Subject: Routing and incremental deployment of RA

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 94 16:48:49 -0500

From: [email-masked]

    3) In the interim, route unregulated realtime traffic to go only over 
    class-based scheduling routers (Noel).

That wasn't what I said, exactly, but it's an interesting idea. What I said
was the we should try and send traffic which had reserved resources (either
elastic, or fixed) only over routers which can enforce those reservations.
I.e. those applications which have advanced to the "new world order" keep
themselves separate from the mass of unwashed packets/routers.

The idea of keeping unregulated realtime traffic on routers which can
discpline it is of some interest, but how exactly do we tell which traffic
falls in that class?

    Thus, I feel that there is likely to be a period of chaos in the near
    future with predatory TCPs and unregulated point-to-point video
    preferentially getting bandwidth over well-behaved TCPs.

Predatory TCP's may not happen. Point-point video sure will. Perhaps we can
build video applications to use resource allocation, and thus keep them on
paths which can manage them.

	Noel

---

From: [email-masked] (Frank Kastenholz)
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 94 18:52:43 EST

> paths which can manage them.

or perhaps video which adapts its transmission strategy to the
prevailing network conditions. for example, if the receivers only get
half the packets that were sent, then the senders could add delay
between each packet. increasing the inter-poacket delay means
decreasing the load on the network. shares and plays well with
others...  on the theory that a lost packet is a result of
congestion, not a random cosmic ray flipping a bit and causing the
checksum to fail... 

--
Frank Kastenholz    "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy
                     present... As our case is new, so we must think anew, and
                     act anew" - A. Lincoln

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 1994 22:22:39 -0500

At 6:52 PM 11/16/94, Frank Kastenholz wrote:
  >between each packet.

If anyone (e.g. Jon Crowcroft) replied to this I missed it.  Some video
applications already do this, to a point.  There is a point beyond
which increasing the delay between packets does not make the network
any better from the application's perspective.