Subject: [100attendees] Mold/mould

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 00:26:54 -0600

I'm just curious if anyone else is having problems with mold here.  I was
over at the Hilton but they could not find me a room that was not moldy
(I've been sleeping on the balcony for 3 days).  So, I booked at the
Swissotel and was trying to move there today.   I've seen 3 rooms there and
they all have issues. One had mold on the wallpaper and the padded wall.
Another had a chunk of moldy drywall under the sink and then another had an
area that looked like it could have had water intrusion and you could see
that someone had vaccuumed or scraped something off the padded wall.  I am
very sensitive to mold but statistically 25% of the population has a
predisposition to become ill upon exposure to mold.  Symptoms can be really
non-specific and with jet lag folks might not be able to separate some
brain fog/fuzziness to jet lag and respiratory issues to catching a travel
cold or allergies.   It's kindof too bad that meeting venue is about done
as I think this is an important consideration.  I would actually like those
that select venues to do inexpensive mold tests - you can do one test for
around $150.

I'm going to check out another room at Swissotel and if that doesn't work
see if Fairmont has availability and then the Conrad.

If there's anyone that thinks they have a pristine hotel room somewhere
else, please let me know.  I really don't want to pay for another hotel
room and sleep on the balcony although that's a nice backup at the
Swissotel.

I will also note that some of the meeting rooms have issues.  I'm having to
wear an N95 mask in Orchard - one only has to look at the ceiling to see
the reason.

Regards,
Mary.

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 01:32:36 -0600

Thanks to folks that sent me feedback.  I am now sitting in one of the
newly refurbished rooms in the Swissotel. The lady has probably never seen
someone so happy to be shown to their room - I almost cried ;)   The room
is great, as they made wise choices in materials - wood floors with a small
carpeted area and then a kindof wood paneling on the walls.

So, second time today I've been happy - 1st in STIR and now in a hotel room
where I can sleep in a real bed for the first time in 4 days :)

Mary

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 12:26 AM, Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> I will also note that some of the meeting rooms have issues.  I'm having
> to wear an N95 mask in Orchard - one only has to look at the ceiling to see
> the reason.
>
> Regards,
> Mary.
>