Subject: Re: Conservative Admission Control

From: [email-masked] (Mark W Garrett)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 14:48:17 -0400

>Steve Blake:
 >I also respect the work that is being done in the area of measurement-based
 >admission control.  But I am concerned that some admission control algorithms

 >John W:
 >In any case, I hope we'll have enough experience and measurement-based adm
 >control research in hand to make the situation clearer by the time (if) CL
 >becomes a final standard.

 >Greg:
 >My concern about measurement-based or overadmitting schemes remains,
 >however, in that one can gain experience with a particular traffic mix
 >and then be in an operational environment with new types of traffic.

Can you guys provide some pointers to some actual research results
in this area.  This all seems very vague.  Of course, I suppose I
have produced such results myself (SigComm'94), but I'm wondering
where the state of the art is now and what progress has been made
to cause all the excitement and discussion of measurement based
admission control.  Forgive me if I've missed something obvious...

Btw, the work I refer to took traces of real (and quite erratic)
VBR video measured traffic, and showed how the bw required to
keep the loss rate below some given level decreased with the
number of sources sharing the service.  That is I measured the
experimental stat mux gain (see Fig 15 of the ppr).  Things
converged, it looked pretty good; and there was gain to be had.
And it was based on a very long (2 hour) traffic trace.
However, it was only one type of source, only one movie, and
may not be representative of more than that genre of movies.
I'm hopeful that the methodology developed *could* be extended
to internet traffic in general, but I'd like to see it down on
paper with the ink starting to dry before I'd feel very comfortable
with this stuff.  What's been done since? (...folks dancing
the Markov 2-state need not apply...).

-Mark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
			Bellcore   Rm. 1A-220B			+1 201 829-4439
Mark W. Garrett		445 South St.			[email-masked]
			Morristown NJ 07960-6438  USA	     (FAX 201 829-2504)
                        WWW: ftp://ftp.bellcore.com/pub/mwg/homepage.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: John Wroclawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 18:26:26 -0400

At 2:48 PM -0400 7/8/96, Mark W Garrett wrote:

> > measurement-based adm control research in hand
>
>in this area.

Hi Mark,

From an internet perspective, the paper Sally Floyd just mentioned to the
list, Sally's previous work in this area, and "A Measurement-based
Admission Control Algorithm for Integrated Services Packet Networks"; Jamin
et al. - Transactions on Networking version at
http://netweb.usc.edu/jamin/admctl/ton96.ps.Z (earlier version in Sigcomm
95).  Sugih's PhD proposal
http://netweb.usc.edu/jamin/admctl/quals-excerpts.ps.Z has a large
collection of more general admission control references.

Various ATM folks have also proposed measurement-based admission control
algorithms. Most of 'em seem to end up in IEEE JSAC. There are references
to lots of these in the papers I mentioned above.

-john