Subject: Re: New draft of controlled-load service spec

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 17:24:45 -0800

*> Preferred. If you want to design a setup protocol that represents
  *> these parameters as ASCII strings for easy debugging, who am I to stop
  *> you?
  *> 

John,

If you want to send TCP sequence numbers as ASCII strings for easy
debugging, who am I to stop you?

Bob

---

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 95 09:11:44 -0800

Bob:
    
    I think you missed JTW's point -- TCP is a *protocol*.  Controlled load
is a *service specification* that can be implemented via a number of
protocols, including RSVP.

    A protocol spec must define a representation.  The current thinking is
a service spec should not.  I'm happy to revisit this idea (it is clearly
beginning to cause people some grief).   However, keep in mind that since
RSVP is not the only user of the service, the data structures won't
necessarily be optimized for RSVP.

Craig