Subject: diffserv website

From: John Wroclawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 13:45:08 -0500

Hi,
I added Steve Blake's I-D, which he has mentioned here but did not make it
in by the deadline, to http:/diffserv.lcs.mit.edu. I have a couple of
papers in the queue to add as well.

Some folks have found the site to be unreachable on occasion recently. Sad
but true. The problem is caused by another daemon (not the http server)
hanging on our machine, and is low-probability but not yet fixed. If you
find that you can ping the machine but can't reach the webpages, please let
me know by email.

thanks,
-john

---

From: Steven L Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 16:11:09 EST

> papers in the queue to add as well.

Thanks John.  I missed the I-D drafts submission deadline by a mile, and
by some strange sequence of events the draft never made it to the int-serv
list.

The abstract and table of contents are included below.  The draft is
available at:

   http://diffserv.lcs.mit.edu/Drafts/draft-blake-diffserv-marking-00.txt

Comments are appreciated.

/*=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
| Steven L. Blake                 [email-masked] |
| Internetworking Technology         (919)254-2030 (work) |
| IBM Networking Hardware Division   (919)254-5483 (fax)  |
| "You like the 'Net?  You ain't seen nothin' yet!"       |
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=*/

Internet Engineering Task Force                             Steven Blake
INTERNET-DRAFT                                           IBM Corporation 
Expires: June 1998
                                                           December 1997

              Some Issues and Applications of Packet Marking 
                       for Differentiated Services

                   <draft-blake-diffserv-marking-00.txt>

Abstract

   "Packet marking" is proposed as an architectural generalization of
   the type of service (TOS) and precedence facilities of IPv4 [RFC795,
   RFC1349], as well as the traffic class facilities of IPv6 [IPv6].  It
   is intended to encompass all mechanisms by which a host or a router
   may mark a packet to invoke some differentiated packet handling
   behavior by another node along the transit path of the packet.  This
   memo examines several proposed applications of a packet marking
   facility and attempts to categorize each application in terms of the
   behavioral requirements it imposes on hosts and routers.  In
   addition, issues related to the deployment of packet marking,
   including provisioning, authorization, and security, are examined.
   This memo is proposed as a framework to focus discussion on
   implementation issues and mechanisms as new differentiated services
   enabled by a packet marking facility are introduced into the
   Internet.

Table of Contents

1.  Introduction ....................................................  3 

2.  Motivation ......................................................  4

3.  Some Proposed Applications of Packet Marking ....................  6
  3.1  Explicit Priority ............................................  6
    3.1.1  Delay Priority ...........................................  6
    3.1.2  Drop Priority ............................................  7
    3.1.3  Network Control Priority .................................  8
  3.2  Explicit Service Class Indication ............................  8
    3.2.1  Precedence Service Classes ...............................  9
    3.2.2  Transport Isolation ...................................... 10
    3.2.3  Aggregated Integrated Services Classes ................... 10
    3.2.4  Service-based Route Selection ............................ 11
  3.3  Best-Effort Service Allocation ............................... 11
  3.4  Integrated Services Conformant Packet Indication ............. 13
  3.5  Forward Explicit Congestion Notification ..................... 14

4.  Differentiation Mechanism Categorization ........................ 16
  4.1  Host Packet Processing Mechanism Categorization .............. 16
  4.2  Router Packet Processing Mechanism Categorization ............ 17
  4.3  Biased vs. Substitute Best-Effort Router Mechanisms .......... 19
    4.3.1  Transmission Mechanism Categorization .................... 19
    4.3.2  Path Selection Mechanism Categorization .................. 22

5.  Service Categorization .......................................... 22
  5.1  Service Granularity .......................................... 22
  5.2  Service Invocation ........................................... 23
  5.3  Service Behavior ............................................. 24
  5.4  Direction of Value ........................................... 25

6.  Fairness and Congestion Control Considerations .................. 26

7.  Provisioning Considerations ..................................... 27

8.  Authorization Considerations .................................... 29

9.  Routing Considerations .......................................... 30

10. System Implementation Considerations ............................ 31

11. Standardization Considerations .................................. 33

12. Security Considerations ......................................... 34

13. Acknowledgements ................................................ 35

14. References ...................................................... 35

Author's Address .................................................... 39