Subject: Concerns about exported numbers 12/2 1/03/96 14:01:38

From: "Roch Guerin ((914) 784-7038)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 96 19:10:40 EST

Reference:  Your note of Wed, 03 Jan 1996 14:01:38 -0500

>I don't think anyone proposes to build 100msec queues of real time
>traffic.  Elastic traffic yes, for slow circuits we already do.
>Putting RAM in the box for other queueing requirements doesn't mean
>you have to queue up that much real time traffic.

Definitely did not mean this.  Nevertheless, if you have a range of
real-time requirements and size your buffers for the more stringent
ones, then you'll either be terribly inefficient or drop lot's of
packets.  Hence, I'd argue you'll need some reasonably granular
way of identifying the various delay characteristics of the different
service classes.  In addition, when you go through several hops,
the total size of the buffers you may have to go through can quickly
go up.

>Even then, a well grounded expectation
>that delay will be held reasonably low may be sufficient.

I may agree with you, but given the many different interpretations
this allows, I don't think I can really be sure.

>There is certain to be real time applications for which controoled
>load is just fine.  There is certain to be elastic applications for
>which controlled load meets a need.  These two are different and need
>to be handled differently, which controlled load does not accomodate.

I'm getting confused here.  Which service do you refer to?
Guaranteed Service certainly is not meant for elastic applications and
hence does not satisfy their requirements, but I think Controlled Load
should.  In any case, it's clear that many of these issues will only
be settled after we've had some experience with actual implementations
and reasonable scale deployments.

Roch

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 1996 23:53:19 -0500

In message <[email-masked]>, "Roch Guerin ((914) 784-70
> and reasonable scale deployments.

This was about controlled load.  Controlled load needs to be able to
handle elastic and real time and currently has no means to identify
which type of traffic the reservation is for.

Sorry for drifting off topic.

> Roch

Curtis