Subject: Guaranteed service on Ethernet

From: Umesh Sirsiwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 08:56:38 +0530 (IST)

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
| Umesh Sirsiwal	       |   Banyan Networks Pvt Ltd/DONLab|
| [email-masked]   |   C. S. Deptt.-IIT-Madras-600036|
|                              |   Call me -+91-44-2351365x3531  |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|	CARE TO GET THE THING YOU LIKE				 |
|		OR YOU WILL BE FORCED TO LIKE WHAT YOU GET       |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 08:52:37 +0530 (IST)
From: Umesh Sirsiwal <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Guaranteed Service

	I am a new comer to the list. My aplogies if this question
	is already answered. 

	In an Ethernet environment, where delay is not bounded because
	of CSMA/CD in case of half duplex links, or 802.3x in case of full 
	duplex links, does realy make sense to support Guaranteed Service?

|----------------------------------------------------------------|
| Umesh Sirsiwal	       |   Banyan Networks Pvt Ltd/DONLab|
| [email-masked]   |   C. S. Deptt.-IIT-Madras-600036|
|                              |   Call me -+91-44-2351365x3531  |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|	CARE TO GET THE THING YOU LIKE				 |
|		OR YOU WILL BE FORCED TO LIKE WHAT YOU GET       |
|----------------------------------------------------------------|

---

From: "Eric S. Crawley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 08:41:29 -0400

Umesh,

There are certainly problems with bounded delays on Ethernet.  Please take
a look at the work of the ISSLL working group for more information.  The
charter is located at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/issll-charter.html.
 In particular, you might want to look at
draft-ietf-issll-is802-framework-02.txt for some information about Ethernet.

	Eric