Subject: Middleware Workshop: Last Call for Papers

From: Wei Zhao <[email-masked]> (by way of Wei Zhao <[email-masked]>)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:58:32 -0500

===========================================================================
==

****  C A L L   F O R   P A P E R S   A N D   P A R T I C I P A T I O N  
****

===========================================================================
==

                          IEEE Workshop on 

      Middleware for Distributed Real-Time Systems and Services
    
                          December 2, 1997
                     San Francisco, California

 Held in conjunction with the 18th IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium 
(RTSS97)
===========================================================================
==

  As the field of distributed real-time systems matures, established
  software architectures and frameworks begin to replace ad-hoc
  approaches for programming such systems.  On the other hand, users
  start expressing the wish for standardization of programming
  environments, possibly by extending existing standards, such as CORBA,
  DCE, TINA, and many others.  Initial standardization efforts are under
  way, as for example in the OMG Real-Time CORBA Special Interest
  Group. In addition, attempts are being made by the telecommunication
  community to extend environments for real-time service creation in
  communication systems from the communication layer to the
  end-hosts.

  This workshop will give opportunity to researchers, developers, and
  practitioners working in related areas to exchange experience on the
  design and implementation of middleware for distributed real-time
  services, and to discuss issues on requirements and specifications for
  programming and engineering frameworks for development of such
  systems.  The workshop is targeted to be a forum for free flow of
  ideas.  Particularly welcome would be reports on experimental work,
  experience with current standards and position papers addressing
  current and future standardization efforts.  Topics of submissions
  include but are not limited to:

      * experimental frameworks
      * experimental systems for the deployment of real-time services 
      * real-time CORBA and friends
      * real-time distributed object technology
      * extending end-to-end guarantees beyond the network-host boundary
      * design of off-the-shelf real-time software components
      * open architectures for QoS control
      * generic control, management and service APIs
      * validable middleware
      * frameworks for secure real-time systems
      * middleware support for real-time Java

  Authors are invited to submit regular papers, reports on work in
  progress, position papers, as well as proposals for panel discussions.
  Regular paper submissions should be limited to 16 pages (12 pages for
  reports and position papers,), double spaced, including figures. The
  title page should include a maximum 150-word abstract, five keywords,
  full mailing address, e-mail address, phone number, fax number, and a
  designated contact author.  An electronic version (postscript file)
  the manuscript should be submitted by Oct 10, 1997 to the program
  chair at the following address: 

       Professor Riccardo Bettati
       Department of Computer Science
       H.R. Bright Building
       Texas A&M University
       College Station, TX 77843-3112
       tel: +1 (409) 845-5469
       fax: +1 (409) 847-8578
       e-mail: [email-masked]

Important Dates:
----------------

      Paper submission deadline:	Oct 15, 1997
      Notification of acceptance:	Oct 31, 1997
      Camera ready paper due:		Nov 14, 1997

General Information:
--------------------

  For more information about the workshop, send email to 

        [email-masked] 

  or visit our home page at
 
        http://www.cs.tamu.edu/research/realtime/wmdrtss97.html

  This workshop will be held in conjunction with the  18th IEEE
  Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS-18) in San Francisco, which will
  be held Dec. 3-5, 1997.  For information about RTSS'97, see its WWW
  page at 

        http://cs-www.bu.edu/pub/ieee-rts/rtss97.

Organization:
-------------

General Chair:       
    Wei Zhao, Texas A&M University, USA
Program Chair:       
    Riccardo Bettati, Texas A&M University, USA

Program Committee:   
    Andrew Campbell, Columbia University, USA
    Samuel Chanson, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, HONG 
KONG
    Victor Fay-Wolfe, University of Rhode Island, USA
    Hermann Haertig, Technical University Dresden, GERMANY
    Chao-Ju Jennifer Hou, Ohio State University, USA
    Jim Huang, Honeywall Technology Center, USA
    Farnam Jahanian, University of Michigan, USA
    Rakesh Jha, Honeywell Technology Center, USA
    Jane W.-S. Liu, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
    Louise Moser, University of California, Santa Barbara, USA
    Joseph Ng, Hong Kong Baptist University, HONG KONG
    Kurt Rothermel, Stuttgart University, GERMANY
    Douglas C. Schmidt, Washington University, USA
    Kang Shin, University of Michigan, USA
    Chenzeng Sun, Nathan Campus Griffith University, AUSTRALIA
    HongWen Zhu, JiaoTong University, Shanghai, PRC

===========================================================================
==