Subject: Munich Meeting - differential services

From: John Wroclawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 17:31:26 -0400

Hi,

The intserv WG will hold a meeting in Munich to discuss the topic of
"differential services" or "classes of service" or "non-per-flow QoS
mechanisms". Broadly speaking, these are mechanisms that

 - provide "variable granularity", allocating some level of service to
   anything from a single user session to a customer's VPN to all of
   the packets from a peering provider.

 - may control the quality of service given to packets over part of the
   network (within a single provider, say, or at the interconnection
   boundary between two providers), rather than having only end-to-end
   semantics.

 - use bits in the data packets, rather than separate "resource
   reservations", to indicate a packet's required level of service.

Interest in this class of QoS control is growing rapidly for both technical
and business reasons, and several people have recently proposed mechanisms
to meet this need.

The purpose of the meeting is to talk about:

- technologies different people have developed to do this job
- the relationship of this work to traditional per-flow QoS
- what parts of these technologies require standardization
- what the IETF should do at this time

This meeting is in part a followon to the Differential Services BOF held at
the Memphis IETF. Brian Carpenter, the chair of that BOF, has graciously
agreed to co-chair this discussion as well.

Tentative Agenda

- Presentations by:

	Dave Clark,	"Service Allocation Profiles"
			<draft-clark-diff-svc-alloc-00.txt>

	Van Jacobson,	Van's Scheme (talk title TBD)

	Kalevi Kilkki,	"Simple Integrated Media Access"
			<draft-kalevi-simple-media-access-01.txt>

	Fred Baker,	"Cisco's Class-of-Service Scheme"

- Discussion

The meeting is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon at 1:00PM.

cheers,
-john w.