Subject: Draft on RSVP aggregation

From: Roch Guerin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 97 15:45:04 -0500

I had submitted some time before the deadline (at least one day
early), the following draft on aggregation of RSVP flow (abstract is
attached below).

I had also posted it to the mailing lists but I realized it did not go
through as I attached the whole draft to the note (sorry).
In any case, I have checked the IETF ftp site and it is now on it and
it should also be availabel from the differential service webpage
that John setup at http://diffserv.lcs.mit.edu (btw, haven't been able
to access the site recently).

Roch
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Internet Engineering Task Force             R. Guerin/S. Blake/S. Herzog
INTERNET DRAFT                                         IBM/IBM/IPHighway
                                                        21 November 1997

                  Aggregating RSVP-based QoS Requests
                    draft-guerin-aggreg-rsvp-00.txt

Abstract

   This document describes issues and approaches related to aggregation
   of QoS requests, when RSVP [BZB+97] is the protocol used to convey
   such requests.  Aggregation is an important component to provide
   scalable QoS solutions, especially in the core of the backbone
   where the sheer number of flows mandates some form of aggregation.
   However, aggregation needs to be provided without impacting the
   ability to provide end-to-end QoS guarantees to individual flows.
   In this document, we review some of the main goals of aggregation
   and describe possible solutions, that do not preclude support for
   end-to-end QoS guarantees.  Those solutions are targeted at unicast
   flows as we expect them to represent a large fraction of the flows
   requesting reservation, and hence to be the main contributors to
   potential scalability problems with RSVP.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 97 15:00:06 PST

Folks,

In connection with Roch's message, I would like to point out another
document on the same subject.  It seems to have missed the Washington
IETF cutoff (by minutes!), but it is available online at:

	ftp://www.isi.edu/~berson/classy-01.txt

I believe that this paper and the Guerin/Blake/Herzog paper should be
read together, to get a complete picture of the problem and solution
spaces for RSVP aggregation.

Bob Braden