Subject: INT SERV documents becoming standards

From: Craig Partridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 95 10:36:05 -0700

To the IETF community:

On behalf of the INT SERV WG I wanted to let you all know that
the INT SERV meetings in Stockholm will be considering recommending that
three documents become Proposed Standards.  Briefly, the goal of these
documents are to extend the Internet Service Model to support services
other than best effort delivery (e.g., services that can manage delays
to meet the needs of real-time applications).

The three documents are:

    1. A service template, defining how to specify the behavior of a
    service element  (documents 2 and 3 follow this template)
	(draft-ietf-intserv-svc-template-01.txt)

    2. A specification for an internet service which guarantees a maximum
    delay with no losses due to queueing.
    (draft-ietf-intserv-guaranteed-svc-01.txt)

    3. A specification for an internet service which manages (but does not
    guarantee) delays.  (draft-ietf-intserv-control-del-svc-01.txt)

They will be discussed at the Thursday morning meeting of the INT SERV
WG (and, if discussion spills over, into the Thursday afternoon meeting
as well).  For each document, there will be a walk-through of the document
and a discussion of how various issues have been resolved.  We may also
have impromptu presentations by vendors and researchers who have been
implementing the services.

Anyone interested in these extensions to the IP service model (which apply to
IPv6 and as well as IPv4, in that we expect that IPv6 flows will use these
services) is encouraged to read the documents and either attend the WG
meeting or send comments to the INT SERV WG ([email-masked]).

Thanks!

Craig
co-chair, INT SERV WG