Subject: proposed letter to 802.1

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 94 11:42:18 -0700

Hi folks:

    Your WG chairs have been musing how to respond to the 802.1 request for
input on Multimedia LAN requirements, and are planning to send the following
letter along with a copy of the Braden, Shenker, Clark overview document.

    Please let me know if you have any concerns about the note -- we plan
to send it on Tuesday.

Thanks!

Craig

*****************************************************************************

Dear 802.1 Multimedia Taskforce:

We understand that you are soliciting input on the requirements that
multimedia traffic places upon LANs.

The Internet Engineering Task Force has recently chartered an Integrated
Services working group to look at similar issues for the internetworking
environment.  The working group is chartered to develop an enhanced
networking architecture for the Internet Protocol suite.  And as the
chairs of the working group, we thought it would be useful for your task
force to be aware of our work.  In some sense, our protocols will be the
consumers of any multimedia enhancements you devise for 802 networks, and
we hope that this letter is the start of a series of interactions
interacting between our working group and yours.  (You should all feel
free to participate in our working group mailing list. To join, write
to [email-masked]).

We have attached a memo entitled ``Integrated Services in the Internet
Architecture: an Overview'' by Braden, Clark and Shenker which is serving
as an initial blueprint for our work.  While the final architecture we
propose may diverge from this blueprint, it at least gives you a sense of
the direction we are headed.  We believe this architecture is quite flexible
and we would be interested in working with you to use it to develop multimedia
interfaces to 802 networks.

Sincerely,

Craig Partridge, BBN
Dave Clark, MIT
Scott Shenker, XEROX
John Wroclawski, MIT
Co-chairs, IETF Integrated Services Working Group