Subject: 1st DigiPhotos from North Pole

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 17:21:09 -0400

Greetings!

The following excerpt comes from our explorers at the north pole.  We
provided them internet access via a LEO (Low Earth Orbiting) micro satellite,
and they have just sent the first ever digital photographs from the north
pole to the Web Server at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

Http://WWW.cbc.ca

We even have a POEM for you from the far north!

We can now safely say that every inch of the globe can be serviced by the
internet.  (polar orbiting satellites fly in longitudinal increments pole the
pole effectively covering the entire planet).

The next step in this project is to send digital voice and video over the
links.  Anybody got any ideas on how we might tackle that one? I'd be
interested in hearing from you!

Contact:

STeve Cooper
Systems Engineering Society
[email-masked]
(508) 420-3100

---------------
Subj:	Fwd: Success!   Message 006 IAP
Date:	95-04-30 16:38:37 EDT
From:	Arcproject
To:	SESociety

From      : ART1
To        : SQB2
Title     : Message
Keywords  : Message
Uploader  : ART1  
Uploaded  : Sun Apr 30 02:08:55 1995  ________
Message from Gordon

Hallelujah!  Just as I was about to put my fist through Charlie's screen for
its failure to download, we sat through one more satellite pass & 5 
messages downloaded successfully.  We received 2 E-mail for John; Barb's 
note from Resolute; a letter to me from SpaceQuest, Mark & Dino; and 002 
from Barb.  All of a sudden, "read messages" worked.  The next to last pass, 
we knew that the satellite sent us something, but we couldn't read it.  No 
matter how I tried to look at the files that came in, they were computer 
gibberish.  Now I realize it must have been program files.  Next pass we 
uplinked and 5 files immediately downloaded.  We're all very excited.   
We are also thrilled to hear that our photo transmission worked.  
Will says that this is part of his dream coming true, and actually danced 
with Rex, singing "Charlie 5! Charlie 5!"  This really is a historic moment, 
and I took pictures of Victor & Takako's elation.

Just in case the computer crashes or the batteries die, we realize we need 
the following next resupply:  extra batteries for Charlie.  Also backup 
antennas.  Although these are working, they look fragile and may break. 
Victor thinks that the cable should be disconnectable from the antenna so 
the linkage doesn't snap.  Also, longer cables (1 meter longer) would be 
helpful.  We also need a sturdy case to hold the antennas -- maybe a 
length of thin-walled 3 or 4 inch diameter PVC pipe with screw cap ends 
(like a fly rod case).  The cardboard tubes we have now are already 
disintegrating.

Because the satellite is just about to come around again, this is all I can 
write right now.  We will answer everyones questions tomorrow evening. 
For now we just want to let Barb, John and Mark -- and everyone else -- 
know that we are "on line" in the Arctic.  The whole team sends their best! 

A Poem from Victor:

Everywhere you are -- in the kitchen or bed --
In the school, or just walking around,
Please, switch on your computer and join "Internet" --
Satellite's overhead, satellite's overhead
And the message is leaving the ground.

But the ground here looks like completely nightmare --
Pressure ridges, deep snow, open water,
bitter cold, heavy blizzard, but nice.  Polar star.
We didn't see polar bear, and are happy so far.
From all birds we saw only "Twin Otter."

Who are we?  Who is pulling the sled?
Thirty dogs carrying heaviest load --
Someone named "International Arctic Project"
Someone who will be never afraid of
Big Bad Wolf or black cat, crossing road.

Why we are on the ice?  Why we're doing all that?
Magic question for all generations.
We would like to unite over the Internet
With the small satellite, which just passed overhead
All the people from different nations.