Subject: Re: Conservative Admission Control

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 96 10:53:24 PDT

John -
I have a draft note on measurement-based admissions control procedures
for Controlled Load service, called "Comments on Measurement-based
Admissions Control for Controlled-Load Services", available at:
  ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/admit.ps.Z

It does not pretend to be a thorough investigation of measurement-based
admissions controls, but is more a collection of observations.  The
abstract is below.  One assumption of mine, stated in the paper, is
that Controlled Load service will generally be deployed in an
environment where a large fraction of the traffic will continue to be
best-effort (e.g., most WWW traffic).  This considerably relaxes the
requirements on the admissions control procedures.

Feedback is always welcome.
- Sally

Abstract:
This paper considers measurement-based admissions control procedures
for Controlled-Load services \cite{W96:load}.  First, we discuss some
of the factors that reduce the requirements on a measurement-based
admissions control procedure in an Internet environment with a strong
mix of realtime and data traffic.  Next, we discuss measurement-based
admissions control procedures for Controlled-Load services that are
based on the approach of equivalent capacity.  Finally, we show some
measurements of audio traffic for small audioconferences, and discuss
why such traffic could be among the most problematic for
measurement-based admissions control procedures.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:02:03 -0700

Hi,

Scott Shenker and I are working on a paper comparing several
measurement-based admission control algorithms for controlled-load.
An early draft can be had from:
http://netweb.usc.edu/jamin/admctl/compare.ps.gz
Please do not cite it for now.
Any feedback is welcome.

Both Sally's paper recently announced and our paper
http://netweb.usc.edu/jamin/admctl/ton96.ps.Z 
provide a more comprehensive background on measurement-based
admission control algorithms.

>http://netweb.usc.edu/jamin/admctl/quals-excerpts.ps.Z has a large
>collection of more general admission control references.

I would wait a while and get the thesis itself though.
In particular, the quals proposal does not reference any
measurement-based algorithm because I was not aware of 
any at that time.  The thesis references a handful that 
came out, or was mentioned to me, after my quals.

-- 
sugih

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark W Garrett)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 13:38:50 -0400

John, Sally, Sugih,
OK, thanks for the pointers!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:59:23 -0700

Hi,

Pardon the wide distribution.

> came out, or was mentioned to me, after my quals.

My dissertation is now available as:
http://netweb.usc.edu/jamin/admctl/dissertation.ps.gz
for those interested.

--
sugih

---

From: Sugih Jamin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 19:11:55 -0500

> Date:  Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:02:03 -0700
> From:  [email-masked]
> To:  [email-masked]
> Subject:  Re: Conservative Admission Control
>
> compare.ps.gz

For those interested, an updated version that is to appear 
in INFOCOM '97 is now available as:
http://netweb.usc.edu/jamin/admctl/info97.ps.gz

--
sugih