Subject: Another compatibility hurdle: New RSVP usage specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 96 14:45:33 PST

(I previously sent this to the rsvp-test mailing list, but got
no replies.  I think it is a serious real-world issue.

Bob

_______________________________________________________________

Folks,

The Integrated Services Working Group, acting through its agent
John Wroclawski, has recently produced a new version of the RSVP
usage spec.

ftp://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/pub/intserv/drafts/draft-ietf-intserv-rsvp-use-01.txt

Its reasons are entirely laudable, but the fact is that this spec
changes the encoding yet again.  That means that we need to update all
of our implementations to conform.

I know that some people on this list have made considerable investment
in the "previous version", and there are a number of implementations
now.  Therefore, although the changes are probably not more than a few
days work in a particular implementationk, it represents a non-trivial
compatibility issue for us collectively.

What strategy should we use?  Update everthing ASAP?  Set a target
date n months in the future to make a transition?

Bob Braden

---

From: Ping Pan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 19:01:32 -0500

> no replies.  I think it is a serious real-world issue.

John and Bob:

We are changing our implementation to support the new encoding.

Regards,

Ping Pan

---

From: Karl Auerbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 11:34:50 -0800 (PST)

Before we all go and do the change to the newer formats, I'd like to
double check that I have the correct format definition.

I'm looking at "draft-ietf-intserv-rsvp-use-01.txt" which shows the
formats in use, but does not itself contain a definition of the various
intserve message, service, and parameter headers.  The internet draft on
encodings has been expired and removed from view.

So... where should I be looking?

		--karl--