Subject: Service disciplines for RSVP

From: [email-masked] (Maurizio Firmani)
Date: Tue, 30 May 95 09:40:00 +0200

Is there someone who can tell me the most suitable service disciplines for
resource reservation in general, and RSVP in particular.
I've found several different kind of disciplines, such as:

Hierarchical Round Robin
Fair Queueing and his weighted version called General Processor Sharing
Delay EDD
Jitter EDD
Virtual Clock
Stop-and-Go

These are presented in some papers of the Tenet Group where is shown how
they can be divided in two components:

o) a rate controller;

o) a scheduler.

I'd like to know if there is some papers or publication on this argument.
---------------------
Maurizio Firmani
[email-masked] 

----- End Included Message -----

---

From: Lixia Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 10:20:38 PDT

Dear Maurizio,

-> Is there someone who can tell me the most suitable service disciplines for
-> resource reservation in general, and RSVP in particular.
-> I've found several different kind of disciplines, such as:

disciplines?
perhaps more popularly they are called scheduling algorithms

-> Hierarchical Round Robin
-> Fair Queueing and his weighted version called General Processor Sharing
-> Delay EDD
-> Jitter EDD
-> Virtual Clock
-> Stop-and-Go

they all shuffle packets around (some even purposely delay packets) to
achieve certain scheduling goals, and associated with different
complexities in implementation.
Personally I do not think there is a "most suitable discipline" for
everything; you pick one that fits your own needs.

-> These are presented in some papers of the Tenet Group where is shown how
-> they can be divided in two components:
-> 
-> o) a rate controller;
-> 
-> o) a scheduler.

the rate controller part is *not* a common part; it's needed only by
non-work-conserving algorithms.

Lixia