Subject: Service disciplines for RSVP 7/08/95 7/14/95 1:18:07

From: "Roch Guerin ((914) 784-7038)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 12:56:23 EDT

Reference:  Your note of Fri, 14 Jul 95 1:18:07 JST

>> Jitter is actually tougher to control than delay as it requires
>> that you provide both upper and lower delay bounds.
>
>Relativistic theory tells us that delay control is a lot tougher
>(as tough as often just impossible) than jitter control.
>
>In many intercontinental cases, specifying delay bound is just
>meaningless.
>
>Or, do you have FTL transport?
>

Oooops, forgot to mention that I'm not trying to control what I cannot
change, i.e., propagation delays.  Delay has, however, controllable
components such queueing delays, or do you have bufferless switches?

>> However,
>> variations in network load still impact jitter (and delay) since
>> one packet could see hardly any delay and the next be delayed
>> by the maximum allowable value (bound).
>
>Preallocated time slots makes jitter control trivially easy.

I see, you do have bufferless TDM switches.

Seriously, it is true that a slotted structure has benefits, but it
also implies a certain rigidity which is far from desirable.  This
is one of the motivations for investigating other alternatives.

Roch

---

From: Masataka Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 95 2:25:36 JST

> components such queueing delays, or do you have bufferless switches?

I'm afraid you are now saying that there are upper and lower delay bounds.

							Masataka Ohta