Subject: comments on guaranteed service 01b

From: [email-masked] (John Krawczyk)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 95 10:38:03 EDT

Craig,

First, to add my 2c about the floating point restrictions, I'm now
convinced that the way to go is to specify the limits on each
parameter individually, which will imply what one can and cannot
do via the IEEE representation.

Other things:

In the section "Network Element Data Handling Requirements", an
example of the use of D is given, taking the reader out of the math
and into the practical aspects, which is good IMHO.  It would be nice
to include an example of C also.

Regarding policing:

   A source split point is a
   spot where the multicast distribution tree from a source branches to
   multiple distinct paths.

I had thought this was only necessary if it was a reservation merge
point and the Rspecs for the flow down the different branches
differed.  Policing is only necessary when the Rspec for a particular
outgoing interface is "less" than the one advertised toward the sender
after merging.

That's it.

-jj