Subject: just in case

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 20:01:06 -0500 (EST)

Just in case this BOF description was not seen by the int-serv list
I'm posting it again - the BOF will be monday morning at 9:30am
Brian Carpenter will chair teh BOF.

Scott

---
FDDIFS - Future Directions for Differential Services

Goal: establish framework for future IETF work on differential service
classes on IP networks.

IntServ and RSVP describe an end-to-end session-based model for
differential service classes.  Doubts have been expressed about the
scalabilty of this approach for the global Internet as well as doubts about
how well these technologies match what Internet users would like to see as
products from Internet service providers.

Other models of differential service classes exist, with coarser
granularity (per customer, per application class, etc.) and relying on
potentially simpler technology (local bandwidth management, precedence and
TOS bits, WFQ, etc.) 

The BOF will explore the types of differential services are desired in the
Internet and in private intranets and thus what directions IETF work should
take in the area of differential services over IP now that the basic
IntServ & RSVP technologies are complete.