Subject: Question: When wil TelCo Voice actually go over ATM ?

From: postel (Jon Postel)
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 1994 08:18:23 -0800

Hi.

We've all heard how ATM is great for voice and video circuits.  Does
anybody know when the TelCo's will start sending normal voice calls
over ATM?

--jon.

---

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 94 08:54:06 -0800

Jon:
    
    There was actually a piece in Communications Week (last week?) arguing
the answer to this was no time soon.  As I recall, the conclusion was that
ATM was looking more expensive than current techniques for carrying voice.
However, my recollection is that the conclusion wasn't well justified (i.e.,
it didn't do something like show that ATM's 10% overhead was higher than
that currently used on links), so I'm not sure how much credence to give
the article.

Craig