Subject: Mbone over wireless links

From: [email-masked] (Richard J Blaha)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 96 14:42:01 EST

I am investigating the use of the Mbone system to operate between 
     three to four nodes over wireless links (1 Mhz bandwidth) in a field 
     deployable military ground operation. The intended applications 
     include multipoint collaborative capabilities such as video 
     teleconferencing and shared whiteboards.
     
        I am sending this inquiry to you because the Integrated Services 
     Working Group Charter addresses some of the issues that I am 
     investigating. Please let me know if there is other Mbone experts I 
     should contact. 
     
        Specifically, I am interested in learning of Mbone performance over 
     wireless links. For example, what is the impact of increased bit error 
     rates on Mbone performance? How much bandwidth is required to support 
     video teleconferencing and shared whiteboard between three and four 
     nodes? What kind of performance can be expected over a 1 Mhz link? Has 
     a Mbone system been implemented over wireless links before? 
     
        With Mbone being a loosely controlled system, how does Mbone 
     arbitrate concurrent requests for network access from multiple users? 
     Can one user dominate the network?
     
         Is Mbone reliability and robustness an issue? How can one be 
     assured that a Mbone system will work without failure? Are there known 
     problems that must be addressed before Mbone can be considered for a 
     mission critical network?
     
        Finally, I would appreciate recommendations to guide a test of this 
     application in simulated operating conditions.
     
     Thank you,
     
     Dick Blaha