Subject: [6lowpan] Multicast mapping

From: Guido Moritz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:52:27 +0100

Hi,

I found some documentation about compression of multicast headers. But
I could not find information how multicast is mapped to 802.15.4.

In a Beacon enabled network, does every endpoint (RFD) has to wake up
and receive the message from the coordinator/router (FFD) before
analyzing it on IP layer and detecting, that it don't wants to have
it? So this is a quit big issue, because every multicast packet would
flood the complete network. As I know IPv6 can define multicast groups
and addresses which are even forwarded by routers (site-local and its
successor?!). So even external multicasts can flood networks with
6LoWPAN?!
Or are the routers/coordinators "intelligent" enough and an
endpoint (RFD) can "advise" the router/coordinator to forward the
specific multicast messages?

Are any information for this somewhere to be found?

Thank you for your help...

Kind Regards

Guido Moritz

-------------------------
Dipl. Ing. Guido Moritz
Universitaet Rostock, Fakultaet f. Informatik und Elektrotechnik
Institut f. Angewandte Mikroelektronik und Datentechnik
University of Rostock, Department of CS and EE
Institute of Applied Microelectronics and Computer Engineering
Richard-Wagner Str. 31, 18119 Rostock-Warnemuende
Phone:  +49 (0)381 498 - 7269
http://www.imd.uni-rostock.de
http://www.aal-rostock.de

_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan