Subject: [6lowpan] working group drafts and agenda for next IETF

From: Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:55:37 -0700

Folks,
  Even though we do not have an approved recharter text we have a WG
meeting slot at the next IETF and we need to set the agenda.

>From the last IETF meeting I think that we reached consensus on the work
items for the group:

1. Bootstrapping / Neighbor Discovery
2. Stateful Header Compression
3. Architecture
4. Applications
5. Security Analysis

We decided that we would hold off on Mesh Under (Layer 2 routing) at
this time until the path becomes more clear with respect to the RL2N
proposal.

This group has generated a number of I-Ds, though many are now expired.
Some of the active and expired I-Ds seem closely related to the work
items above.

I have included in this message a list of both the Active and Expired
I-Ds that have been submitted and their abstracts so that you don't have
to search for the I-D information.

Taking into account the above work items, if any of the authors are
interested in presenting their drafts at this next IETF, please let
Carsten or I know soon.

I do hope that we will dust off the ND and security analysis drafts.

If anyone else is planning on submitting a draft, please let us know
soon and also get it submitted - the deadline is the 12th.

	geoff

============== Active Drafts ===============
--- draft-daniel-6lowpan-commissioning-00
The commisioning process defines the startup procedure taken by the
6LoWPAN device. This document defines the startup procedure that all
kinds of devices must take to become part of the network.

--- draft-daniel-6lowpan-hilow-hierarchical-routing-01
The EUI-64 identifier of a 6LoWPAN device can be used as the interface
identifier of the IPv6 address, which can be used for for on-demand
multi-hop routing in 6LoWPAN. One of the distinctive feature of 6LoWPAN
is the capability of the dynamic assignment of 16- bit short addresses.
By utilizing this dynamically assigned short address, a hierarchical
routing which is very scalable can be employed. This This document
defines a dynamic address assignment scheme and hierarchical routing
HiLow) based on the assignment.

--- draft-daniel-6lowpan-load-adhoc-routing-03
6LoWPAN Ad Hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing (LOAD) is intended for
use by IEEE 802.15.4 devices in a 6LoWPAN. It is a simplified on-demand
routing protocol based on AODV.

--- draft-daniel-6lowpan-sslp-01
The Simple Service Location Protocol (SSLP) provides a framework for the
discovery and selection of the services working on 6LoWPAN. The protocol
has a simple structure that is easy to be implemented on 6LoWPAN devices
that are characterized by short range, low bit rate and low power. The
protocol also offers a mechanism for interoperability with the IP
networks under SLP. It enables communication between 6LoWPAN and other
IP networks.

--- draft-dokaspar-6lowpan-routreq-02
This document provides the problem statement for mesh routing below the
IP layer (in 6LoWPAN's adaptation layer). It also defines major design
goals and requirements for 6LoWPAN mesh routing considering the
low-power characteristics of the network and its devices.

--- draft-ekim-6lowpan-scenarios-00
This document investigates potential application scenarios and use cases
for low-power wireless personal area networks (LoWPANs).

--- draft-hui-6lowpan-hc1g-00
This document specifies a stateless IP header compression scheme for
IPv6 packet delivery in 6LoWPAN subnetworks. The compression scheme
focuses on LoWPAN nodes that may have global unicast addresses assigned
to their interfaces.

--- draft-hui-6lowpan-interop-00
This memo defines a first step in testing and demonstrating the
interoperability of independent 6LoWPAN implementations.

--- draft-montenegro-6lowpan-dymo-low-routing-03
This document specifies how to use the Dynamic MANET On-demand Routing
Protocol over IEEE802.15.4 networks.

--- draft-oh-6lowpan-packetbb-dymoapp-01
This document describes the applicability of the generalized MANET
packet/message format (packetbb) and the dynamic MANET on-demand (DYMO)
routing protocol over 6LoWPAN. In order to achieve low memory usage and
low processing overhead, this document suggests what is to be modified
from the MANET base specifications.

--- draft-shin-6lowpan-mobility-00
This draft lists mobility scenarios and suggests solutions of how to
provide mobility support in IPv6 low-power personal area networks
(6LoWPANs).

--- draft-thubert-lowpan-backbone-router-00
ISA100.11a is a Working Group at the ISA SP100 standard committee that
covers Wireless Systems for Industrial Automation and Process Control.
The WG is mandated to design a scalable, industrial grade LowPAN for
devices such as sensors, valves, and actuators. The upcoming standard
uses the 6LoWPAN format for the network header. It also introduces the
concept of a Backbone Router to merge small LoWPANs via a high speed
transit and scale the ISA100.11a network. This paper proposes an IPv6
version of the Backbone Router concept.

=============== Expired Drafts ===============
--- draft-chakrabarti-6lowpan-ipv6-nd-03
IETF 6LowPan working group defines IPv6 over low-power personal area
network (IEEE 802.15.4). IEEE 802.15.4 link layer does not have
multicast support, although it supports broadcast. Due to the nature of
LowPan network or sensor networks, broadcast messages should be
minimized. This document suggests some optimizations to IPv6 Neighbor
Discovery related multicast messages in order to reduce signaling in the
low-cost low-powered network.

