Subject: Bandwidth Brokers

From: Octavio Medina <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:31:34 +0100

I'm having some problems understanding how the Bandwidth Brokers defined
in draft-nichols-diff-svc-arch-00 are going to work.

In the examples, when a new Premium connection is to be established, 
the domain BB asks the next domain BB in order to "reserve" 
a fraction of the negotiated bandwidth. The text says:

"...In Figure 7, V wants to transmit a flow from LBL to D at MIT at 10
Kbps. 
As in figure 6, a request for this profile is made of LBL’s BB. LBL’s BB 
authenticates the request and checks to see if there is 10kbps left in its 
Marked allocation going in that direction."
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My question is: How does the BB know the path of the flow? More exactly, 
how does he know which will be the next domain crossed by the flow?

How much routing information will be required in BBs to make them work?

-Octavio Medina
 ENST Bretagne, France.

---

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 09:13:23 +1100

>how does he know which will be the next domain crossed by the flow?

This is my problem as well, in so far as I do not undertand how, in a large
and complex topology the ingress BB will understand the requested
reservation in terms of allocating a specific sequence of resources
from the BB-scoped network.

Or is this intended for deployment in the limited scale environments
where RSVP can be deployed?

Geoff

-- 
Mailto: [email-masked]          Technology Manager , Telstra Internet
Phone: +61 2 6208 1908
PGP public key: http://www.pgp.com/keyserver/pks-lookup.cgi

See you at INET'98, Geneva 21-24,July 98 http://www.isoc.org/inet98/