Subject: RE: QOS Routing - high level comments (long)

From: Arlie Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 12:45:53 -0400

Over-provisioning is not the answer.  I want to be able to use applications
that rely on bandwidth / QoS reservations in environments in which
over-provisioning is not at all possible.  For example, a medium-sized
corporate network that integrates all communications (voice, video,
data) cannot afford to be over-provisioned.  Someone responsible
for paying for a network will _not_ like to be told that s/he needs
to buy twice the bandwidth that current applications are using.

An integrated communications network should work in the small-
and medium-scale environments, as well as the global scale.

-- arlie

----------
From: 	Noel Chiappa[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent: 	Sunday, April 07, 1996 7:43 AM
To: 	[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: 	[email-masked]
Subject: 	Re: QOS Routing - high level comments (long)

    From: Tony DeSimone <[email-masked]>

    Every argument I've heard from the firmly no-reservations camp ultimately
    comes down to either ``over-provisioning'' or ``adaptive applications.''  I
    don't think either argument is compelling.

Hmm. Do you believe that with "enough" overprovisioning, and a traffic load
which is reasonably consistent (i.e. modellable, I don't mean constant load)
one can make a statistical guarantee of a specified level of service (of the
kind I outlined in a previous message)? (Assume some non-cheatable priority
marking scheme so that best-effort traffic spikes don't interfere with the
delay of real-time traffic...)

If you don't think overprovisioning can provide a statistical guarantee of
service, I'd be very interested to hear why you don't think it can. If it can,
of course, then either resource allocation *or* overprovisioning would be an
acceptable solution from the perspective of the user, and which is preferrable
would be a matter principally of economics (and to a lesser degree engineering
complexity, etc, etc), no?

	Noel (taking the other side for a moment :-)

---

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 13:27:42 PDT

> From:	Arlie Davis <[email-masked]>
> 
>                                              Someone responsible

Surely that depends on the cost of that bandwidth, compared to the cost
of the machinery required to micro-manage it.

Someone responsible for buying telephones for a corporation might not
like being told that s/he needs to buy one for every desk even though only
a fraction of them are in use at any one time, but it's often preferable
to the alternatives.

Steve