.oz.au (128.250.1.21)	
	                                                
     o  US East Coast                            
        Address:  ds.internic.net (198.49.45.10)	
	                                                
     o  US West Coast                            
        Address:  ftp.isi.edu (128.9.0.32)  	
	                                                
Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.	
	                                                
Send a message to:  [email-masked]. In the body type: 
     "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-intserv-predictive-svc-01.txt".
							
NOTE: The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
      MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
      feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
      command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
      a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
      exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
      "multipart" MIME messages (i.e., documents which have been split
      up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
      how to manipulate these messages.
							
For questions, please mail to [email-masked].

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the Internet-Draft.