Subject: simple questions

From: [email-masked] (Michael Bradley)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 08:05:26 PDT

Seems like there is a need to get this list going after the 
Seattle IETF.  We cant let RSVP get too far ahead :-}

I have a couple of hopefully simple questions. The first is on
traffic shaping. Could someone give me a simple explanation of
when it is required, where and why? Regarding how, I assume that
a token bucket is adequate. Also (and this is a sort of RSVP 
question), is it the task of the resource reservation protocol to
initiate such processing?

Secondly, I am not sure how the various classes of predictive
service would be esatblished. I assume that they would be set by policy
and that the classes would be relatively static.  Could someone
elaborate?

 Michael Bradley

---

From: Christian Huitema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 17:30:14 +0200

>a token bucket is adequate.

Traffic shaping is supposed to closely follow the reserved resource. How to
parametrize traffic shaping in the absence of reservation is an interesting
question. It also get very interesting if the reservation is made by the
receiver without coordination with the sender.

A token bucket adequately enforces a peak rate. I have some doubts on the
enforcement of other variables, e.g. variations...

Christian Huitema