Subject: [6lowpan] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-6lowpan-problem-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:50:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 over Low power WPAN Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: 6LoWPAN: Overview, Assumptions, Problem
                          Statement and Goals
	Author(s)	: N. Kushalnagar, G. Montenegro
	Filename	: draft-ietf-6lowpan-problem-01.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2005-10-26
	
This document describes the assumptions, problem statement and goals
   for transmitting IP over IEEE 802.15.4 networks.  The set of goals
   enumerated in this document form an initial set only.  Additional
   goals may be found necessary over time and may be added to this
   document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6lowpan-problem-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-6lowpan-problem-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-6lowpan-problem-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: Soohong Daniel Park <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:16:43 +0900

Nandu, thanks your good job and here is my smalls nits though.

Typo:

In Abstract
s/problem/problems

In Security Considerations
s/6LoWPAN/LoWPAN (Throughout the draft, LoWPAN terminology is in use except here, so LoWPAN would be fine)
s/prevelant/prevalent
s/compramise/compromise

Comment:

In Security Considerations, you are refering to AES for 802.15.4 secured mode amongst three security modes (unsecured, ACL and secured). To understand AES easily, please add a new reference into the References Section as follows;

[AES]    National Institute of Standards and Technology. FIPS Pub
             197: Advanced Encryption Standard (AES). 26 November 2001.

Discussion:

>7. Security Considerations.
>
>IEEE 802.15.4 provides AES link layer security.  As 6LoWPAN imposes
>unique set of challenges that are not prevelant in classical
>etworks, security threats across various layers should first be
>understood before choosing any security protocol.  

>Furthermore, these
>devices may not have any front end to do configuration and
>management.  As such protocols must be chosen to have very little
>configuration and management, but still not compramise on either
>connectivity nor security.

It seems not clear for me. As you pointed out, the sentences above should be further study before addressing anything. So, I am suggesting not to add these text at this stage...

Regards,

Daniel (Soohong Daniel Park)
Mobile Platform Laboratory, SAMSUNG Electronics.