Subject: Re: Generic Socket QoS stuff and ATM FORUM SAA

From: [email-masked] (Drew Perkins)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 94 21:07:19 EDT

> Hi folks:
> 
>     I have learned this week that ATM Forum has this bizarre rule that
> you can't participate in discussions on their mailing lists unless you
> are an ATM Forum member.  While this is obviously busted from the perspective
> of getting useful technical input into the Forum, I gather they got legal
> advice they have to do this.
> 
>     So, henceforth, kindly remove the af-saa mailing list from discussions
> of socket interfaces, QoS standards, et al.  I'll try to find some method
> for communicating with the Forum (smoke signals? :-)) when we decide what the
> right thing is.
> 
> Craig

Craig,

There are many ways to communicate with the ATM Forum.

1.  There is a membership class in the ATM Forum for users.
	$1500 and buys you membership in an ATM Forum committee called
	the Enterprise Network Roundtable.  The ENR has three working
	groups, one of which is the User Technical Requirements which is
	run by Dave Beering, Amoco, [email-masked].  The ENR
	feeds information into the Forum.

2.  You can ask any Forum member to relay information to the Technical
	Committee.

3.  As the ATM Forum's IETF Liason, I'd be very happy to relay information,
	questions, advice, comments, complaints, or just about anything else
	from the IETF to the ATM Forum.

4.  There is a possibility that the ISOC could join the ATM Forum as a
	principle member.

5.  The ATM Forum is investigating the possibility of allowing anyone
	to send mail to ATM Forum mailing lists.

6.  Jim Harford, the chairman of the API working group, would also be
	happy to relay information.

Drew
-----------------------------------------------------------------
FORE Systems, Inc.			Tel: (412) 772-6527
174 Thorn Hill Road			Fax: (412) 772-6500
Warrendale, PA 15086-7535		Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 94 20:47:19 -0700

Drew:
    
    I'm actually apparently a member of the forum, since BBN is.

    However that's not the problem.  I've been notified that I can't include
ATM Forum mailing lists in general discussions that include other mailing
lists -- in other words, that we can't have a free technical discussion
that mixes Forum mailing lists and non-Forum lists.

    Since there are several non-Forum lists which have people on them who
care about sockets, and the Forum is the only group that isn't able to
conduct free and open technical exchanges, the obvious answer is to segregate
the Forum and find some (less useful) way to convey information in.

Craig