Subject: I have two questions

From: Sung Jun Hong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 11:23:34 +0900 (KST)

Hi 
I have two question. I am studying RSVP and ISSLL.  I am beginner in ISSLL.
First, is there public Software about ISSLL ? let me know how to get it. 
Second, I'd like to know that ISSLL requires fuctions of packet classifier and
packet sheduler. And, is there any ISSLL public software or paper by using CBQ(Class Based Queueing) that means packet classifier and packet scheduler ?
I am looking forward to your reply.

---

From: "Eric S. Crawley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 15:17:31 -0500

[Not sure why you sent a message on RSVP and ISSLL to the Int-Serv mailing
list, but I'll keep int-serv on this response for the moment.  Please
remove IntServ from any replies]

There are several "sub groups" in ISSLL for working with particular link
layer technologies (ATM, 802/Ethernet networks, etc.).  There is no "public
software about ISSLL".  There are implementations of some of the pieces
used for particular technologies, where appropriate.

To implement IntServ specifications requires some form of classification
and scheduling.  What ISSLL is doing is mapping the IntServ models to
specific media types.  For example, mapping the IntServ models to ATM
Service Categories and QoS parameters.  In the case of ATM, you might rely
on the ATM VCs and related facilities to provide the scheduling and
classification but you would still need to know which packets go down which
VC so that requires some form of classification.

So, implementation of IntServ models requires packet classification and
scheduling but the exact pieces can be media dependent.  Please look at the
IntServ and RSVP RFCs and the ISSLL drafts as well as the related web pages
for more information (sorry, I don't have the URLs handy at the moment) but
they have been mentioned in the past on these lists so you might check the
archives.

	Eric

At 11:23 AM 12/9/97 +0900, Sung Jun Hong wrote:
>packet sheduler. And, is there any ISSLL public software or paper by using
CBQ(Class Based Queueing) that means packet classifier and packet scheduler ?