Subject: new document, changes, and last call

From: John Wroclawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 19:01:01 -0400

Hi.

You're surely wondering about what's happening with int-serv, RSVP, and the
"coordinated last-call" we discussed at the Montreal IETF. So, by way of
introducing a small flood of documents we're about to post, here's an
update.

In Montreal, the area director and the WG chairs agreed to submit the
intserv and RSVP documents together to the IESG. When we got down to it, we
ran into a Rough Edge, which has caused some concern. While both the
int-serv core service specifications and RSVP seem to be in good shape,
there were, as Bob Braden put it, some nagging uncertainties about how they
fitted together.

You may recall that the original idea was to provide the RSVP hooks for
each intserv service as an appendix to the service document, with just a
general set of rules for gluing things together written down elsewhere.
That had the great virtue that no other documents needed to change if and
when a new service appeared, and the great drawback that it just flat-out
didn't work - the specs weren't giving people enough detail and clarity to
implement the stuff.

So, a new approach. No more RSVP details in the service specs. To replace
them and get everything in one place, I've written a new note, which I'm
about to post to the list and internet-drafts. It's called "The use of RSVP
with IETF Integrated Services", and what it's supposed to do is (surprise)
explain how to use the intserv services and RSVP together. I should say
that this note is not trying to break new ground, but rather to document
ideas and methods which have already been discussed in intserv and RSVP WG
meetings. Nonetheless, between the fact of getting some details on paper
for the first time and lack of clarity in our previous approach, there may
be some things in here that seem new to you :-). Comments are welcome and
appreciated, of course.

Bob Braden, Fred Baker, and JJ Krawczyk have taken the time to comment on
this note in some detail, for which I thank them very much. We all hope
that it will make it easier for people to get working, interoperable
implementations out the door quickly!

Together with this new note we have new versions of the intserv service
specs and related documents. There have been very few technical changes.
The changes that were made are in response to comments from Montreal or
issues raised by writing the rsvp-use document. The major ones are:

- Changing controlled-load to use a TSpec which contains a peak rate term.
This  allows us to use a common TSpec format for guaranteed and
controlled-load, and is also quite helpful to the folks doing advanced
admission control algorithms.

- Addition of the missing TSpec sum() and min() functions from guaranteed
service, and correction of a bug in the min() function in controlled-load.
Also, thinking about this revealed a limitation in the use of guaranteed
service with shared reservation styles, which is now documented.

- Some expansion and clarification of the general characterization
parameter definitions, to address comments from Montreal.

- Some minor changes in the RSVP spec, to synchronize with the things
mentioned above. Bob will describe these in a separate note to the RSVP
group.

All of this material should make it to the mailing lists in the next hours,
and will also be available as new internet-drafts in the immediate future.
We would like to pass it on to the AD for last call in a week thereabouts.

cheers,
John

---

From: "Ping P. Pan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 13:11:02 -0400

Hi, John:
In your new draft "The use of RSVP with IETF Integrated Services", you have
used parameter definitions that are coming from "General Characterization
Parameters for IntServ Network Elements, version 02". The date on that draft
is July 1996, but I could not find it anywhere.
Would you please tell me where to find it? Also several other referencing
drafts (from July 1996) could not be found either.

Thanks alot!

Ping Pan

---

From: John Wroclawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:12:27 -0400

At 1:11 PM -0400 8/14/96, Ping P.  Pan wrote:
>Parameters for IntServ Network Elements, version 02".

Ping,
This is a new version of that note. It's been posted to internet-drafts,
but has not appeared yet. I'll also put it on our FTP server later today
and send a note to the list.

Sorry I can't point you to a place to get it this instant..

-john