Subject: draft-nichols-diff-svc-arch-00.txt

From: Van Jacobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 97 15:16:56 PST

An internet draft for the differentiated services BOF at the Dec.
IETF is available at:
    ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/draft-nichols-diff-svc-arch-00.txt

(it was submitted just after the I-D deadline & probably won't make
it onto the standard distribution sites.)  The cover page and abstract
of this draft is attached.

Also note that the complete version of this document, including
its figures, is at ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/dsarch.pdf

Thanks.

 - Kathie Nichols, Van Jacobson, Lixia Zhang

----------------------------

Internet Engineering Task Force         K. Nichols / V. Jacobson / L. Zhang
INTERNET-DRAFT                                                    Nov, 1997
draft-nichols-diff-svc-arch-00.txt                            Expires: 5/98

    A Two-bit Differentiated Services Architecture for the Internet

Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft.  Internet-Drafts are working
   documents of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), its areas,
   and its working groups.  Note that other groups may also distribute
   working documents as Internet-Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress".

   To learn the current status of any Internet-Draft, please check the
   "1id-abstracts.txt" listing contained in the Internet- Drafts Shadow
   Directories on ftp.is.co.za (Africa), nic.nordu.net (Europe),
   munnari.oz.au (Pacific Rim), ds.internic.net (US East Coast), or
   ftp.isi.edu (US West Coast).

Abstract

    This document presents a differentiated services architecture for
    the internet. Dave Clark and Van Jacobson each presented work
    on differentiated services at the Munich IETF meeting [2,3].
    Each explained how to use one bit of the IP header to deliver a
    new kind of service to packets in the internet. These were two very
    different kinds of service with quite different policy assumptions.
    Ensuing discussion has convinced us that both service types
    have merit and that both service types can be implemented with
    a set of very similar mechanisms. We propose an architectural
    framework that permits the use of both of these service types
    and exploits their similarities in forwarding path mechanisms.
    The major goals of this architecture are each shared with one
    or both of those two proposals: keep the forwarding path simple,
    push complexity to the edges of the network to the extent possible,
    provide a service that avoids assumptions about the type of traffic
    using it, employ an allocation policy that will be compatible with
    both long-term and short-term provisioning, make it possible for
    the dominant Internet traffic model to remain best-effort.

NOTE: This document includes figures that are an integral part of its
      content.  The IETF's choice of ascii as the standard document form
      precludes the inclusion of those figures.  The complete document,
      with all its figures, is available at:
          ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/dsarch.pdf

---

From: Jon Crowcroft <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 08:36:45 +0000

>    ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/draft-nichols-diff-svc-arch-00.txt
 
 Kathie, Van, Lixia,

its great to have this documented now - i have one observation about
the state nformation that the BBs keep.....
a VERY simple extension of the policy database that is built for BGP
would allow you with the MIB data for the linespeeds from border routers
to add the info needed - why not specify this specifically in that
language/context, to make at least one deployment/incremental
implemation model of that part of the architecture clear?

 (yes, i know
a BB might not necessarily always coiincide with a BGP border router,
or vice versa, but the language and mechanisms are so similar....)

cheers

jon