Subject: Handling of Resv msgs

From: [email-masked] (Vijay Srinivasan)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 14:46:36 -0500 (EST)

I was wondering about the handling of Resv messages for the different
service classes -- for the Guaranteed Delay class, if the bandwidth
requested in the Rspec is not available, it seems reasonable to
send an error message back to the receiver and not forward the Resv
message to the next hop.  However, for the Controlled and Predictive
Delay classes, say the receiver wants to go from level 3 up to level 2:
if this is not possible at a given node, an error message should be sent
back to the receiver -- but perhaps the Resv message *should* be
forwarded to the next hop?  The receiver may be satisfied with the performance
it receives by being moved up to level 2 at some of the nodes, and remain
at level 3 at the others.  But then, if this is the case, what service
level is the user receiving from the network?  Level 2.5? :)
Is this considered a valid configuration within RSVP?

Alternatively, for the reservation to be considered successful, it could
be required that all the nodes along the path be able to provide the
same level of service.  But this might be somewhat stringent for the
Controlled and Predictive classes..

Best regards,
- Vijay