Subject: RE: (IPng 3993) Re: Qry on Traffic Policing (IPv6 header chang es)

From: "Conta, Alex" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:47:48 -0400

> ----------
> From:
> [email-masked][SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 	Wednesday, June 11, 1997 11:48 PM
> To: 	Koskelainen Petri
> Cc: 	[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: 	(IPng 3993) Re: Qry on Traffic Policing (IPv6 header
> changes)
> 
	.... We are long past the point where we can count
> on the sense of community responsibility to ensure that applications
> are well-behaved -- we have to design the system so that acting in
> ones
> own best interest serves, rather than harms, the overall behavior of
> the
> system.
> 
> Steve
> 
Steve,

One could notice for years how the more computer and networking
technology becomes faster, cheaper, and easier available to a larger and
larger number of people, the more the applications that enter the larger
and continuously expending system are less and less "resources aware" or
"system's overall behavior concerned". Of course the system's key
mechanisms improved and improve as well in steps that look rather small,
or not always easy to perceive, but can this general trend be really
changed? I take it you had in mind something that is not there yet, so
what is it, what would you design in the system to make "acting in ones
own best interest serves the overall behavior of the system"? 

Alex

---------------------------------------------
Alex Conta     [email-masked]     Tel: 508/287-9000/ext 2842    Fax:
508/287-2810 
Lucent Technologies, Inc.   300 Baker Ave., Concord, MA 01742

---

From: [email-masked] (Rajesh Talpade)
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:22:57 -0400 (EDT)

> > own best interest serves, rather than harms, the overall behavior of

[...]

> own best interest serves the overall behavior of the system"? 

Effective usage-based pricing ?

Ciao.
Rajesh.

-- 
Rajesh R. Talpade		(404)-315-1227 	     [email-masked]
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/grads/t/Rajesh.Talpade

---

From: Steve Deering <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 16:16:24 -0700

At 9:47 AM -0700 6/12/97, Conta, Alex wrote:
> I take it you had in mind something that is not there yet, so

Alex,

I was actually trying to keep out a feature (the drop-preference bit)
that would make things worse in that regard.

Steve