Subject: Re: IP Broadcast

From: Lixia Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 08:37:45 PDT

> > I believe ABR will not use for delay sensitive application 
  > > such as topping on RSVP. 
  > > Meaning RSVP will topping on VBR, instead of on ABR. 
        hiroshi
 
  > i disagree - we will continue to run audio/video on IP on ABRr, just
  > as we do on the mbone today, bevcause on any tariffed ATM net ABR will 
  > be cheaper than VBR - for non- crucial
  > audio/video, we'd be crazxy to do anything different
  >         jon

I do not understand why Jon's statement would make people
uncomfortable, or even object.

The decision of on what service an application may run is that
application's choice.  There should not be any mandate requirement, or
even expectation, like "application type A must/should run on top of
service type B". 

Applications will make this decision, based on the tariff, on
the actual service quality received, on their *own* performance
expectation, and perhaps more importantly, on their capability to
adapt to network conditions.

Lixia

---

From: [email-masked] (Hiroshi Esaki)
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 12:44:29 -0400

> adapt to network conditions.

yes, Lixia's intervation is quiet rationale. 
Meaning application will chose what service category will be 
used for it.  

Thanks, 

Hiroshi Esaki