Subject: Protocol Action: The Use of RSVP with Integrated Services to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 08:39:18 -0400

The IESG has approved of the following the Internet-Drafts as
  Proposed Standards:

 o The Use of RSVP with IETF Integrated Services
	<draft-ietf-intserv-rsvp-use-02.txt>

 o Specification of the Controlled-Load Network Element Service
	<draft-ietf-intserv-ctrl-load-svc-05.txt>

 o Specification of Guaranteed Quality of Service
	<draft-ietf-intserv-guaranteed-svc-08.txt>

 o Integrated Services Management Information Base
	<draft-ietf-intserv-mib-010.txt>

 o Integrated Services Management Information Base
   Guaranteed Service Extensions
	<draft-ietf-intserv-guaranteed-mib-04.txt>

  o General Characterization Parameters for Integrated
    Service Network Elements
	<draft-ietf-intserv-charac-03.txt>

The IESG also approved publication of Network Element Service Specification
Template <draft-ietf-intserv-svc-template-03.txt> as an Informational RFC.

These documents are products of the Integrated Services Working Group
The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Allyn Romanow.

Technical Summary

  These documents are products of the Integrated Services Working Group.
  The IESG contact persons are Scott Bradner and Allyn Romanow.

  These documents define network element behavior needed to support
  two types of quality of service (QoS) functions for use in TCP/IP
  networks.  Elements suppporting these behaviors can be used with
  manual configuration, in conjunction with signaling  protocols such
  as RSVP or with yet to be developed control technologies.
  The documents also define SNMP MIBs for the control and monitoring
  of elements supporting these behaviors, describe how they can be
  used with RSVP and specifies a "template" which service specification
  documents should follow.

  The first description is of the network element behavior required to
  deliver a guaranteed service (guaranteed delay and bandwidth) in the
  Internet.  Guaranteed service provides firm (mathematically provable)
  bounds on end-to-end datagram queueing delays.  This service makes it
  possible to provide a service that guarantees both delay and
  bandwidth.

  The second description is of the network element behavior required to
  deliver Controlled-Load service in the Internet.  Controlled-load
  service provides the client data flow with a quality of service
  closely approximating the QoS that same flow would receive from an
  unloaded network element, but uses capacity (admission) control to
  assure that this level of service is received even when the network
  element is overloaded.

Working Group Summary

 Minor issues were raised during the last call period and corrected in
 the Internet Drafts.

Protocol Quality

 These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner and
 Allison Mankin.