Subject: CFP IEEE Network Special Issue

From: Anindo Banerjea <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 13:58:17 -0500

Please pardon us for any duplicate copies that you may receive from
being on multiple mailing lists. I am trying not to send on any list more
than once, to minimize duplicates, but you know how it is with mailing
lists.

Anindo Banerjea
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
			   CALL    FOR    PAPERS

                            IEEE Network Magazine
      Special Issue on Transmission and Distribution of Digital Video
	   http://www.comsoc.org/socstr/techcom/ntwrk/special.html

Guest Editors:

Bhumip Khasnabish                    Anindo Banerjea
GTE Labs. Inc., MS-48      University of Toronto, Dept. of ECE
40 Sylvan Road                   10 King's College Road
Waltham MA 02254, USA       Toronto, Ontario M5S 3G4, Canada
Tel: +1-617-466-2080              Tel: +1-416-946-3063
Fax: +1-617-890-9320              Fax: +1-416-971-3020
E-Mail: [email-masked]      E-Mail: [email-masked]
www1.acm.org:82/~bhumip/    www.comm.utoronto.ca/~banerjea/

Scope: A picture is worth a thousand words. Human beings can communicate
more effectively using images and sound as compared to textual data. Digital
transmission and distribution of audio-visual information enables multimedia
communication over the same network that supports data communication. This
makes it possible for the consumer to interact with the audio-visual
programming, in ways that were not possible with one way analog broadcast
systems. Digital representation of audio/video opens up the possibility of
computerized processing of the multimedia information, allowing consumers to
archive, index and retrieve the programs in a content-based manner, or to
have agents filter the programs that they wish to see. Digitally encoded
information is also much more resilient to degradation during transmission
and storage, giving the consumer a better picture and sound quality.

The purpose of this special issue of IEEE Network Magazine is to present six
or seven tutorial level articles covering major results/aspects of
transmission and distribution of digital video. In addition it will also
present reports on new developments and experimental results on all aspects
of transmission and distribution of digital video. The special issue will
look at the entire spectrum of bit-rate and quality requirements, looking at
issues from technologies to services.

  1. Technologies for digital video transmission and distribution: CBR, VBR,
     and ABR ATM services. ATM or IP over xDSL lines. Video over broadband
     wireless links. Issues of integrating multiple technologies.
  2. Techniques for coding, manipulation and delivery of high quality video:
     CBR coding, VBR coding, layered coding, MPEG-4, etc. Video delivery in
     heterogeneous multicasting environments. Effect of network impairments
     on video.
  3. Endsystem/server issues in relationship to networks: Set-top
     technologies. Network computers. Realtime operating systems. Video on
     demand (VOD) server architectures and operating systems. Storage
     systems. Synchronization issues. Articles must address network
     implications.
  4. Services and applications: Adaptive applications. Video conferencing.
     Entertainment and games. Virtual reality. Relationship between network
     characteristics and service quality. Human Machine Interface (HMI).
     Middleware for multimedia QoS control. Service enhancement. Content
     based agents/search engines. Articles must address network
     implications.
  5. Management and control of digital video distribution networks: Resource
     reservation. QoS signalling and routing. Multicast routing. Management
     architectures for multimedia networks.
  6. Field trials and experimental results: Video over the "Last Mile".
     Video over xDSL. Video over ATM. Low and variable bitrate video over
     Internet. Other access technologies. MPEG-2 over networks.
  7. Tools: Cost analysis. Simulations of digital video networks. Analytical
     models for digital video networks.

Authors are invited to submit four hardcopies or electronic files of
their papers to [email-masked] or [email-masked]. Papers
should not exceed twenty double spaced pages in length, excluding
figures and diagrams.

Schedule:

* Submission deadline: April 15, 1998
* Acceptance notification: August 1, 1998
* Final manuscripts due: September 1, 1998
* Publication date: November, 1998

 Copyright (c) 1997 Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
                            All rights reserved.