Subject: Guaranteed Service to Proposed Standard

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 16:23:17 -0700

Dear Allison:

    I am writing to ask the IESG to approve the Internet Draft entitled
"Specification of Guaranteed Quality of Service" by Shenker, Partridge and
Guerin (draft-ietf-intserv-guaranteed-svc-6.txt), as a Proposed Internet
Standard.  This draft was sent to the Secretariat today.

    This draft was approved for Proposed Standard status by the Internet
Services Working Group at the Stockholm IETF after more than a year of study.
Since the Stockholm IETF, the draft has received further review over the
int-serv mailing list, which resulted in a number of minor editorial changes.
A last call for comments was done before the recent IETF on version 5
of the draft.  Draft 6 is based on comments received and work done by
John Wroclawski, Bob Braden, Fred Baker, and JJ Krawczyk to ensure that
the Integrated Services would comfortably co-exist with RSVP.  The changes
are largely minor and often cosmetic.  The only major change is removing
Appendix 1, which was moved to a new document.

    This document defines a service that allows IP elements to guaranteed
that a flow's datagrams will arrive within a guaranteed delivery time and
will not be discarded due to queue overflows, provided the flow's traffic
stays within its specified traffic parameters.  This service is intended
for applications which need a firm guarantee that a datagram will arrive
no later than a certain time after it was transmitted by its source. 

    The guaranteed service specification is part of a larger suite of
documents which are being submitted to the IESG over the next week or so.
In particular, the format of this specification follows the format described
in "Network Element Service Specification Template" (which we propose to make
an informational RFC) and names parameters according to the rules described
in "Specification of General Characterization Parameters" (which is being
nominated for Proposed Standard).  Another document, "The use of RSVP
with IETF Integrated Services" describes how these parameters are to
be used by RSVP.

    If you have any questions about this specification or the working group's
recommendation, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Craig Partridge
Co-Chair, Integrated Services Working Group

E-mail: [email-masked] or [email-masked]