Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Proposal for alternative 6lowpan header encoding

From: gabriel montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 19:16:13 -0800 (PST)

By the way, 

In order to get an idea of what the format document would look like if we decided to go
ahead with its adoption, the Jonathan and David have produced a tentative version of the 
document. Since this might help folks better evaluate the proposal, you can get it here:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/gabriel_montenegro_2000/lst?&.dir=/lowpan&.src=bc&.view=l

BTW, this version is built on version 06 (with changes based on Geoff's review), submitted yesterday, and also available at the above URL (until it gets
officially published).

-gabriel

----- Original Message ----
From: Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]>
To: 6lowpan <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, November 3, 2006 3:49:02 PM
Subject: [6lowpan] Proposal for alternative 6lowpan header encoding

Folks,
  Arch Rock have submitted a proposal for a different 6lowpan header
encoding.  David and Jonathan put together a set a slides to describe
their idea to simplify the 6lowpan adaptation header.  They are working
on a complete proposal.

I have posted the slides to the wiki at:

http://6lowpan.tzi.org/FrontPage?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=6lowpan-header-proposal.ppt

You can also get a copy (if you are wiki challenged) at:
http://www.mulligan.com/6lowpan/6lowpan-header-proposal.ppt

Their design seems to follow the ideas of IPv6, reduce the header size
in almost all cases, allow for extensions, byte align the fields and as
I've thought about coding it, it looks like less complex parsing.

While a proposal such as this (ideas tend to come on their own schedule)
at this late stage in our process will be disruptive, the potential
value of simplifying and fixing some of the identified problems in the
current design is, in my opinion, worth the time and effort and risk to
our already blown schedule to evaluate and discuss within the group.

Please take a look at the slides.  We only a have few days before the
meeting on Wednesday and if possible I would like to hear peoples
thoughts.  I have asked Jonathan and David to attend the WG meeting and
to prepare a more in-depth presentation related to this new design.

        geoff

_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: "Schumacher Christian Peter Pii" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 08:32:27 +0100

Hi Gabriel.
I'm having difficulty accessing the document at:
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/gabriel_montenegro_2000/lst?&.dir=/lowpan&.src=bc&.view=l

With Firefox I get a blank page.
With Internet Explorer, it says "This folder is currently empty"

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
-Christian

-----Original Message-----
From: gabriel montenegro [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wed 11/8/2006 4:16 AM
To: Geoff Mulligan; 6lowpan
Subject: Re: [6lowpan] Proposal for alternative 6lowpan header encoding
 
By the way, 

-gabriel

----- Original Message ----
From: Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]>
To: 6lowpan <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, November 3, 2006 3:49:02 PM
Subject: [6lowpan] Proposal for alternative 6lowpan header encoding

Folks,

        geoff