Subject: [6lowpan] Soliciting input on Interop draft

From: "David Culler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:41:42 -0700

Folks,
  We'd like to get feedback on I- D

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hui-6lowpan-interop-00.txt

submitted July 6.  This provides thoughts on the first phases of
interoperability testing.  The scheme developed there would generalize to
cover the rest of the 6LoWPAN.

Thanks,

     Jonathan, Zack, and David
_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: "Timothy J. Salo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 19:19:37 -0500

David Culler wrote:
> <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hui-6lowpan-interop-00.txt>
> 
> interoperability testing.  The scheme developed there would generalize 
> to cover the rest of the 6LoWPAN.

Should the document, perhaps, refer to "interoperability
test requirements", rather than "interoperability requirements"?

Is the intent of this document to describe interoperability [test]
requirements that cover all of the 6lowpan format document?  (I
strongly hope so.)  More than the 6lowpan format document?  I strongly
prefer a smaller number of interoperability [test] requirement
documents, rather than a larger number.

Will there be a document that identifies, with more or less detail,
test cases?  Or, will this document serve this purpose?  Or, do we
expect that individual test cases can be trivially derived from this
document?

I believe that it would be very valuable to include a chart that
lists all of the functionality specified in the 6lowpan format
document.  This chart should identify which interoperability [test]
requirements are applicable to which format document functionality.
This chart, while tedious to produce, will help those who review this
document, those who conduct the tests, and those who review the test
results to have confidence in the test coverage covered by the
interoperability tests (test cases) specified in the document.
(I believe that the tedium of creating this chart should be experienced
by the authors of the document, rather than by the reviewers and readers
of the document.  Sorry about that guys.  Well, sort of...)

I believe that this document should:

o Cover all of the functionality specified in the format document.

o Include tests between a 6lowpan device and an IPv6 host; in fact
   perhaps _all_ tests should be conducted both between two 6lowpan
   devices and between a 6lowpan device and an IPv6 host.

o Include tests between a 6lowpan device and an IPv4 host.

-tjs