Subject: PBE vs. controlled load with b=0

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 10:55:10 +0200

curtis sent me some messages that have been flowing on this list
regarding the problems with the controlled load service.  it appears
that curtis has seen the same problems as i with the controlled load
service and has proposed to use b=0 to indicate another elastic bahavior
that that is similar, but not necessarily the same, as the PBE service.

my comment to this discussion is that i don't like the idea of
overloading the controlled load spec with all kinds of options.  the
service is already hard to understand and describe.  let it serve
whatever purpose it has been designed for and let's define a simple,
easily understandable service spesification for elastic best effort
traffic.

the PBE service promises to the user a fair share of the available best
effort bandwidth or at least so-and-so many Kbps whichever is larger.
this kind of basic service should not be a special case (= hack) of
another service that according to its end-to-end behaviour description
has been defined for a totally different purpose.  so i still stand
behind the PBE proposal and would like to get a slot in la to discuss
it.

-- juha

ps. i still haven't been able to get to the list.