Subject: Service disciplines for RSVP 7/08/95 10:20:38

From: "Roch Guerin ((914) 784-7038)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 95 19:09:22 EDT

Reference:  Your note of Sat, 8 Jul 1995 10:20:38 PDT

>> These are presented in some papers of the Tenet Group where is shown how
>> they can be divided in two components:
>>
>> o) a rate controller;
>>
>> o) a scheduler.
>
>the rate controller part is *not* a common part; it's needed only by
>non-work-conserving algorithms.
>
>Lixia

Lixia,

just a minor correction to point out
that a rate controller part is not necessarily
needed only by non-work-conserving service disciplines.  In the last
section of the technical report (RC 20064 - retrievable at
URL http://www.watson.ibm.com:8080) which I mentioned in a previous
note, you'll see a work-conserving version of a rate-controlled
service discipline which uses a rate controller element.

Roch

---

From: Lixia Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 21:35:45 PDT

> service discipline which uses a rate controller element.

would love to read your paper, unfortunately I have to wait for a week
since I'm leaving town tomorrow.

I wonder if my understanding of "rate-controller" is somewhat
different from yours--to strictly limit the rate to be within a
specific value, isnt it necessary that the system has to be non-work
conserving?

Lixia