Subject: deploying reservations.... 7/08/95 21:19:31

From: "Roch Guerin ((914) 784-7038)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 95 14:24:48 EDT

Reference:  Your note of Sat, 8 Jul 1995 21:19:31 -0400

Fully agree with Hiroshi's position.
Actually, this is exactly the model under which we are operating.
In most practical cases, either because of constraints imposed by
the switches and routers or because it turns out to be the most
efficient to handle a certain type of traffic, you probably want to
have the option of choosing between a one-to-one and many-to-one
mapping between IP flows and ATM VCCs.  And what about mapping many
ATM VCCs into one IP flow ;-) ??
Roch
*************** Referenced Note ***************
> Just short comment on Lixia's words.
>
>> I feel there is some issue here that's deeper than just how IP and
>> ATM's QOS can map each other.  Assume ATM can do anything it wants,
>> should IP buy the service in whole sale, or retail mode?
>>
>> For the former, IP just buys one pipe and controls all traffic muxing
>> itself.  For the latter (that ATM community wants to see happen), you
>> buy one VC per flow at a time.
>
>I think, Lixia shows two extreme operation policy.
>One is that all IP flows are aggregatd into one VC with IP level
>scheduling.  The other is that one IP flow is mapped to one VC.
>In the actual operation, some IP flows will have one-to-one mapping
>with ATM-VC, and some IP flows will be aggregatd into one VC.
>Also, one may use only one ATM-VC to transport all IP flows, even
>IP flows in the ATM-VCC require different QOS level.
>Personalily, I think, how to map/aggegate IP flows with/into ATM-VC
> should have variety.

---

From: Lixia Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 21:18:42 PDT

> mapping between IP flows and ATM VCCs.

I understand that some people desire flexibility.

If we forget *all* other issues and consider only from a technical view
point (I know one cannot get away from politics, but just let's assume
for a moment): what would be the most efficient way to utilize the
resource?

> And what about mapping many

Interesting.  You mean, running ATM on top of IP? :-)

Lixia