--- draft-chakrabarti-mobopts-lowpan-req-01
IETF LowPan working group defines IPv6 over low-power personal area
network (IEEE 802.15.4). Lowpan architecture allows routing to take
place at the link layer in order to save payload overhead over the IEEE
802.15.4 link and thus more efficient routing for low power, low
data-rate networks such as sensor networks. This document discusses a
few scenarios of mobility in LowPan network and states mobility
requirements and goals for LowPan networks.

--- draft-daniel-6lowpan-interoperability-01
This document specifies the gateway architecture for the
interoperability between 6LoWPAN and external IPv6 networks. The gateway
does the compression and decompression of IPv6 packets and performs the
mapping between 16 bit short addresses and the IPv6 addresses for both
the external IPv6 networks and 6LowPAN, respectively.

--- draft-daniel-6lowpan-security-analysis-01
This document discusses possible threats and security options for
IPv6-over-IEEE802.15.4 networks. It is an informational document to
raise awareness of security issues in IPv6 lowPan networks.

--- draft-guha-lowpan-mobility-protocol-req-00
In this draft, we propose some protocol requirements for mobility in
LowPAN networks within the context of the IETF LowPAN working group
(IPv6 over IEEE 802.15.4). To achieve mobility in LowPAN networks, there
may be inter-domain movement of network elements across different LowPAN
domains or across domains that do not comprise LowPAN autonomous
systems. To address routing issues in inter-domain LowPAN networks that
conform to fitting within a single IEEE 802.15.4 frame, there are needs
for collaborative and distributed methodologies for route computation,
information storage and retrieval, and security issues in protocols
targeted to LowPAN mobility. This draft proposes some requirements of
mobility in LowPAN protocols from the perspective of
protocol-independent metrics, algorithm complexities, scalability and
security criteria.

--- draft-montenegro-lowpan-aodv-00
This document describes how to use the Ad Hoc On-Demand Vector Protocol
(AODV) in IEEE 802.15.4 networks.

--- draft-sarikaya-6lowpan-forwarding-00
This document describes a simple approach to interconnect IEEE 802.15.4
sensor nodes to IPv6 Internet. The technique requires a gateway node
that is connected to both the sensor network and the IPv6 Internet. The
gateway node runs the serial forwarder over IPv6. Sensor nodes run the
open-source TinyOS operating system and generate TinyOS packets. The
sensor network can be accessed from IPv6 Internet using a Web interface
and the serial forwarder that runs in the applets enables
reception/transmission of TinyOS packets over IPv6.

_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: Bernard Tourancheau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 15:40:00 +0100

> this time until the path becomes more clear with respect to the RL2N
On that subject,
We are studying several possibilities and http://www.watersprings.org/ 
pub/id/draft-chelius-adhoc-ipv6-00.txt seems to be very appropriate  
for the discussion.
Bernard.

---

From: "Eunsook \"Eunah\" Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:52:34 +0900

Dear Geoff,

We submitted application-scenario-01 already.
And, as I remember we agreed to handle 'routing requirements' for
6lowpan mesh routing, although we don't handle the solutions.
Dominik and I will submit routreq-03 for discussion.
We updated the draft based on the meeting discussion.

Thanks,
-eunah (eunsook)

---

From: "Samita Chakrabarti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:43:45 -0800

Hi Geoff,

Please see in-line.

> interested in presenting their drafts at this next IETF, please let

Regarding the 6lowpan-nd draft, we had a presentation at the Chicago IETF
and received comments. We requested for working group approval at that
time, but I was asked to wait for the architecture document.

I had updated the 6lowpan wiki based on architectural assumptions that
6lowpan-nd
draft makes. If anyone has any comments on the topology assumptions,
that would be helpful. For example, should we stick to the
hierarchical topology as
depicted in the IEEE802.15.4 doc? Or should 6lowpan-nd goal  be to also
support a small mesh-network (not only hierarchical mesh as it discusses now)?
I had a request from Jim Bound to think about that option as well.

So far, there is no plan for presentation of this draft in this IETF.
But  comments through Wiki or mailing list would be really helpful.

> I do hope that we will dust off the ND and security analysis drafts.

draft-chakrabarti-6lowpan-ipv6-nd version 04 has just been submitted.
The changes are very minimal from 03 currently; it addresses some editorial
comments from Dave Thaler.

We are working on discussing off-line addressing Dave's techical
comments. There will be another revision of the draft before the
Philadelphia IETF.

Besides, if bootstrapping is added as part of that draft, then this
draft will need more update.

Thanks so much,
-Samita

---

From: "Ki-Hyung Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:40:52 +0900

Geoff,

The management draft (draft-daniel-lowpan-mib-00.txt) is missing in your
active and expired draft lists.
It deals with the 6lowpan MIB definition.

-- 
Ki-Hyung Kim (김기형, 金起亨)
Associate Professor
Division of Information and Computer Eng., Ajou University, Suwon, Korea
442-749
Tel: +82-31-219-2433, Cel: +82-10-4760-2551,  Fax: +82-31-219-2433
http://www.6lowpan.org
_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: "Ki-Hyung Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:42:29 +0900

Geoff and Carsten,
Can I ask a time slot in the next IETF meeting on presenting the
commissioning and bootstrapping issues in 6lowpan?