Subject: "Flows" mailing list.

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Wed, 4 May 94 21:07:11 -0400

So, I received a total of 28 replies (including myself) about the
question of whether or not we should have a separate flows mailing list.
The count was: 5 No, 3 Maybe (as in "I don't know if we need this list, but
it you create it add me"), 20 Yes. Since I think that this constitutes
rough consensus, the list has been set up.
	The list itself is "[email-masked]", and there's the usual
"[email-masked]" for *ALL* requests to be added or deleted
(but see below). The kind of things the list should deal with are questions
like:

  - Do we have a single mechanism across all subsystems (routing, resource
    allocation, etc) to name the packets which are part of a flow?
  - If so, what is it?
  - Do we have a single mechanism across all subsystems to install flow state
    in the routers?
  - If so, what is it?
  - How do we do multicast flow setup/maintainence, especially for large
    multi-cast groups?

	All who voted "Yes" or "Maybe" have been added. Everyone on the
Nimrod-WG mailing list has also been added; I did that since the "flow"
subsystem of the Nimrod group of subsystem will probably be mostly discussed
there. If anyone on the Nimrod WG mailing list didn't want on, my apologies in
advance, but I thought that would probably also save having most of you write
in to say "please add me".
	The archives are available for anonymous ftp from research.ftp.com in
the directory pub/flow/Archives/ (note the uppercase A!). The 'current'
archive file is named archive. back archives are available as archive-ddMmmyy
or archive-ddMmmyy.Z. ddMmmyy is the date that the archive file was saved. for
example, if there are two files, archive-01Mar94.Z and archive-03Mar94.Z,
archive-03Mar94.Z will have the traffic from shortly before midnight on
01Mar94 up to shortly before midnight on 03Mar94.

	Thanks to Frank Kastenholz for setting this up, and FTP for hosting.

	Noel