Subject: Agenda for Dallas Meeting of INT SERV

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 95 12:09:43 -0800

*************************************************************************

	    INT SERV WG AGENDA FOR DALLAS
    [Consolidated agenda for two meetings on Tuesday]

GENERAL TECHNICAL DISCUSSION (60 minutes)

Overview of significant technical issues -- Scott Shenker (30 minutes)

    Scott will discuss the issues raised in the design notes and how
    they've been addressed in the various specs.  This will include
    the issues of fragmentation, overhead, policing, delay 
    characterizations, and shared reservations.

Peak Rates and Slack Terms - Roch Guerin (15 minutes + 15 minutes discussion)

    In September, Roch and his colleagues proposed two changes to
    guaranteed.  Scott and Craig chose to include one (peak rate) but
    not the other (the slack term).  Roch will talk about both proposals
    and we'll then discuss whether (a) including peak rate was the right
    thing; and (b) whether not including the slack term was the right thing.

REVIEW OF DOCUMENTS (90 minutes)

    Summarize state of each document, and highlight changes since the last
    IETF

Intro -- Craig Partridge (5 minutes)

    We're trying to standardize some of these documents and decide where
    to go next with others.  This 5 minutes is to lay out options -- the
    actual discussion about what to do with each document will be held
    after all the documents have been reviewed.

Flowspec/Adspec document -- TBA (20 minutes)

    This document describes the detailed bit layout of the various
    quantities.  Some of this document was reviewed in Stockholm.

Template -- TBA (10 minutes)

    So far as we know, there is no controversy about the template
    document.  As we put out Proposed Standards, the template will need
    to be issued too.  This is the last review of the template, with an
    eye towards issuing it (as an Informational RFC?).

Guaranteed -- Craig Partridge (10 minutes)

    The guaranteed draft was approved to go to PS at the Stockholm
    meeting, assuming some changes were made.  The changes proved
    a bit more extensive than expected so we'll briefly review
    them here and describe the few remaining known typos.

Controlled Delay/Predictive -- Lee Breslau (10 minutes)

    The predictive and controlled delay drafts are very similar.
    Bruce will review the recent minor changes in the drafts.

Controlled Load -- TBA (10 minutes)

    This is the document circulated on the list this week.

General characterization parameters -- Scott Shenker (10 minutes)

    This is a new document on general parameters that we need to discuss.
    
MIB -- Fred Baker (15 minutes)

    This is a new document.

[At this point, we should be finishing the first session]

HOW TO PROCEED WITH THE DOCUMENTS -- TBA (45 minutes)

  Review paradigm of service definition vs. deployment (i.e., standardizing
  a service does not mandate deployment).  Discuss standards track options.  
  Discuss what to do with each service spec document and the related documents.

WHAT INT SERV SHOULD DO NEXT -- TBA (30 minutes)

    Assuming we push several documents out as standards or informational
    RFCs, we'll have reached a key milestone for INT SERV.  The next question
    is how to reach the following milestones (activities such as heterogeneity,
    defining how to support INT SERV services over ATM, Ethernet, HIPPI, etc).

    Should we do all this as a single INT SERV activity?  should there be
    multiple WGs?  In short, who does what and where (and when)?

DEPLOYMENT ISSUES -- (45 minutes)

    These issues to be discussed as time and interest permits.

Vendor plans - Bruce Davie (40 minutes)

    Opportunity for vendors to describe their current implementation
    status and future plans.  

Guidelines - Dave Clark (20 minutes)

    As we begin deploying these services, do we need to provide guidance
    about what "core" set of services are supported?  What would that mean?
    Where would we say it (router requirements RFC?)?  

Heterogeneity - Lee Breslau (20 minutes)

    This will just be a brief introduction to the topic of heterogeneity
    and possible approaches to addressing the problem.